In the Run Up to Early-Signing Day... | Syracusefan.com

In the Run Up to Early-Signing Day...

Faegan

All Conference
...who can provide a quick rundown on the big fish we're hoping to land. Don't have the time to keep up with it the way I used to! TIA!

...who can provide a quick rundown on the big fish we're hoping to land. Don't have the time to keep up with it the way I used to! TIA!

Here you go.

Isnt that the commit list? Faegan wants a list of hot/top SU prospects. I always thought something like that would be a good thing to have pinned at the top so that there could be a ongoing discussion of the current recruiting Status.

Isnt that the commit list? Faegan wants a list of hot/top SU prospects. I always thought something like that would be a good thing to have pinned at the top so that there could be a ongoing discussion of the current recruiting Status.
Sorry we are limited to 3-4 pinned threads but you can always have a discussion thread.

We offer like 400 kids each cycle now.

You really want to follow all of that, just to whittle it down to the 20-25 guys we eventually take?

Have fun with that.

Kentron Poiter
Akheem Mesidor
David Ndukwe
Owen Snively
Durante Jordan
Ja'Vontae Williams

Transfers
Cade Fortin
Chris Bleich
Mychale Salahuddin

There are others

Just off top of head

We have 9 spots left

I'd imagine 3-4 commit before 12/18

Save another 2 spots for transfer

Add another 1-2 in February and save last schollie for late bloomer in spring?

Here's my hot take on the run-up:

We have a lot of openings and a lot of options. Almost 30% of our class unfilled.

There have been a lot of decommittments and even more kids hitting the portal. I think things are very fluid as we may be re-adjusting our needs, and different kids are becoming available.

We have a high chance of getting 3 more kids on board by signing day. (Williams, Reed, Ndukwe) I don't think the JUCO WR is a take at this point but I'm just speculating and could be very wrong.

If we get the 3 above we still have 6 firm openings which we're hoping to fill with Mesidor (HS), Fortin (JUCO) and Bleich (traditional transfer). Bleich would not count against the 25 rule only the 85. The Eastern Michigan OT commit is another possibility though he hasn't popped up on the visit list yet. If we get Reed, the EMU kid might be out.

Our staff has proven to be sneaky good at keeping things on the down low but I haven't seen a sniff of a 'big' surprise. If there are any "big" HS surprises the only one I can see is Poitier. My hunch though from the tea leaves is that he's waiting for Florida or FSU to give him a commitable offer and I think we've moved on.

So far we haven't had any current Syracuse kids hit the portal yet. I have to imagine we'll see some attrition and we'll fill these holes with traditional transfers. There's so many P5 kids in the portal it's hard to make sense of it but there has to be some really good players available.

Unlike last year, we seem to be shaping up to have a lot of HS action in January to fill out our class.

I’d imagine the most sought after portal players will show up after bowl season when their teams are done. That’s where we can find value and also be at a competitive advantage on offers because of the scholly flexibility we’ve got.

We have a lot of openings and a lot of options. Almost 30% of our class unfilled.

There have been a lot of decommittments and even more kids hitting the portal. I think things are very fluid as we may be re-adjusting our needs, and different kids are becoming available.

We have a high chance of getting 3 more kids on board by signing day. (Williams, Reed, Ndukwe) I don't think the JUCO WR is a take at this point but I'm just speculating and could be very wrong.

If we get the 3 above we still have 6 firm openings which we're hoping to fill with Mesidor (HS), Fortin (JUCO) and Bleich (traditional transfer). Bleich would not count against the 25 rule only the 85. The Eastern Michigan OT commit is another possibility though he hasn't popped up on the visit list yet. If we get Reed, the EMU kid might be out.

Our staff has proven to be sneaky good at keeping things on the down low but I haven't seen a sniff of a 'big' surprise. If there are any "big" HS surprises the only one I can see is Poitier. My hunch though from the tea leaves is that he's waiting for Florida or FSU to give him a commitable offer and I think we've moved on.

So far we haven't had any current Syracuse kids hit the portal yet. I have to imagine we'll see some attrition and we'll fill these holes with traditional transfers. There's so many P5 kids in the portal it's hard to make sense of it but there has to be some really good players available.

Unlike last year, we seem to be shaping up to have a lot of HS action in January to fill out our class.
Bleich would count, He isn't a grad transfer. Only grad transfers don't count towards the 25.

Thanks - this is exactly what I was asking for!

Bleich would count, He isn't a grad transfer. Only grad transfers don't count towards the 25.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't think traditional transfers (like Trishton and Adams) counted against the 25 but maybe it was just a way they tweaked the numbers in the past.

That puts us in a bind if we have much attrition since we have 24 spots open as is. We'd be looking at operating under 85 next season.

Last edited:

Right now OX has 61 potential returnees. I have only heard of one possible transfer. With 16 commits we can only take 9 scholarships in this class. 25 limit.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't think traditional transfers (like Trishton and Adams) counted against the 25 but maybe it was just a way they tweaked the numbers in the past.

That puts us in a bind if we have much attrition since we have 24 spots open as is. We'd be looking at operating under 85 next season.
LOL...now you are making me wonder. I'll double check to make sure who is correct. For some reason I thought it was just grad transfers.

And thinking about it Fortin may not count towards an initial counter either as he was signed to UNC.

And thinking about it Fortin may not count towards an initial counter either as he was signed to UNC.
I thought "initial counter" was defined as a player at the moment he receives his first financial aid from your school.

PhatOrange You are right and I'm wrong. It's all transfers so Bleich counts toward the 85 but not the 25. But that still won't make much of a difference as things stand.

The more I read about the rules the more I think you might be right. Seems only Grad Transfers don't count against the 25 rule but I can't find clear cut confirmation. Bottom line is if Tristin and Abdul would've counted against the 25/per year. I'm now leaning towards yes they did.

My worry is if we sign 24 then we can only bring in 1 more kid. If 3 kids hit the portal, one flunks out and 1 is medically DQ/d, then we now have 5 kids out of the program and could only fill it with 1 kid (=25).

The best way to fill those spots (and get over the 'cap) would be to bring in traditional transfers. But something tells me this loop hole doesn't exist or else the SEC would be bringing in 35 kids every year.

He''s a JUCO though. They've always counted the same as a high school kid.

He''s a JUCO though. They've always counted the same as a high school kid.
I wonder because he isn't a traditional JUCO. He used that loophole of transferring to a JUCO so he wouldn't have to sit a year as he would have if he had transferred directly to another FBS. He wasn't at that JUCO for two years or for grades.

I thought "initial counter" was defined as a player at the moment he receives his first financial aid from your school.

I'm not that well versed but it has to do with transfers having already signed an LOI and receiving a scholarship from a prior school. So a transfer doesn't count as an initial counter at the next school providing them a scholarship.

I'm not that well versed but it has to do with transfers having already signed an LOI and receiving a scholarship from a prior school. So a transfer doesn't count as an initial counter at the next school providing them a scholarship.
"A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students. The Group of Five school our Power 5 staffer contacted had bad news: We’re full up."

From this article: SI.com

"A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students. The Group of Five school our Power 5 staffer contacted had bad news: We’re full up."

From this article: SI.com
I saw that also. But I have seen other things that say not ture. I just remember discussions on here before about some kids not counting towards the initial 25. And this isn't the first time this discussion has happened on here. I'm confused. :rolleyes:

I saw that also. But I have seen other things that say not ture. I just remember discussions on here before about some kids not counting towards the initial 25. And this isn't the first time this discussion has happened on here. I'm confused. :rolleyes:

(Second-hand, again, although it does link to the NCAA manual)

Edit: the link there is for an old version of the manual. From the 2019-2020 version:

15.02.3.1 Initial Counter. [FBS/FCS] An “initial counter” is a counter who is receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. (See Bylaw 15.5.6.3 in football for instances in which the institution is permitted to defer the counting of such financial aid until the following academic year.)

It seems like this means "for the first time from the institution in question" but it is not clear. The rules are stated in terms that don't mention "transfer" so presumably there is another section that defines what "transfer" maps to in their lingo. But I'm not going to sift for it right now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom