In coming DBs | Syracusefan.com

In coming DBs

kcsu

Living Legend
Clark Pierre and Moore possess the size needed to play the Tampa 2. My guess is that all three see significant snaps as the season progresses.

You know, you very successfully pull off the Linda Richmond on this board.

"I'll give you a topic. The chick pea is neither a chick nor a pea. Discuss."

Just to discuss -- the new staff has a challenge to improve the DB unit.

Not a strong unit last season, but there are at least 8 returning DBs with experience, and not a senior in the bunch. Those 8 should be better, year over year, through S&C. Add the juco Michael Moore (one year of juco experience) , and RS-F Chris Fredrick who looked promising in the Spring game. DB was a strength in Babers' first recruiting class. Will there be major changes in the two-deep with new defensive schemes? Should be an interesting competition in August.

current DB's might be better playing in zones. I see Wayne Morgan excelling this year.

flast.0.gif

Just to discuss -- the new staff has a challenge to improve the DB unit.

Not a strong unit last season, but there are at least 8 returning DBs with experience, and not a senior in the bunch. Those 8 should be better, year over year, through S&C. Add the juco Michael Moore (one year of juco experience) , and RS-F Chris Fredrick who looked promising in the Spring game. DB was a strength in Babers' first recruiting class. Will there be major changes in the two-deep with new defensive schemes? Should be an interesting competition in August.

Winfield was a LOT better than most expected last year. Hopefully, that's a foundation that the others can build upon. Would be nice to have the secondary be a strength instead of a liability.

I have no idea who will play and who won't but I'd love to get this program back to the days of being able to redshirt or use frosh sparingly, at least. It's never a great sign that a bunch of frosh see the field early.

We will be better in the secondary. Cordy can tackle and cover despite his height. Whitner can tackle too. Scissum will play a lot and I expect Pierre to play. Not sure what role Rodney and Daivon will have. Rodney do have a lot of experience so I can see him possibly playing a little bit of nickel. Clarke and Foster can push the 2 deep but I think they will redshirt.

At corner, I expect Winfield and Hudson to be solid. Moore can push for the 2 deep. I think Wayne and Dowels can play nickel along with their corner duties. I saw good things from Fredricks. The 2 freshmans will redshirt (scoop and carl). Overall, we have a lot of guys back that have played a lot and learned the system in this spring. There will be a learning curve for the incoming freshmans.

I have no idea who will play and who won't but I'd love to get this program back to the days of being able to redshirt or use frosh sparingly, at least. It's never a great sign that a bunch of frosh see the field early.
Especially win a kid like Ellison played as a true freshman. That alone told us where we where in the secondary.

It is still a young group of DBs, but should be more ready this time around. In several cases, we had to put players out as frosh or RS-F who were just not ready physically for the task. I am thinking about Dowels & Hudson in particular (maybe 170 lbs when they arrived), but could say the same about Williams & Whitner.

And this is true throughout our defense. Too young last season at LB. Another year, more S&C, different outlook.

Tackling is essential or cover 2 doesn't work. I've posted before, the last few years we have not had good tacklers.

Tackling is essential or cover 2 doesn't work. I've posted before, the last few years we have not had good tacklers.

Yeah and that was strange to me b/c I felt one of the big improvements when Shafer/Marrone arrived was tackling. Much more physical and swarming than under GRob ... but the last two years, I would say, I didn't see as much of that (though incredibly young defenders last year certainly played a big part, I'd suppose).

Yeah and that was strange to me b/c I felt one of the big improvements when Shafer/Marrone arrived was tackling. Much more physical and swarming than under GRob ... but the last two years, I would say, I didn't see as much of that (though incredibly young defenders last year certainly played a big part, I'd suppose).
I've seen a lot of 'cross my arms and throw my body into him' rather than actual attempts at tackling the last couple of years. That led to all kinds of misses and moderate gains turned into big plays. I'm hoping for more wrapping up and less hitting.

I witnessed that live... I knew the season was over at that point.
I held on to hope until the D let UVa walk all over them to gift warp the game back to the Cavs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom