In put for golf trip | Syracusefan.com

In put for golf trip

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
My brother and I are taking the first of what we hope will be many annual golf trips.
While we want to get to Europe, we are going to start on the West coast , S.F to S.D, to work out the kinks.
I am a bogey golfer. He’s about 1/2 stroke better per hole.
We don’t care enough to get frustrated
Looking for iconic, “so glad I played there” courses
Gonna go for about 10 days. May have a couple of 27-36 hole days.
Gonna try some side trips Joshua Tree, Anza Berrago desert, etc.
So far, Presidio, Pebble,Riviera, and Coronado are on the list
Oh yeah we also want to be on Route 1 as much as we can.
Would love recommendations.

My brother and I are taking the first of what we hope will be many annual golf trips.
While we want to get to Europe, we are going to start on the West coast , S.F to S.D, to work out the kinks.
I am a bogey golfer. He’s about 1/2 stroke better per hole.
We don’t care enough to get frustrated
Looking for iconic, “so glad I played there” courses
Gonna go for about 10 days. May have a couple of 27-36 hole days.
Gonna try some side trips Joshua Tree, Anza Berrago desert, etc.
So far, Presidio, Pebble,Riviera, and Coronado are on the list
Oh yeah we also want to be on Route 1 as much as we can.
Would love recommendations.
I believe Torrey Pines near San Diego is open to the general public.

I believe Riviera is private.

Torrey Pines in San Diego is public, and easy to get to. Even if you can't get on, you can always just hang out and watch the hang gliders, or take a stroll ... on the nude beach. ;)

has Pebble changed the rules for getting on it? used to have to stay at the hotel and book it way out to get a tee time.

Just compiling our wish list right now. Going in mid-September, 2021.
We will look at restrictions, etc., as we pare our list down.

Bandon Dunes should be #1 on your list. Ive been twice and am going out there in October. Tough to plan if you are going in the fall but definitely put it on your list for any future golf trip. First week in October is the gem for weather. 36 a day. Each course is top 20 easily in the country. No golf carts but you can get caddies.

Bandon Dunes should be #1 on your list. Ive been twice and am going out there in October. Tough to plan if you are going in the fall but definitely put it on your list for any future golf trip. First week in October is the gem for weather. 36 a day. Each course is top 20 easily in the country. No golf carts but you can get caddies.
would love to see a caddie try to follow me around the course.. not that golf carts can get their either.

would love to see a caddie try to follow me around the course.. not that golf carts can get their either.
We had a caddy in Jamaica. He offered us ganja which based on how we played should have taken him up on his offer. He was great. I never putted better based on his knowledge of the greens.

How many different courses out there have you played? Amazing what they have built.

How many different courses out there have you played? Amazing what they have built.
There are 6

Pacific Dunes
Bandon Dunes
Old Macdonald
Bandon Trails
Sheep Ranch
Bandon Preserve (13 hole par 3)

First time playing Sheep Ranch will be in October as it is brand new. Pacific Dunes is as good as I have ever played and I have been lucky to play a lot

I believe Torrey Pines near San Diego is open to the general public.
Yeah, Torrey Pines is a good call, if you can get on. I used to live in San Diego and I believe we had to call in advance and be put in sort of a lottery of some kind. I don't remember exactly, as it was 20 years ago, but it wasn't as easy as just booking a tee time (and we were residents). Here is what they say on their site...

Exclusive Wait List System​

1. Torrey Pines only releases a limited amount of tee times for non-residents.
  2. If Torrey Pines is full, we can put you on our waitlist.
  3. Our team will continually check for cancellations and openings.
  4. If a time opens up, we will book it for you.
  5. Typically reservations are made within 48 hours of your requested tee time and we are successful about 2/3 of the time.
  6. It does not cost you anything for us trying. You only pay if we are successful in getting you the exact tee time you want. ($40/player reservation fee)

Yeah, Torrey Pines is a good call, if you can get on. I used to live in San Diego and I believe we had to call in advance and be put in sort of a lottery of some kind. I don't remember exactly, as it was 20 years ago, but it wasn't as easy as just booking a tee time (and we were residents). Here is what they say on their site...

Exclusive Wait List System​

1. Torrey Pines only releases a limited amount of tee times for non-residents.
  2. If Torrey Pines is full, we can put you on our waitlist.
  3. Our team will continually check for cancellations and openings.
  4. If a time opens up, we will book it for you.
  5. Typically reservations are made within 48 hours of your requested tee time and we are successful about 2/3 of the time.
  6. It does not cost you anything for us trying. You only pay if we are successful in getting you the exact tee time you want. ($40/player reservation fee)
its $45 now I believe. You can make times 90 days in advance. Ive played both North and South multiple times and its pretty easy to get tee times in advance

So... this is off topic from this thread. But it has to do with golf, so I’m going to give it a shot.

A friend of mine and I want to set up a mini Ryder Cup type event and we have had an impossible time getting guys to commit to playing, so I’d like to open it up here to some of you. This is Syracuse area folks.

Here’s what we have in mind:

Two days - Friday, June 25 and Saturday, June 26

Ryder Cup format (modified)
Two teams of four (8 players total) I have my team of four. Looking for four more -individuals or as a team.

Friday - 36 Holes (2-man best ball followed by Alternate Shot)
Saturday - 18 Holes of Match Play
Saturday evening barbeque/beer at my house for awards presentation.

We haven't picked the courses yet, but they would be local (Syracuse)and probably middle of the road type. (Possibly Rogues Roost and/or Northern Pines or Links at Erie Village.)

We don't know the cost yet. We're working on that. But safe to say it will not be expensive. Greens fees and skins to create and modest prize monies.

The guys playing range from a low handicapper (8?) to hackers like me. So there will be a mix of players. Handicaps will be used for all matches.
This is about a fun competition, not about win at all costs. We just want fun matches.

Best case scenario is you have your team and I have mine and we play. But if I can’t get a team of four, I will entertain four individuals, and we will divide up to balance the squads.

If interested, PM me ASAP. Deadline is June 1. Thanks.

ALL4SU

So... this is off topic from this thread. But it has to do with golf, so I’m going to give it a shot.

A friend of mine and I want to set up a mini Ryder Cup type event and we have had an impossible time getting guys to commit to playing, so I’d like to open it up here to some of you. This is Syracuse area folks.

Here’s what we have in mind:

Two days - Friday, June 25 and Saturday, June 26

Ryder Cup format (modified)
Two teams of four (8 players total) I have my team of four. Looking for four more -individuals or as a team.

Friday - 36 Holes (2-man best ball followed by Alternate Shot)
Saturday - 18 Holes of Match Play
Saturday evening barbeque/beer at my house for awards presentation.

We haven't picked the courses yet, but they would be local (Syracuse)and probably middle of the road type. (Possibly Rogues Roost and/or Northern Pines or Links at Erie Village.)

We don't know the cost yet. We're working on that. But safe to say it will not be expensive. Greens fees and skins to create and modest prize monies.

The guys playing range from a low handicapper (8?) to hackers like me. So there will be a mix of players. Handicaps will be used for all matches.
This is about a fun competition, not about win at all costs. We just want fun matches.

Best case scenario is you have your team and I have mine and we play. But if I can’t get a team of four, I will entertain four individuals, and we will divide up to balance the squads.

If interested, PM me ASAP. Deadline is June 1. Thanks.

ALL4SU
Damn, that sounds like fun. I live in Tampa, but haven't been to Syracuse in probably 20 years since graduating so this could be a great way to get back to the area and play some golf (two of my favorite things to do).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom