In the last 4 years...Only 3 ACC teams have not won 20 games in at least 1 year | Syracusefan.com

In the last 4 years...Only 3 ACC teams have not won 20 games in at least 1 year

djcon57

Living Legend
BC
Georgia Tech
Syracuse (assuming we dont win 4 more games this year)

every single other team has had at least one year of 20 wins.
...and yes, I know we played less games in 2020, but so did everyone else

Despite what some like to sell...that seems real bad.

BC
Georgia Tech

That's our cohort these days. I ran through a similar exercise to see what ACC teams haven't been ranked in the past several years. It's a larger list, but it's not good company,

And here's the thing for anyone still defending JB, just show me what he's doing to make things better.

We've seen him turn over assistant coaches. We've seen him re-commit to recruiting. We've seen him even be inventive when he didn't have the roster he wanted (Silent G at PG anyone?).

It's all gone. All of it.

People said we end up like BC if we force Jim out, well we are already trending in their direction by being lumped in like this.

We do have a shot at 20 wins this year, though I do not think we reach it. Realistic shot at 19. Sad part is 20 wins today doesn't guarantee an NCAA birth due to the ACC being lousy and more games played now.

Here's our win percentage the last 8 years starting with this season. To JBs credit, he does great as a double digit seed, however living on the bubble will see you miss the tournament too frequently. Hasn't had a season above .666 since 13-14. Sample size is plenty large enough now.

That's our cohort these days. I ran through a similar exercise to see what ACC teams haven't been ranked in the past several years. It's a larger list, but it's not good company,

At least we snuck in the post tournament poll in 2021.

BC
Georgia Tech

And with the soft OOC schedule this year and the ACC being down, this is bad. REAL bad. There is nothing you can point to with this program that is trending in a positive direction. How anyone can use the "it can get worse without Boeheim" crap is beyond me. This is rock bottom. This is a bottom 4 program in the ACC.

That’s not even the real problem. The issue lies with JB’s ego. He refuses to see this. Flat out refuses the notion. Just listen to his delusion.

“We knew this team would struggle coming into this year. 16 wins is pretty close to what people projected. People complained we haven’t been ranked in the last 10 years. We went to sweet 16s and a Final Four and wound up ranked.”

“People are not happy with 16-12 We’ve had a couple of bad years in a row. That’s unusual. A lot of schools would take that, and be happy with it.”

That’s not even the real problem. The issue lies with JB’s ego. He refuses to see this. Flat out refuses the notion. Just listen to his delusion.

“We knew this team would struggle coming into this year. 16 wins is pretty close to what people projected. People complained we haven’t been ranked in the last 10 years. We went to sweet 16s and a Final Four and wound up ranked.”

“People are not happy with 16-12 We’ve had a couple of bad years in a row. That’s unusual. A lot of schools would take that, and be happy with it.”

Also JAB:

* This is our best recruiting class ever.

* This is absolutely an NCAA team.

J-Bone, we've got the receipts.

JAB says things.
Those things are becoming more detached from reality and meaningless as the years wear on.

I can't believe those are real, and yet...

Just so sad that this is now the person in charge of our once storied program.

Here is a fun one...

If we do not win our last 2 games we will fail to reach 11 conference Ws for the 9th straight year (3 of which were 20 game conference seasons, and one was only 16 games). Our last 11 years in the Big East only thrice did we fail to get to 11 Ws (5 of those seasons we only played 16 games, one of which we went 10-6).

Also in the last 9 years we haven't gotten to 20 Ws before the conference tournament. The 15 years prior we failed to get to 20 Ws only twice (both times we were at 19 Ws).

What we used to consider a bad pre NCAAT season would have been a good season compared to the last 9 years.

BC
Georgia Tech

yes but

Here is a fun one...

If we do not win our last 2 games we will fail to reach 11 conference Ws for the 9th straight year (3 of which were 20 game conference seasons, and one was only 16 games). Our last 11 years in the Big East only thrice did we fail to get to 11 Ws (5 of those seasons we only played 16 games, one of which we went 10-6).

Also in the last 9 years we haven't gotten to 20 Ws before the conference tournament. The 15 years prior we failed to get to 20 Ws only twice (both times we were at 19 Ws).

What we used to consider a bad pre NCAAT season would have been a good season compared to the last 9 years.

Before this long sad run, our "bad" teams this century were 02, 07 and 08. All those teams were ranked, the 02 team getting to #7. They all had really exciting wins. And even post Deshaun meltdown, all three of those teams would beat these last two teams by 20+.

Before this long sad run, our "bad" teams this century were 02, 07 and 08. All those teams were ranked, the 02 team getting to #7. They all had really exciting wins. And even post Deshaun meltdown, all three of those teams would beat these last two teams by 20+.

Anyone who suggests this team could make a run to the NIT final four I swear on my autographed picture of Billy Celuck in mismatched shorts* I’ll come for you.

*I don’t actually own this but I’d pay a pretty penny for it

People said we end up like BC if we force Jim out, well we are already trending in their direction by being lumped in like this.

We do have a shot at 20 wins this year, though I do not think we reach it. Realistic shot at 19. Sad part is 20 wins today doesn't guarantee an NCAA birth due to the ACC being lousy and more games played now.

Here's our win percentage the last 8 years starting with this season. To JBs credit, he does great as a double digit seed, however living on the bubble will see you miss the tournament too frequently. Hasn't had a season above .666 since 13-14. Sample size is plenty large enough now.

Ugh. And this from a coach who won >76% of his games the first 37 years of his career, prior to this near decade of decline.

The statistic that I continue to have difficulty wrapping my head around -- despite this being a 9 year trend -- is that we haven't lost less than 13 games over this nadir in program performance under JB.

Yikes.

I used to feel bad for fans of programs whose seasons just ended with their conference tournament loss. How the turn tables.

I love it
Animated GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom