I'm probably a bad American for saying this... | Syracusefan.com

I'm probably a bad American for saying this...

Eric15

Living Legend
…but I just think the Winter Olympics are kind of dull.

Every night I try and give them a shot because I feel like it's my patriotic duty (and because I think the snow and mountains look amazing in HD), but I always end up getting bored after about 20 minutes and gravitating towards whatever college basketball is on.

Like right now, it's either Florida/Tennessee or the Women's Ski Slopestyle. Sorry, ladies.

eao1115 said:
…but I just think the Winter Olympics are kind of dull. Every night I try and give them a shot because I feel like it's my patriotic duty (and because I think the snow and mountains look amazing in HD), but I always end up getting bored after about 20 minutes and gravitating towards whatever college basketball is on. Like right now, it's either Florida/Tennessee or the Women's Ski Slopestyle. Sorry, ladies.

I personally can't stand any Olympics at all. Id rather watch a Lifetime Movie with Kristie Alley in the lead role.

I personally can't stand any Olympics at all. Id rather watch a Lifetime Movie with Kristie Alley in the lead role.
That sounds like you have a girlfriend and/or wife. I'm so sorry to hear that. Well, unless it's girlfriend and wife. It doesn't get better. Over at casa de tee, we have the little house on the prairie boxed set. All 800 disks. .

tee1222 said:
Hmmm My wife says I have a listening problem. I tell her it's a filtering problem.

And my ex said I had a problem not being perverted. I told her if she never got them done I wouldn't want to touch them so often. Her fault.

I love the olympics. With that said i havent watched one second. 23-0 and games every night. Sorry America

Its funny the MD fans where I work won't talk college bball with me much anymore because I watch MD as much as them and know more about them which personally I feel is limited compared to some other teams.

Hey rest of the world. America is here.

uncle-sam.png

For some reason, I don't care if the US wins at anything in any Olympic competition.

Let the Norwegians win at ice skating. For chrissakes, we don't have to win everything.

We already have most of the world's food, money, military power, etc., etc. We have college sports, the NFL, MLB, NBA and all the football, basketball and baseball (and lacrosse) anyone could want.

Do we really have to win the downhill skiing?

That sounds like you have a girlfriend and/or wife. I'm so sorry to hear that. Well, unless it's girlfriend and wife. It doesn't get better. Over at casa de tee, we have the little house on the prairie boxed set. All 800 disks. .
ugh...I absolutely love the genre and the period, but for some reason could never cotton to LHOTP.

Olympic Ice Hockey is pretty much the only winter Olympic sport that's relevant to a wide audience. So just watch that, it's the highest level of competition you will see in the sport since there is no World Cup equivalent for it.

NFL/NBA/MLB are, in the end, boring because there is no country pride behind the sports. They are only relevant in the U.S. since no one else plays those sports seriously and we don't follow futbol (soccer) here that much. Rooting for your country is way more fun than rooting for some random city team which gets moved every few years anyway.

I feel connected to 'Cuse sports of course because I went to the school but I couldn't care less about any pro teams. I would root for our futbol team though, just wish it was more popular here and our athletes actually went into the sport that other countries play.

Last edited:
Dog show.. I tell you best sports event on tv right now is the Westminster Dog Show. One of my favorite events of the year.
I'll never forget while I was working at MSG walking down in the underworld of the arena completely oblivious to the fact that the dog show was in town. I stumbled upon the area where all the dogs and owners were settling in. For the most part, the owners were incredibly friendly and the dogs were the same, but then again I wasn't anywhere near the toy group or any of the dogs that required a bunch of time to make sure their hair was right. It was the second biggest shock I ever came upon while working there, second only to turning the corner and being face to face with a giant bull while PBR was in town.

Dog show.. I tell you -- best sports event on tv right now is the Westminster Dog Show. One of my favorite events of the year. USA Network. 242 on directv.
Happy to see although he didn't win, the Akita took 3rd in the working group...my dog...

When I was a kid I loved the Olympics, and of course I was all about the USA. But now I realize athletes everywhere work hard and have these amazing stories and are likely to be as deserving as their American counterparts, if not more. I guess it's hard for me to watch most competitions if I don't have someone to root for and I waste too much time on the net as it is, or downloading movies.

Of course anyone who can remember the Miracle on Ice, even if you weren't old enough to fully appreciate it's significance, had to have been moved if you call yourself a fan of sport. No? That's probably the earliest sports memory that is still in my head. The parts of the world we teach kids(and adults) to hate nowadays aren't exactly olympic powerhouses.

Count me as someone who loves the Olympics. The combination of national pride, unique athletic prowess, and the rarity of it all (once every 4 years) sucks me in every time.

Downhill alpine skiing is the most insane, dangerous sport I've ever seen. I can't look away. Even other events like slopestyle, bobsled, ski jumping and figure skating (yeah, I said it!!) feature such unique athletic capabilities and discipline. Plus they all do it for the love of the game and their country. Gotta love it!

Dog show.. I tell you -- best sports event on tv right now is the Westminster Dog Show. One of my favorite events of the year. USA Network. 242 on directv.
It should have been the Corgi or the Bloodhound. I can't really blame the finalist judge because she was having more eye trouble than Bob Costas.

I'd be all in on that if only it was the "Westminster Golden Retriever Show." Love my goldens.