Improvements In Both Defense And Offense... | Syracusefan.com

Improvements In Both Defense And Offense...

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
I'm getting this impression that when Syracuse is playing it's zone defense at an optimal level of intensity, it helps our offensive movement/energy & also our shooters' "frame of mind." But it's kinda hard to argue, so I thought I'd solicit opinions on this idea.

I mean, we seem to see it whenever Boeheim's got his team in the NCAAT and they're upsetting their way up the seeding ladder. In recent NCAAT runs, our defense has been better than our offense, so much so that it has seemed to be our stand-out advantage over other teams.

Right now, our guys are playing the best zone defense they've played all year (maybe not historically great...) but also our best offense, as well. In fact, I'd say that we haven't had this good a balance between offense and defense since the Championship run with Melo.

Both improved significantly since mid-season. Is it simply a coincidence that Boeheim has coached roughly equal improvements in both the offensive and defensive performances of his team? Or are there symbiotic ways in which improving one automatically improves the other?

We have two, arguably three, bench players who improve the defense when they come in. I am sure that is a first in the JB era.
Maybe, I'm not sure of that. But I am sure that when he had Dion Waiters coming into games off the bench, it was a solid boost to the team offense...

Idk I still hold my breath in the first 8 minutes of each half, hoping we don’t dig a hole until the bench gets in. It wasn’t too long ago that we had posts complaining that kadary never gets to enter the game with a lead.

Idk I still hold my breath in the first 8 minutes of each half, hoping we don’t dig a hole until the bench gets in. It wasn’t too long ago that we had posts complaining that kadary never gets to enter the game with a lead.
Joe is playing excellent and making shots. Therefore that has not been an issue. I suspect Jimmy is playing to win and will do what is needed to achieve that. Jimmy was right, we need all three guards playing well and they are doing that.

Cuse!

I'm getting this impression that when Syracuse is playing it's zone defense at an optimal level of intensity, it helps our offensive movement/energy & also our shooters' "frame of mind." But it's kinda hard to argue, so I thought I'd solicit opinions on this idea.

I mean, we seem to see it whenever Boeheim's got his team in the NCAAT and they're upsetting their way up the seeding ladder. In recent NCAAT runs, our defense has been better than our offense, so much so that it has seemed to be our stand-out advantage over other teams.

Right now, our guys are playing the best zone defense they've played all year (maybe not historically great...) but also our best offense, as well. In fact, I'd say that we haven't had this good a balance between offense and defense since the Championship run with Melo.

Both improved significantly since mid-season. Is it simply a coincidence that Boeheim has coached roughly equal improvements in both the offensive and defensive performances of his team? Or are there symbiotic ways in which improving one automatically improves the other?
It is hard to compare our current zone to any prior year zones because now almost every opponent has at least two or three trey threats on the floor at any time, unlike years prior.

I attribute this years intra-season improvement in large part to the extra length provided by the bench guys - Jesse, Braz, and Kadary - now that they are finally in the rotation. Also, when bench guys get some minutes, starters have more energy when they are out there.

and that was proven over blown.

people forget that often in the zone if the guys are in the right spot the pass doesnt even get made, so no one notices how well guys are playing at times... They all notice if a guy seems to be late on the rotation to a spot even if that really isnt his fault but as result of covering up someone else's mistake.

It is hard to compare our current zone to any prior year zones because now almost every opponent has at least two or three trey threats on the floor at any time, unlike years prior.

I attribute this years intra-season improvement in large part to the extra length provided by the bench guys - Jesse, Braz, and Kadary - now that they are finally in the rotation. Also, when bench guys get some minutes, starters have more energy when they are out there.
Agree. Was surprised (to say the least) to hear JB say in the postgame PC that Buddy and Joe were his best Defensive guards. Not sure how or why he'd say that

Agree. Was surprised (to say the least) to hear JB say in the postgame PC that Buddy and Joe were his best Defensive guards. Not sure how or why he'd say that
IF he truly believes that, don't expect him to pull strings to get Kadary to stay.

I have to believe having 3 guys that can come off the bench helps. Minutes can be spread around and guys don't have to worry about conserving energy for late in the game.

You think Griff is better than Braswell on defense?

not at all what i said. I said the two guys on the bench are better than the starters on D, which i said was rare for a JB team

You think Griff is better than Braswell on defense?
Not asking me, but had a thought on it...All things equal. I think Bras is better in the zone..esspecially at rebounding and, frankly, just being taller and having longer arms help him affect shooters...but Griff has definitely had moments where his rotations were great and he was blocking a bunch of shots from behind on the weak side, but there are times he just sits and stares at everything going on around him. i have no doubt he can defend.

and that was proven over blown.
Proven by who? Einstein or Fauci? Total nonsense. We have consistently gotten off to bad starts. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Yeah, those big holes this team has dug for itself early in the two ACCT and two NCAAT games is troubling.

Proven by who? Einstein or Fauci? Total nonsense. We have consistently gotten off to bad starts. Where do you come up with this stuff?

by the actual numbers that had previously been posted.

I took a look at this back in early February, and found that the narrative of "we have consistently gotten off to bad starts" was mostly inaccurate:

I'll try to update this with our more recent performances, but my prediction is that sometimes we get off to good starts, and sometimes we get off to bad starts. For most people, depending on which side of the argument you're on (Joe starting or Kadary starting), you can make the stats work to bolster your case either way.

So it wasn't one of the 1/2 dozen by Gutierrez that showed how much better we played per minute with Kadary in the game vs. Joe. Those tweets were shocking. I saw them and can paste them for you. The only thing proven to me is that we would do better if Joe came off the bench, but he has been a godsend since the injury to Kadary. I love it, hardly any hero shots and hustling his butt off. Thanks for the chat.

So it wasn't one of the 1/2 dozen by Gutierrez that showed how much better we played per minute with Kadary in the game vs. Joe. Those tweets were shocking. I saw them and can paste them for you. The only thing proven to me is that we would do better if Joe came off the bench, but he has been a godsend since the injury to Kadary. I love it, hardly any hero shots and hustling his butt off. Thanks for the chat.

no it was the stats that were posted on how much we were ahead or behind when K came in.

I took a look at this back in early February, and found that the narrative of "we have consistently gotten off to bad starts" was mostly inaccurate:

I'll try to update this with our more recent performances, but my prediction is that sometimes we get off to good starts, and sometimes we get off to bad starts. For most people, depending on which side of the argument you're on (Joe starting or Kadary starting), you can make the stats work to bolster your case either way.
Thanks , either way. Thats not the way Bees made it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom