I'm in on Taylor | Syracusefan.com

I'm in on Taylor

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I think we need to see his run extended a bit as the games get tougher. He is finding his way like all the Frosh are but he seems to make a big steal (had a tip from behind last night), and just seems more advanced at the little things. Successful players impact the game more than just making shots and he seems to find a play or two in his limited minutes, and we can't erase the night he carried us offensively.

Not sure what Bell's upside is over JT but if we are voting I am in the boat of giving JT a chance to play thru some mistakes.

I think we need to see his run extended a bit as the games get tougher. He is finding his way like all the Frosh are but he seems to make a big steal (had a tip from behind last night), and just seems more advanced at the little things. Successful players impact the game more than just making shots and he seems to find a play or two in his limited minutes, and we can't erase the night he carried us offensively.

Not sure what Bell's upside is over JT but if we are voting I am in the boat of giving JT a chance to play thru some mistakes.
I'm in on this as well. We should see a HEAVY dose of JT next year so the more minutes he can get this year the better. Really like his game.

I wish JB would rotate them about every eight minutes. Let them know when they will play and help them build confidence. It’s ok to sub players even if they are playing well. This helps them build confidence. Taylor did a great job cutting across the lane for a steal. Benny had the same opportunity latter and didn’t react and they scored an easy basket. Benny just goes brain dead during games. He has to learn to play when things aren’t going well for him.

Benny just goes brain dead during games. He has to learn to play when things aren’t going well for him.
I know this is a Taylor thread, but listening to JB in the presser, he is clearly flustered as we all are with Benny.

Its just never going to click with him...I'm sure I'll post "I think its going to click" after the next 15-10 game he has. Someone virtually slap me when it happens

I know this is a Taylor thread, but listening to JB in the presser, he is clearly flustered as we all are with Benny.

Its just never going to click with him...I'm sure I'll post "I think its going to click" after the next 15-10 game he has. Someone virtually slap me when it happens

Never want to give up on a kid and hope it clicks. That said if it does not I hope Benny finds a good mid major he can be a go to guy at and finishes his college career on a big positive. He just seems to have the same struggles Moyer did.. not the same players but the same inability to have a good game and then replicate it. Benny is a better talent of course but the mental aspect is just not there.

I like Taylor's game. He's very composed for a freshman. Can certainly shoot, gets some rebounds, plays good positional defense. Most freshmen look lost in the zone and where they are supposed to be but he doesn't. Bell can shoot the 3 and has plus athleticism. His problem is he's 175 lbs playing the front line. He needs to add weight and get stronger. I hope he sticks it out because as he gains strength he'll be much better. You can't really expect a 175 lb kid to be good under the boards. The staff continues to recruit skinny kids and the thinner they are the longer it takes for them to fill out and play better.

I like Taylor's game. He's very composed for a freshman. Can certainly shoot, gets some rebounds, plays good positional defense. Most freshmen look lost in the zone and where they are supposed to be but he doesn't. Bell can shoot the 3 and has plus athleticism. His problem is he's 175 lbs playing the front line. He needs to add weight and get stronger. I hope he sticks it out because as he gains strength he'll be much better. You can't really expect a 175 lb kid to be good under the boards. The staff continues to recruit skinny kids and the thinner they are the longer it takes for them to fill out and play better.

edit: you are correct

Last edited:
I wish JB would rotate them about every eight minutes. Let them know when they will play and help them build confidence. It’s ok to sub players even if they are playing well. This helps them build confidence. Taylor did a great job cutting across the lane for a steal. Benny had the same opportunity latter and didn’t react and they scored an easy basket. Benny just goes brain dead during games. He has to learn to play when things aren’t going well for him.
That play, or lack thereof, by Benny was the only play I got to see last night. Oddly enough Justin and Jesse were attempting a trap in the corner and Benny didn’t recognize the cutter. Terrible awareness.

Im in on Taylor getting more run as well. Better instincts and effort

I don't think stick figure when I see Taylor. You can see that he's been in a weight room before, at least. fwiw, he's listed at 200, so he's probably closer to 190 than 175. Anyway, I see something with him that I don't/haven't seen with our other string bean forwards... Skill. I think he could grow into being a focal point of the team in future years.
Pretty sure he’s talking about Bell at 175.

I like JT over Bell in the long run if it's one or the other.

I really don't enjoy Bell starting.

I'm in the camp that I'm glad we have both Taylor and Bell, and a 20/20 minutes split is ideal.

They both are working with some talent and decent raw materials, just need to keep improving and finding their way in their minutes.

I think Bell has a bit more upside. His height as a shooter is a big plus, and we've seen more "athleticism" driven plays out of him with some of his blocks and moves on the break. That said, I've never seen us put a more mechanical player on the floor. He looks like a guy that's done a million pull up drills in his life, but never went and played ball at the playground. Does that make sense? The dividends can be so high as he plays more meaningful basketball and some of these things we take for granted become more natural to him.

I do like that it appears clear Taylor has the green light to let it fly when he's open deep. All of our small forwards (I include Benny there too) should feel good letting it go when they get a wide open look.

Never want to give up on a kid and hope it clicks. That said if it does not I hope Benny finds a good mid major he can be a go to guy at and finishes his college career on a big positive. He just seems to have the same struggles Moyer did.. not the same players but the same inability to have a good game and then replicate it. Benny is a better talent of course but the mental aspect is just not there.
Benny is way better than Moyer. Benny is frustratingly inconsistent and, yes can go brain dead, but he’s just a sophomore. He needs to toughen up and sharpen up mentally. But I believe he’ll become more consistent and will be a key player for us as the season goes on.

Louisville had quality size and athleticism. That’s about all they had, but it was enough where you needed the extra size and strength of Taylor down low. I have liked bell at times but it’s possible a lot of those times we’re against smaller and less athletic opponents. Taylor is technically an inch or two shorter but he looks a ton bigger out there. Should have gone to him sooner in the second.

Benny is way better than Moyer. Benny is frustratingly inconsistent and, yes can go brain dead, but he’s just a sophomore. He needs to toughen up and sharpen up mentally. But I believe he’ll become more consistent and will be a key player for us as the season goes on.

Yes he is better than Moyer which I was trying to relay. His issues with consistency are similar however. His bad games are really bad. Hopefully he will finally find his groove- so far every couple good games are followed by a bad game or two.

Way better? That’s a stretch.

Way better? That’s a stretch.
The only thing I remember from Moyer is it always appeared to me that he mainlined high test coffee in excessive amounts before every game. Twitchy in all the wrong ways. Benny can be like that but then seems to fall asleep at times.

He also turns the ball over much less than the others and he gets steals: 3 and 10. Bell is 13 and 4, so that is +16 possessions difference!

Moyer had some decent games until his parents pissed off JB. In fact he was our best player in the Garden against UConn in a game I was at. He’s another guy that probably pooped his career away by breaking away from JB.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom