VEEP
Friday Night Lights
The West Wing
Downton Abbey
Mad Men
6 Feet Under
Sopranos
Sex and the City

I'm looking for suggestions during the holidays - either movies or TV series and why you think it's worth watching. Please help :)

I assume you have done Breaking Bad already.

I assume you have done Breaking Bad already.
I only got to the episode where they tried to melt the guy in the bath tub in the first season. I know, I know, I should continue it. Maybe start from the beginning again? I think I might need something a little lighter tho right now.

thanks, will consider this one

Jessica Jones is killer.
hmm, I'm intrigued - another great suggestion

Storyline
Ever since her short-lived stint as a superhero ended in tragedy, Jessica Jones has been rebuilding her personal life and career as a hot-tempered, sardonic private detective in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Plagued by self-loathing and a wicked case of PTSD, Jessica battles demons from within and without, using her extraordinary abilities as an unlikely champion for those in need... especially if they're willing to cut her a check

Walking Dead
A&E app

House of Cards

House of Cards YES. Walking Dead, yeah that's not my bag. I'm not into the zombies or vampires thing, they give me nightmares. thanks, HoC with Kevin Spacey and politics. That moved right up to the top of the queue

Amazon Prime - Justified
FX Now - Fargo
I don't have Prime, they screwed me on The West Wing when I was right in the middle of the 4th season which is how I ended up with Netflix. Fargo however my brother tells me he watches and is good, with Ted Danson. another good one on the list

and thank you everyone for responding. I've been sitting here bored out of my mind but my mind is fried from work so I couldn't think of any show to get into. I need something where I can escape for a few hours, these are all great suggestions.

Wait - should I take that list to mean you haven't watched The Wire?

Go start The Wire. Don't come back until you've finished all five seasons. This, I command.

If you choose to give Amazon Prime another chance: Vikings. Fairly historically accurate, fascinating tidbits on Norse shipbuilding technology and military tactics, and terrific cast. Not to mention tons of battle / action scenes.

Wait - should I take that list to mean you haven't watched The Wire?

Go start The Wire. Don't come back until you've finished all five seasons. This, I command.
no, only a few episodes way back in the day when the first season was on HBO. I knew someone would say The Wire, reminds me of that Family episode. okay, okay, that's where I'll start.

I'm also looking for a show

I don't watch shows but I did watch breaking bad and it was great

Any suggestions?? Haven't seen anything else. Hear house of cards is good

If you choose to give Amazon Prime another chance: Vikings. Fairly historically accurate, fascinating tidbits on Norse shipbuilding technology and military tactics, and terrific cast. Not to mention tons of battle / action scenes.
this review sounds great, this show is definitely in my wheelhouse. May have to reconsider Prime. thanks!

The show basically revolves around one Norse clan. Travis Fimmel plays Ragnar, who in the early episodes is constructed as a family man who yearns to break free from the oppression of his tribe's leader (Gabriel Byrne as Earl Haraldson). Setting on his own course, he recruits a small band of brothers to attempt a victorious raid to the west in defiance of the Earl's express wishes. There will be numerous repercussions to this decision as the various parties jostle for power and any grasp on true leadership is tenuous at best.

It is the GREATEST SHOW IN HISTORY and don't let Ragman2000 tell you otherwise.

Must...resist...bait...gaaaaaaaaaaah.

The Wire is overrated. Breaking Bad is the most perfect art ever to grace your television and is the best show during the golden age of amazing TV we are experiencing right now. Anyone who disagrees with me is offically a giant poopoo head, pardon my french, no exceptions. Especially you jekelish

Must...resist...bait...gaaaaaaaaaaah.

The Wire is overrated. Breaking Bad is the most perfect art ever to grace your television and is the best show during the golden age of amazing TV we are experiencing right now. Anyone is disagrees with me is offically a giant poopoo head, pardon my french, no exceptions. Especially you jekelish
I will fight you.

It is the GREATEST SHOW IN HISTORY and don't let Ragman2000 tell you otherwise.
If by "it" you mean LOST, you are correct.

While I'm on the subject if you liked LOST and/or Twin Peaks and aren't watching The Leftovers you don't know what you're missing. Season 2 of The Leftovers is the best single season of TV I have ever seen.

HBO hits more than it misses. If you pick a random series on HBOGo, the odds are you will land on something good. Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned:

Boardwalk Empire - it's not the Sopranos, but nothing is

Deadwood - you have to pay me to watch westerns, but this
is great

In Treatment - enjoy the emotional pain of others

Curb Your Enthusiasm - legendary

Entourage - meathead drama at its best

Rome - Game of Thrones without the white walkers; much of it actually happened

Bored to Death - made me love Ted Danson again

Family Tree - if you like Christopher Guest mockumemtaries (e.g., Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, This is Spinal Tap); a tragedy that it only got one season

Netflix

Bloodline - it's just good

Narcos - organized crime is so good when it's done well

Derek - The Office spiked with sentimentality

Freaks and Geeks - a tragedy that it only got one season

Arrested Development - you'll never settle for mediocre sitcoms (e.g., The Big Bang Theory) after watching this

The Gilmore Girls - I didn't want to like this, but I'm a sucker for wit

The Twilight Zone - you don't have to wait for the New Year's marathon on SyFy

HBO hits more than it misses. If you pick a random series on HBOGo, the odds are you will land on something good. Here are some that I haven't seen mentioned:

Boardwalk Empire - it's not the Sopranos, but nothing is

Deadwood - you have to pay me to watch westerns, but this
is great

In Treatment - enjoy the emotional pain of others

Curb Your Enthusiasm - legendary

Entourage - meathead drama at its best

Rome - Game of Thrones without the white walkers; much of it actually happened

Bored to Death - made me love Ted Danson again

Family Tree - if you like Christopher Guest mockumemtaries (e.g., Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, This is Spinal Tap); a tragedy that it only got one season

Netflix

Bloodline - it's just good

Narcos - organized crime is so good when it's done well

Derek - The Office spiked with sentimentality

Freaks and Geeks - a tragedy that it only got one season

Arrested Development - you'll never settle for mediocre sitcoms (e.g., The Big Bang Theory) after watching this

The Gilmore Girls - I didn't want to like this, but I'm a sucker for wit

The Twilight Zone - you don't have to wait for the New Year's marathon on SyFy
I really enjoyed Bloodline.