Important Read: B1G upfront Loaded Dollars for Maryland... | Syracusefan.com

Important Read: B1G upfront Loaded Dollars for Maryland...

arbitragegls

All Conference
As discussed in Washington Post Article link below, The B1G went after Maryland and Maryland decided it wanted more money upfront than either Nebraska or Rutgers received. Maryland President stated:
“There is no reason for us to leave,” Loh said. “So if we are going to consider, seriously, leaving, it has got to be worth our while.”

Additionally, there is this:
T"hose financial problems could include the ACC's $52 million buyout. The league has sued the school to recoup the entire exit fee. Maryland used its leverage to free up some Big Ten money earlier. Wonder what Nebraska thinks about that?"

So what does this all mean? First, Maryland whored itself to the B1G. The B1g was agreeable to Maryland's greed because it wanted to expand East. What this article unfortunately points out is that $$$$$$ are running the world of college sports...the ACC is working to find ways to increase payouts but this B1G scenario is probably difficult for universities to rebuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...5da16c-3fd0-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html

Discuss--the roller coaster ride is about to get rough!

As discussed in Washington Post Article link below, The B1G went after Maryland and Maryland decided it wanted more money upfront than either Nebraska or Rutgers received. Maryland President stated:
“There is no reason for us to leave,” Loh said. “So if we are going to consider, seriously, leaving, it has got to be worth our while.”

T"hose financial problems could include the ACC's $52 million buyout. The league has sued the school to recoup the entire exit fee. Maryland used its leverage to free up some Big Ten money earlier. Wonder what Nebraska thinks about that?"

So what does this all mean? First, Maryland whored itself to the B1G. The B1g was agreeable to Maryland's greed because it wanted to expand East. What this article unfortunately points out is that $$$$$$ are running the world of college sports...the ACC is working to find ways to increase payouts but this B1G scenario is probably difficult for universities to rebuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...5da16c-3fd0-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_story.html

For some reason every time I see Loh's name in print, it registers as LOL when I read it.

Not exactly sure how MD to B1G changes the landscape. All it shows is that MD was desperate for cash.

If anything, I think MD leaving solidifies the ACC. While the thought of moving was always there in the shadows, Maryland's move has given us a real and tangible example of a bad conference move...done purely for financial gain alone.

Maryland will be the litmus test for conference realignment. I believe they will be the "regret" school that shows the college world that money cannot be the only consideration when making moves.

It's possible that Maryland leaving may have lit a fire under ESPN's ass. Which is a good thing.

Not exactly sure how MD to B1G changes the landscape. All it shows is that MD was desperate for cash.

If anything, I think MD leaving solidifies the ACC. While the thought of moving was always there in the shadows, Maryland's move has given us a real and tangible example of a bad conference move...done purely for financial gain alone.

Maryland will be the litmus test for conference realignment. I believe they will be the "regret" school that shows the college world that money cannot be the only consideration when making moves.

Do you know of a specific ongoing scenario involving conferences and schools that makes you say this?

Oh, Maryland's move completely lit a fire under ESPN. They know FOX sports is going to be the favorite for the B1G's tier 1 rights in 2017 at the best ESPN will split the tier 1 rights with FOX and the B1G will get a lot of money from ESPN/FOX. ESPN realizes Virgnia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech are who the B1G are after and they have to be overpaying the ACC a couple of million a dollars a year to keep its investment in the ACC worth while. Maryland was vulnerable cause Kay Yow used up all of Maryland's rainy day funds to keep the AD viable and then she bounced to NC State to leave the mess to somebody else. Anderson the AD needed more cash and the B1G made them a 40 million dollar a year call girl.

As discussed in Washington Post Article link below, The B1G went after Maryland and Maryland decided it wanted more money upfront than either Nebraska or Rutgers received.

I hope like hell that there is strife and bickering in that conference, and that the other programs take it out on Maryland. Mr. Pelini, let the dogs loose.

these statements being public can't help UMD in their efforts of getting out of the $52M exit fee

I hope like hell that there is strife and bickering in that conference, and that the other programs take it out on Maryland. Mr. Pelini, let the dogs loose.

Maryland is not getting more money, they are just getting money earlier. Before you bring up "present value", I get that. Without knowing any details, we can't assume that Maryland is not paying some sort of premium for getting more $$$ up front.

Maryland had SOME leverage, although they were desperate underneath the surface. If they weren't desperate, they would have never done this. The negative blow-back by the fan base has yet to be felt.

Rutgers had no leverage and was beyond desperate and were no doubt dealt with accordingly. The only thing they brought to the party were cable subscribers and proximity to PSU. If RU basketball in the Big East is any guide, they'll continue to be at the bottom of everything.

Rutgers had no leverage and was beyond desperate and were no doubt dealt with accordingly.

Rutgers was desperate, no doubt. But we will have full membership and full equity in Year 6.

You also can't put a price tag on stability.

Rutgers was desperate, no doubt. But we will have full membership and full equity in Year 6.

You also can't put a price tag on stability.

Dude, go away. I mean seriously...up until last week, your program was giving handjobs to anyone affiliated with a major conference in hopes of finding a spot.

But I guess congratulations are in order. You made it to a stable conference. Just goes to show that if you work from your knees long enough....you can eventually suck your way to the top.

Great job, superhead.

Do you know of a specific ongoing scenario involving conferences and schools that makes you say this?
In previous threads it has been fairly well pointed out that the ACC has to undertake an effort to keep several of its universities happy...this ranges from the Notre Dame association, to providing a top cut to teams that go bowling/NCAA bball tournament to ACC network to demonstrating that exit fee is upholdable...several previous threads go into this

Maryland is not getting more money, they are just getting money earlier. Before you bring up "present value", I get that. Without knowing any details, we can't assume that Maryland is not paying some sort of premium for getting more $$$ up front.

Paying a premium? They have no money...

@Ourand_SBJ
There's a good chance many Maryland and Rutgers games won't be on TV when they join the Big 10. SBJ's story. http://bit.ly/TY3YnX

@Ourand_SBJ: B1G may keep Maryland/Rutgers off Big Ten Network unless local cable distributors place BTN on expanded basic tier

I can imagine the outrage when Rutgers games aren't available on tv.

Pitchforks_and_torches_by_TheMobplz.jpg

@Ourand_SBJ
There's a good chance many Maryland and Rutgers games won't be on TV when they join the Big 10. SBJ's story. http://bit.ly/TY3YnX

@Ourand_SBJ: B1G may keep Maryland/Rutgers off Big Ten Network unless local cable distributors place BTN on expanded basic tier

I can imagine the outrage when Rutgers games aren't available on tv.

Pitchforks_and_torches_by_TheMobplz.jpg

Cannot blackmail a population of people that don't care.

Overreach...

Gawd how epic would that be. The B1G Network refuses to show Rutgers games until they are put on the basic tier.

Cable company slaps the BiG Network back into reality by saying there is no demand to put the B1G on the basic tier.

B1G realizes they are stuck with Rutgers and no NYC marketshare...

Gawd how epic would that be. The B1G Network refuses to show Rutgers games until they are put on the basic tier.

Cable company slaps the BiG Network back into reality by saying there is no demand to put the B1G on the basic tier.

B1G realizes they are stuck with Rutgers and no NYC marketshare...

I asked the question once before and nobody answered. Would the Big 10 demand for basic tier be within the State of New Jersey itself or the DMA's ? In other words will the Big 10 get basic tier in the New York City DMA?

Cannot blackmail a population of people that don't care.

Overreach...

Remember when Cablevision didn't carry YES for the entire first year of that network's existence?

Remember how Time Warner didn't carry NFL Network for the first nine years of that network's existence?

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be super thrilled to pay 8X more to carry the BTN in NJ.

:crazy:

Remember when Cablevision didn't carry YES for the entire first year of that network's existence?

Remember how Time Warner didn't carry NFL Network for the first nine years of that network's existence?

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to be super thrilled to pay 8X more to carry the BTN in NJ.

more evidence that the BTN valuation projections are completely crazy

That was one of the things here that always got to me...the assumption that cable carriers want to add more channels. NJ and MD aren't Wisconsin where they need their Badgers to prepare them for the Packers.

That was one of the things here that always got to me...the assumption that cable carriers want to add more channels. NJ and MD aren't Wisconsin where they need their Badgers to prepare them for the Packers.

There have been many posts on this issue in response to the argument that all that matters is the size of the DMA. If that was true the Longhorn Network would be a terrific success right now instead of an epic failure. I love that the BiG is now stuck with Buthole U. Karma baby.