In a way, it has always been smoke and mirrors | Syracusefan.com

In a way, it has always been smoke and mirrors

Dick_in_MI

Emeritus Legend
Dino was at Eastern Illinois only two years and won with his predecessor's players. He was not there long enough to build a program. He moved on to bowling Green. Exact same scenario. He didn't build a program. Then he moved to SU, was gifted with a once in a generation QB, and after the first three years he has shown that he can't build a program here either.

Sure, the "fastest thing on turf" talk, the post game speeches, all the rah rah stuff made us want to believe but he simply has not backed it up. He has been the modern verbal version of Coach Mac but without the accomplishment.

I think he gets until the end of the season but the writing is on the wall and in retrospect, was on the wall last year.

It is sad, but this isn't like we are throwing a homeless person onto the street. He has made $15M-$20M at SU. Very few gigs in life where you can make that kind of change and not produce results.

I have felt that he needed a bowl and a bowl win. For the life of me I can't see a path to a bowl. The team could surprise us but right now the offense seems worse than last year...you know, the year where we had injuries, no spring practice, yada yada yada. Those excuses are off the table and what is different?

I was hanging off the Dino Wagon by my fingernails but the punt in the 4th Quarter did it for me. Also, losing to Rutgers did it for me. In a way that I never admitted to myself until now, last year also did it for me. Maybe he will survive but I really can't see how nor can I see why it would even be a good thing at this point.

Dino was at Eastern Illinois only two years and won with his predecessor's players. He was not there long enough to build a program. He moved on to bowling Green. Exact same scenario. He didn't build a program. Then he moved to SU, was gifted with a once in a generation QB, and after the first three years he has shown that he can't build a program here either.

Sure, the "fastest thing on turf" talk, the post game speeches, all the rah rah stuff made us want to believe but he simply has not backed it up. He has been the modern verbal version of Coach Mac but without the accomplishment.

I think he gets until the end of the season but the writing is on the wall and in retrospect, was on the wall last year.

It is sad, but this isn't like we are throwing a homeless person onto the street. He has made $15M-$20M at SU. Very few gigs in life where you can make that kind of change and not produce results.

I have felt that he needed a bowl and a bowl win. For the life of me I can't see a path to a bowl. The team could surprise us but right now the offense seems worse than last year...you know, the year where we had injuries, no spring practice, yada yada yada. Those excuses are off the table and what is different?

I was hanging off the Dino Wagon by my fingernails but the punt in the 4th Quarter did it for me. Also, losing to Rutgers did it for me. In a way that I never admitted to myself until now, last year also did it for me. Maybe he will survive but I really can't see how nor can I see why it would even be a good thing at this point.
Only chance he has is if Shrader takes over starting next week

Dino has to go. I have no idea how anyone can say this offense has improved even a little over the course of the 5-6 years he's been here. Do i even dare to say that it's regressed over those years... I will give him credit though, he built a pretty decent defense over the past few years but it's not enough. How many years will the fans have to deal with horrible quarterback play, the endless passive play calling on offense, the inept game time management?? I had 0 expectations for this season but i've had enough, i can't deal with watching this team on a weekly basis. It's obvious this program doesn't care about its fans and just wants to stay mediocre. Rant over.

The unfortunate thing is that it shouldn't have taken 6 years to figure this out. I'd add that Sean Lewis was a big part of his success as well.

5 sacks...5 turnovers
8 penalties...8 punts

"you play like you practice"

Didn't see the game but I heard more drops and over thrown open WRs.

"You will see the most improvement between week 1 and week 2"
Except when we don't...

I'm not sure this team knows how to win.

5 sacks...5 turnovers
8 penalties...8 punts

"you play like you practice"

Didn't see the game but I heard more drops and over thrown open WRs.

"You will see the most improvement between week 1 and week 2"
Except when we don't...

I'm not sure this team knows how to win.
Let me give you some help there….

Good post Dick. At this point Dino is our own version of Ron Zook unfortunately. I was also still on the Dino bandwagon until the punter and punt decisions, decisions that I criticized Marrone and Shafer for back in the day.

This is a great post from a fair and level headed person. And it's telling.

I was trying to hold on for dear life myself, but something drastic has to happen from here on out. This wasn't as bad as the Maryland fiasco because at least one unit on the team performed very well. But for us to hire an offensive guy and in year 6 (year 5 of his chosen QB) to only have 1 TD against Rutgers at home. Even if we give him 2 TDs on the Taj fumble.

I'm starting to head down that smoke & mirrors snake oil path. I didn't listen to the postgame press conference, just read some of the transcript. Didn't listen today either. I find myself not wanting to hear these same old anecdotes over and over. Credit him for staying calm and not going crazy like Shafer, but still. Just no interest in hearing them anymore.

This is a great post from a fair and level headed person. And it's telling.

I was trying to hold on for dear life myself, but something drastic has to happen from here on out. This wasn't as bad as the Maryland fiasco because at least one unit on the team performed very well. But for us to hire an offensive guy and in year 6 (year 5 of his chosen QB) to only have 1 TD against Rutgers at home. Even if we give him 2 TDs on the Taj fumble.

I'm starting to head down that smoke & mirrors snake oil path. I didn't listen to the postgame press conference, just read some of the transcript. Didn't listen today either. I find myself not wanting to hear these same old anecdotes over and over. Credit him for staying calm and not going crazy like Shafer, but still. Just no interest in hearing them anymore.
I feel the same exact way about his press conferences at this point. The results are what they are on the field. That's all I care about. Not him pretending he's the smartest guy in the room in front of the media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom