I'm Starting a Genealogy Board | Syracusefan.com

I'm Starting a Genealogy Board

temery

What?
1). I have created a genealogy site (McHugo.net) some of you may be interested in. It's basically for anyone to post questions about finding ancestors, breaking down brick walls in your own trees, locating newspaper articles, obituaries, etc.

I have a subscription to pretty much every site, including but not limited to:

FTDNA.com
23andme.com
Ancestry.com
Newspapers.com
Genealogybank.com
www.rootsireland.ie
gedmatch tier 1 (useful for triangulation)

Feel free to register a username and ask and/or answer questions (feel free to use a different username to protect you identity here). I'd be happy to help with the research, and my hope is other will be willing and able to do so as well.

2). The new site will also be used to eventually host some of the off topic forums. Beware, the current off topic/politics board will be first. See the post below for more info:

https://syracusefan.com/threads/new-independent-politics-board.142428/

Last edited:
Just keep in mind you might find a scion of the family you never knew about. ;)

Are you familiar with familysearch.org? Their offices are in the city I live in, and one of my neighbors works there. They do some cool stuff.
I use Family Search. Annoyingly, there's quite a bit of stuff that is exclusive to the Ancestry family of sites.

I use Family Search. Annoyingly, there's quite a bit of stuff that is exclusive to the Ancestry family of sites.
This sounds like a discussion for the new forum.

1553606313008.png

1). I have created a genealogy site (McHugo.net) some of you may be interested in. It's basically for anyone to post questions about finding ancestors, breaking down brick walls in your own trees, locating newspaper articles, obituaries, etc.

FTDNA.com
23andme.com
Ancestry.com
Newspapers.com
Genealogybank.com
www.rootsireland.ie

Feel free to register a username and ask and/or answer questions (feel free to use a different username to protect you identity here). I'd be happy to help with the research, and my hope is other will be willing and able to do so as well.

2). The new site will also be used to eventually host some of the off topic forums. Beware, the current off topic/politics board will be first. See the post below for more info:

I have been working on a family tree through ancestry.com since about December.
One of the best things you can do to speed up the process on ancestry.com is to subscribe to the advanced services, the best of which allows you to compare your ancestors to other people's public family trees.

I've been able to trace my mother's family back to England in the 1500s or so on ancestry.com. Then, I came across this web site, which provides lineages for English and French knights. This allowed me to connect the end of the church records from ancestry.com with older lines of peerage that literally goes back before the Norman Invasion.

Great stuff. You can look people up by last name: KNIGHTs from Continental Europe to England/Ireland, to Philadelphia (PA), to France

My sister did this recently. Found out we are...

43% British
27% Italian
15% German
9% French
4% Irish
1% Moroccan (found that one interesting)

My sister did this recently. Found out we are...

43% British
27% Italian
15% German
9% French
4% Irish
1% Moroccan (found that one interesting)

Yeah, when I did the 23 & Me saliva test, I came back as 1% West African.
So, after joining ancestry.com going back by family tree, I found not only did I have a slave ancestor, but 2 of them, along with at least 2, and perhaps 3 Native American or mixed blood ancestors (called "Lumbee Indians" in the South, a rough equivalent to "Creoles" in Louisiana or "Jackson Whites" in Revolutionary War New Jersey).

Are these sites close to being accurate? A friend used 3 different sites and each produced a different mix relative to origin. Are they legally valid? As example if someone where to find out that they were Native American would they be allowed that status by the government.
Another example would be if you were shown to be related to someone who is wealthy. Would you have any claim on an estate or inheritance.

Are these sites close to being accurate? A friend used 3 different sites and each produced a different mix relative to origin. Are they legally valid? As example if someone where to find out that they were Native American would they be allowed that status by the government.
Another example would be if you were shown to be related to someone who is wealthy. Would you have any claim on an estate or inheritance.
Ok just did some research. The overall view from actual scientists in the field is that the results are a guesstimate at best. Once you get past your immediate family its a crap shoot. 40 % or more of potential disease/health concerns are false positives. As example one test didnt recognize dog saliva vs Human. Or maybe it was Coon Dogs test. Bottom line is the are fun, provide some good basic background on potential ancestry and genetic tendencies but they are certainly not to be relied on when it comes to anything medically important

It’s been accurate enough for law enforcement to find murderers whose relatives have submitted their DNA to these genealogical sites. DNA profiles from ancestry websites helped identify the Golden State Killer suspect

It is true the more people who submit their DNA to these sites the more accurate origins become so they do adjust them over time to be more accurate.

A cousin of mine (we have the same great grandparents- our grandmothers were sisters) asked me if I’d submit my DNA to ancestry.com about 6 years ago to test if it’s accurate or a scam since he had just gotten his results. He has a different last name, lives in a different state and ancestry.com related us accurately saying that we were 2nd cousins and told us how many DNA segments matches we have and share with others who submitted their DNA. They have now found over 430 matches for me from as far as New Zealand, Australia, England and Ireland (yes I have 90% Irish background). I found out from one of the New Zealanders that my great great uncle left Tipperary Ireland with a sister and another brother to Queensland Australia in the 1880’s and his great grandmother and her husband moved to New Zealand in the late 1930’s to New Zealand. My great grandfather and a brother, the 2 youngest(20 and 21 years old) left Tipperary , Ireland for the US and Syracuse, NY a little earlier in the 1880’s as their two brothers and a sister left for Australia. Why then we’d love to know but we do know that our DNA results matched us with their families and linked us, which we would never have known otherwise.

A spit test doesn't prove anything, legally speaking. There has to be enough samples in the database to compare to, and they say up front that they are under-represented in certain ethnic groups, including Native Americans.

But the ancestry.com family trees are just that - marriage records, names of parents listed on birth certificates, divorce and burial records, census information, military records, baptisms, etc. So that's as legit as it gets. These are all official records.

Ok just did some research. The overall view from actual scientists in the field is that the results are a guesstimate at best. Once you get past your immediate family its a crap shoot. 40 % or more of potential disease/health concerns are false positives. As example one test didnt recognize dog saliva vs Human. Or maybe it was Coon Dogs test. Bottom line is the are fun, provide some good basic background on potential ancestry and genetic tendencies but they are certainly not to be relied on when it comes to anything medically important

Yes, I would never do the disease test that 23 & Me pushes, because of fear of false positives, and frankly, I don't want to know all the diseases that I have some statistical risk of getting or not. I just don't want to know.

FTDNA.com
23andme.com
Ancestry.com
Newspapers.com
Genealogybank.com
www.rootsireland.ie

According to Twenty three and Me I am 3% Neanderthal.

I wonder if there is a family reunion I can go to.

I don't know why, but I've never been interested in knowing anything more than who my grandparents are. And I got that from first person interaction.

I do understand however why a lot of people desire to know more about their family tree.

To each their own.

I don't know why, but I've never been interested in knowing anything more than who my grandparents are. And I got that from first person interaction.

I do understand however why a lot of people desire to know more about their family tree.

To each their own.

In my case, my daughter is an only child and we don't have much extended family (cousins, etc.) who live in different states, and who she is not very close to.

I made a conscious decision to sacrifice economically in my career in order to give her a better education here in Syracuse than she would have gotten in New Jersey. I also find that it is much easier to build a support network and get to know people in Syracuse than it is in Metro NYC or NJ or Boston. People have time to meet with people. The pace of life is slower here. She could learn to drive a car here, which she probably never would be able to do in NYC, NJ or Boston.

So, for all those reasons, she's not going to have much family in her adult life, and she has decided that she doesn't want to have children. So for her, giving her as rich a story of her heritage and ancestors is super-important to helping her build a positive self-image, and to have a true and real sense of where she came from.

And damned if it didn't turn out that there are some amazing stories in our family history. I am about 1/2 done writing it (45 pages so far) and need to get it wrapped up so I can send it to my mother, who is ill with Parkinson's, before she dies.

The 23andMe results are misleading to most people. they don't say what most people think the say and DNA is less important than culture anyway.

I'd encourage every one to do this basic family tree research because it's a lot of fun and people should know their family history.

I have tracked all four branches of my family back to the 1600's. I know where they lived, what they did for a Living and what religion they were. In some cases, I
know where the went to school. These days it would have been simpler because of all the online resources stating with Family Search.

Europeans are much more conscious of their family tree than Americans are. I have visited family members in Ireland, France and Germany in their homes. It's an incredible experience.

Your ability to do this is affected greatly by where they emigrated from and when they got to the US. If, for example, you have ancestors who came from Ireland during the Great Famine, you are going to have a devil of a time finding them.

If you have German ancestors who came in the 1890's, you'll find a lot of info. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the Germans kept good records and the rural Irish did not.

In my experience, Ancestry is better for US records like City Directories and military service records.

Because 23 and Me gives me a slightly different answer, I pretty much have ignored it.

The best place to start is with the 1940 Census and then work back in time from there.

Be prepared for some surprises, some of them unpleasant. And you'll also find that some of the family oral history was incorrect or misinterpreted.

The 23andMe results are misleading to most people. they don't say what most people think the say and DNA is less important than culture anyway.

I'd encourage every one to do this basic family tree research because it's a lot of fun and people should know their family history.

I have tracked all four branches of my family back to the 1600's. I know where they lived, what they did for a Living and what religion they were. In some cases, I
know where the went to school. These days it would have been simpler because of all the online resources stating with Family Search.

Europeans are much more conscious of their family tree than Americans are. I have visited family members in Ireland, France and Germany in their homes. It's an incredible experience.

Your ability to do this is affected greatly by where they emigrated from and when they got to the US. If, for example, you have ancestors who came from Ireland during the Great Famine, you are going to have a devil of a time finding them.

If you have German ancestors who came in the 1890's, you'll find a lot of info. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the Germans kept good records and the rural Irish did not.

In my experience, Ancestry is better for US records like City Directories and military service records.

Because 23 and Me gives me a slightly different answer, I pretty much have ignored it.

The best place to start is with the 1940 Census and then work back in time from there.

Be prepared for some surprises, some of them unpleasant. And you'll also find that some of the family oral history was incorrect or misinterpreted.

Oh, geez, you ain't lying!

My wife's mother's family were rural Jews in "Galicia" - what is now the German/Poland/Czech border lands. There were pogroms, and entire villages were wiped out by Russians and Central European thugs in the late 1800s. What was left of my wife's mother's family were mostly killed in the Holocaust. Only a handful of her relatives made it to the US.

My mother's family, on the other hand, were early pioneers of Florida, having moved there from Georgia, and before that North Carolina, and before that, Jamestown, VA, where some of them first arrived in 1634.

Another branch of my mother's family had Quaker ancestors who immigrated to Connecticut from Lancashire, England (the birthplace of the Quaker / "Friends" movement), and then moved to Pennsylvania, which was the first colony in the New World that had religious freedom. Among those early settlers, one of them married a Native American, gave him an English sounding name, and tried to pass him off as Irish. LOL

One of our ancestors, in the Albritton family, was among Quaker families who were massacred by the Lenni Lenape natives in West PA when the sons of William Penn tried to renege on a treaty. Penn had actually purchased the original land for Pennsylvania, and the Lenni Lenape trusted Penn, and they could even appear in Quaker courts, and be treated fairly under the law.

Well, after this outrage by Penn's sons, who got a group of Iroquois drunk to try to get THEM to sell the Penns additional land that the Iroquois knew did not belong to them, that's what started the massacres on the frontier. A young pacifist Quaker relative suddenly moved, at age 18, to go fight Indians on the North Carolina border, which was about as far away from civilization as you could get in those days. So that's pretty persuasive circumstantial evidence that his parents were among the victims of these attacks. Well, along with the fact that his mother and father died in the same year, although they were about 15-20 years apart in age, and that was the year the son left PA for NC.

I found a lot of surprises. I had a couple ancestors who owned slaves. I had a couple other ancestors from Florida who fought for the Union in the cavalry during the Civil War. There was one ancestor who was born in 1776 in North Carolina, whose father had fought in the Revolution. His son fought for the South, but the father (then an old man, of course) remained a Union sympathizer. One of the slave owning relatives was killed by a former slave as he was en route to go collect his pension for having fought for the South in the war. A certain kind of justice, no doubt.

If you go far enough back, about 20 generations or so, one branch of our family tree ends with one of the bastard children of the historical John Bull, and was named for him, although no parents were listed on his birth certificate. "John Bull" became a symbol of Imperial England, much like 'Uncle Sam". But that version of the symbolic "John Bull" did not become popular until the early 1700s, after a series of newspaper political cartoons.

The original, historical John Bull was a composer and church organist. His claim to fame was that he was appointed the organist / composer for Queen Elizabeth I. He is the author of "God Save the Queen". It also turns out that Queen Elizabeth used him as a spy, and there are big gaps in his history - it's unknown where he was born, for instance (3 cities are listed as possibilities - 1 of which is the place where my bastard relative was born...).

John Bull used to like to take advantage of his position and power to deflower young teenage girls of noblemen, and had to flee England at one point, just ahead of the henchmen of one such enraged father. He wound up spending his later years in exile in Belgium, and the reasons why he couldn't return to England were shrouded in mystery. Well, except to a handful of angry fathers.

Last edited:

FTDNA.com
23andme.com
Ancestry.com
Newspapers.com
Genealogybank.com
www.rootsireland.ie

Traced my 6th great grandfather to Marie Antonnette

Unfortunately, so did my 6th great grandmother

Last edited:
I will pass this along to my mother and other relatives. My family is LDS and is very big into genealogy. She has done enough that her research normally generally goes further back than some of those sites (to my knowledge)...but I also dont know how much she has done on them.

FTDNA.com
23andme.com
Ancestry.com
Newspapers.com
Genealogybank.com
www.rootsireland.ie

Another source is books.google.com

They have scanned many 19th Century and even 18th Century newspapers from Europe. This info adds much context to marriage, birth and death records.