In a new Conference, next could it be a new governing body? | Syracusefan.com

In a new Conference, next could it be a new governing body?

Don

2nd String
Its a great time to be Orange, we have a great new conference, the men and women team did great in the capital one standings, a new IPF on the horizon, a one million dollar donation to the athletic program, a hard look at the dome as the home its truly a great time to be Orange!!

I do see some very large shifts in the landscape of college sports coming in the next few years. I think the biggest one may be the attempted pull away from the NCAA by the big five conferences for a variety of reasons. There is info all over the net from huge profile voices such as Nick Sabin and John callipari and others about the ability of the big five to schedule only other big five conferences and also pay athletes. The reason is money and the I think the underlying biggie is the Ed Obannon lawsuit. I think one of the other reasons is the slow archaic NCAA regulation system and also the investigative body. The Miami investigation has really put a dent in the NCAA armor when it comes to enforcement and penalizing a school. Lets face it when bigtime teams are on probation and cant be shown on TV and appear in bigtime matchups that hurts the conferences.

I think its all but a forgone conclusion that the big five make some sort of agreement at least in football to schedule only among themselves as there TV partners have little interest in paying for Alabama vs Alcorn state or even Alabama vs Uconn. The money tree is dwindling and future revenues and streams are going to be more and more based on the ability to draw ratings and marque matchups. As more and more league go to revenue sources from there own networks the primetime players on network tv will be much less inclined to give big money for ACC rights or SEC rights unless those games are big matchups that can draw national interest. and networks that carry SEC network or ACC networks are not going to want to carry and pay for games that mostly include third rate no name matchups. hence the push the SEC and B10 to nine games conference schedules. Obviously the strength of schedule and its implications for future playoffs is also part of this whole equation

I don't know if this will eventually change basketball and the other sports, but I think since football drives the bus so to speak I would think that changes will be made there as well.

Does it mean that these leagues will pull away from the NCAA? well I don't know but if Ed Obannon prevails and athletes need to be paid for there likeness or a compromise is needed such as paying players for appearing in games and additional compensation, these big football schools and there money are going to be less inclined to share revenues and money with schools and conferences that are not carrying football or other money generating sports.

so that's my story and i'm sticking to it

I tend to think it will be evolution (rather than revolution) that will eventually rids us of the NCAA...as we know it today. With the birth of the superconference and governance by TV contract, it is clear the age of amateur college atheletics is coming to an end.

Whether the NCAA decides to adopt new regulations or if a new governing body is introduced, its clear the Power-5 will (by design) require a different set of rules from what is currently used by the NCAA.

Interesting stuff.

I think the post under estimates the need for sports TV content.

The demand u?ses inelastic.

So I'm not sure that the outlets will be as particular as the post suggests.

Streaming content would appear to be the lesser known factor.

How that will impact TV and revenue is what I find most interesting.

Have to believe that the schools want a governg body to keep the playing field balanced - at least in theory.

Don't you mean The Big Six conferences?
SEC
ACC
B1G
PAC
B12
And the MAC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150