In reality, seeding and location do not matter with this team | Syracusefan.com

In reality, seeding and location do not matter with this team

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
There's been a lot of talk lately about our seed and to a lesser extent about Buffalo and MSG. The reality of this team is that it doesn't really matter what our seed is and/or where we get sent. We could beat any team in the field or lose to any team in the field on any given night. Playing in Buffalo really won't offset that. We've proven that we can lose to a team with a 6-19 record on our home court. How would playing in a city two hours away prevent that?

I think there are many fans here that want our "resume" to bail us out from the way we've been playing lately and hope we get a 3 seed in Buffalo. I don't see how that really matters. We are playing very poorly right now. It doesn't matter if we play a 14 seed in Buffalo or a 13 seed in Spokane if we do not play well.

I'll stand by my point that seeding and location absolutely do not matter with this Syracuse team. We've shown we can beat decent teams as far away as Hawaii. We've shown we can lose to bad teams on our own court. What really matters is playing well. If we do not start playing better than it doesn't matter who we play or where we play them.

On the bright side, I think we can beat any team in the tourney if we play our best game. Let's hope we start playing up to our full potential as a team and knocking off some teams to make a deep run. We're in the tourney and our record is 0-0. Every team is even from this point forward.

I think we'd stand a better chance of winning a game with a sizable portion of the crowd being SU fans, than not

Agreed. It's also about matchups. Some teams struggle with our zone and others can figure it out. As much as the offense has been the main culprit the defense has been pretty shoddy lately. Given our penchant for struggling on offense we need to be airtight on defense and that has not been the case.

I think we'd stand a better chance of winning a game with a sizable portion of the crowd being SU fans, than not
We have fans all over the country. If 25,000 fans can't pick us up to beat BC, I don't see how 4,000 fans in Buffalo will prevent an upset from happening.

We have fans all over the country. If 25,000 fans can't pick us up to beat BC, I don't see how 4,000 fans in Buffalo will prevent an upset from happening.

all things equal, I'd rather that we have the largest possible fan contingent in the Rounds of 64 and (fingers crossed) 32.

do you think that they'd be more SU fans in attendance in Buffalo, or Spokane?

Last edited:
all things equal, I'd rather that we have the largest possible fan contingent in the Rounds of 64 and (fingers crossed) 32.

do you think that they'd be more SU fans in attendance in Buffalo, or Spokane?
I just don't think it really matters with this team. They don't really seem to play up or down based upon the fans in attendance wearing Orange. We've lost 2 games in the Dome, 2 on the road (in hostile environments) and 1 neutral. It's a wash, imo.

I just don't think it really matters with this team. They don't really seem to play up or down based upon the fans in attendance wearing Orange. We've lost 2 games in the Dome, 2 on the road (in hostile environments) and 1 neutral. It's a wash, imo.

Our winning % at home is better than in road/neutral games.

Having attended the Pitt, Nova, UNC and Duke games, I'm of the opinion that the team did feed off of the crowd. I'm inclined to believe that in a one-and-done situation like the NCAAs, the SU fans in attendance would make their presence felt.

Our winning % at home is better than in road/neutral games.

Having attended the Pitt, Nova, UNC and Duke games, I'm of the opinion that the team did feed off of the crowd. I'm inclined to believe that in a one-and-done situation like the NCAAs, the SU fans in attendance would make their presence felt.

That's true, but we also played a ton of home games against cupcakes, we didn't get many on the road like that. We've played 6 home games against KP teams above 200, throw those out, and we're 10-2 at home and 11-3 road/neutral.

That's true, but we also played a ton of home games against cupcakes, we didn't get many on the road like that. We've played 6 home games against KP teams above 200, throw those out, and we're 10-2 at home and 11-3 road/neutral.

that's fine. Using your criterion, our home winning % is still better than our road/neutral winning %.

I think there are many fans here that want our "resume" to bail us out from the way we've been playing lately and hope we get a 3 seed in Buffalo. I don't see how that really matters. We are playing very poorly right now. It doesn't matter if we play a 14 seed in Buffalo or a 13 seed in Spokane if we do not play well.

Some of us want common sense discussion.

If you want to say we are playing like crap - yes we are playing like crap.

If you want to discuss seeds, discuss the entire resume. If anything you are the one that is using "the playing like crap" card as a crutch to avoid any resume discussion.

Last edited:
Some of us want common sense discussion.

If you want to say we are playing like crap - yes we are playing like crap.

If you want to discuss seeds, don't bring up that we are playing like crap. Bring up the Fn resume.
You want a biased resume. You are ignoring all of our bad points while highlighting all of the good points. "How" we are currently playing is part of our resume and part of the perception of the committee. I think you are desperately hoping they just ignore that we've tanked the last month of the season and focus on the first 3 month of the season. It's the same argument that puts UVa and Lville as 4 seeds. The perception of how a team is playing really does come into play in the selection room. It's one of those intangibles that is difficult to predict because it largely has to do with the opinion and discussions of those on the Selection Committee. Many of the guys on the committee really start focusing on games in the last month of the year. Unfortunately for us, that will be a big negative because we haven't impressed over that span.

I agree completely with the thread title with this team its going to come down to matchups and our ability to make some shots

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom