Incremental Improvement Year to Year | Syracusefan.com

Incremental Improvement Year to Year

Dodger44

Walk On
Baber's 24-34 through last weeks game. If you disregard the 10-2 season, his record is 14-31 (after the L'ville game). His 10-2 season had a bunch of HCSS players as seniors on both sides of the ball. At Eastern Illinois, Babers inherited Sophs, Jrs, Seniors with experience. Two years later he goes to Bowling Green in has the same situation inheriting Sophs, Jrs, Seniors.

Every years we seem to have stupid penalties, injury issues, depth problems, questionable coaching calls. Babers seems to have deemed Devito the savior. I bet opposing coaches told QB recruits that if they went to Syracuse they would sit behind Devito as he was the chosen one at QB. Babers showed too much loyalty to his BG coaches he brought with them when they where not getting the job done. Where's the emotion of Babers on the sidelines ? Rah Rah speeches in the locker room don't always translate onto the field. Sure he's had a couple of upset wins. But Greg Robinson beat Notre Dame.

Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year that you can measure progress and success ?

If Babers has a 8-4, 7-5, 6-6 season next year (2021), has SU turned the corner ? Should SU extend Babers. The downside is if we have the above scenario, extend Babers, and the the following season (2022) SU has a losing season, SU is in a bind.

We are playing a lot of Freshman, but so are other programs. And while we'll have Seniors that can come back next year, so will other programs. All teams are dealing with Covid. Improvement can only come thru recruiting and we lag behind in that area. Lots of excuses, but location is not one of them. Explains Boise State. For that matter North Dakota State in a level below us and has recruited two great QBs. Caron Wentz was a first round pick, and Mel Kiper is projecting the same for the current QB at NDS: Trey Lance. Recruiting can be done with the right coaches, the right approach, and with alumni assistance.

But Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year. So far the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming freight train and that freight train doesn't have a SU logo on it.

False premise is false.

There's no such thing.

EVERYTHING in the universe is a cycle; peaks and valleys, ebbs and flows.
Expecting straight-line results = get used to disappointment.

Check out this highly regarded coach's resume, especially in his current tenure (at one of our ACC colleagues)

Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year?

Would you want this guy's record?
Would you hire him?
Would you have fired him? Several times by now?? :rolleyes:

I hate penalties. But teams loaded with first year players typically experience that.

I hate the whole TD was the heir apparent criticism. Coaches play their best guy. Was Dungey the heir apparent went he finished his freshman year? Opposing coaches use everything they can to recruit against teams. SU did not recruit well at QB, except for Aimee, and we know how that turned out. But it wasn’t because they were playing TD.

How do you feel about next years recruits? I feel pretty good about them if we can lock them all up. Regardless of rating, I think this is our best overall class in 20 years. With a few more spots to fill. I’m guessing HCDB will be looking to the portal, and that would probably help.

I remain optimistic that the current issues are addressable.

Last edited:
I hate penalties. But teams loaded with first year players typically experience that.

I hate the whole TD was the heir apparent criticism. Coaches play their best guy. Was Dungey the heir apparent went he finished his freshman year? Opposing coaches use everything they can to recruit against teams. SU did not recruit well at QB, except for Aimee, and we know how that turned out. But it was t because they were playing TD.

How do you feel about next years recruits? I feel pretty good about them if we can lick them all up. Regardless of rating, I think this is our best overall class in 20 years. With a few more spots to fill. I’m guessing HCDB will be looking to the portal, and that would probably help.

I remain optimistic that the current issues are addressable.
If Dino keeps the same scheme then he needs a running QB. His system was only viable when Sean Lewis & Dungey were at SU. Gilbert is an awful play caller! He was only hired because he knows Dino's system. You would think that without the spring practice that the offense would be out performing the defense since everything is exactly the same on offense. The defense was a total overhaul and without question are much better then the offense. That right there tells you that is all about Dino's scheme.

If Dino keeps the same scheme then he needs a running QB. His system was only viable when Sean Lewis & Dungey were at SU. Gilbert is an awful play caller! He was only hired because he knows Dino's system. You would think that without the spring practice that the offense would be out performing the defense since everything is exactly the same on offense. The defense was a total overhaul and without question are much better then the offense. That right there tells you that is all about Dino's scheme.

You clearly don’t understand DB’s offensive philosophy. It’s okay to complain about his scheme, playcalling, etc but at this point in time you have to at least understand his offensive philosophy and how he wants to control games. Bringing up a running QB or a dual threat QB just shows you don’t know what the scheme even is

False premise is false.

There's no such thing.

EVERYTHING in the universe is a cycle; peaks and valleys, ebbs and flows.
Expecting straight-line results = get used to disappointment.

Check out this highly regarded coach's resume, especially in his current tenure (at one of our ACC colleagues)

Where is the Incremental Improvement Year to Year?

Would you want this guy's record?
Would you hire him?
Would you have fired him? Several times by now?? :rolleyes:
When Dino follows up his 10 win season with a 9 win season then an 8 win season you can compare him to HCDC, until then I don't think so. Yeah HCDC had 4 losing seasons to start but he was taking over one of the worst FBS teams in recent history. Duke football was horrible. SU has been a mess but nowhere near Duke. As a matter of fact. DB took over a team that had won 2 bowl games in the past 4 years prior to his arrival and 3 in the past 6. He's been to 1 in the 5 years since. HCDB needs to WIN two bowl games in the next two years just to equal the performance of his predecessors.

You clearly don’t understand DB’s offensive philosophy. It’s okay to complain about his scheme, playcalling, etc but at this point in time you have to at least understand his offensive philosophy and how he wants to control games. Bringing up a running QB or a dual threat QB just shows you don’t know what the scheme even is
I know exactly what the scheme is.
To funny, you are like other posters here that criticize an opinion without giving any feedback on your point. I know what Dino is trying to do just don't think it can be done by him without Sean Lewis. His offensive philosophy is go fast score points neither of what he is doing. His best season is when Dungey broke out of his play call and made things happen.
I want Dino to be successful because I love SU football. However, it doesn't matter to me who the head coach is as long as they win. Dino doesn't win. He has great charisma and that has helped him keep this job.

To funny, you are like other posters here that criticize an opinion without giving any feedback on your point. I know what Dino is trying to do just don't think it can be done by him without Sean Lewis. His offensive philosophy is go fast score points neither of what he is doing. His best season is when Dungey broke out of his play call and made things happen.
I want Dino to be successful because I love SU football. However, it doesn't matter to me who the head coach is as long as they win. Dino doesn't win. He has great charisma and that has helped him keep this job.

Again, Lewis was already gone in 2018 which was our best year on offense and wins and losses obviously.

Not saying Sean Lewis isn't a good coach because he has done a nice job in the MAC as did Dino running this scheme

Visualize this," Babers said. "You're in the Carrier Dome. Your house is filled. The feeling is electric. The noise is deafening. You have a defense that's relentless. You have a special teams that has been well-coached. You have an offense that will not huddle. And you have a game that's faster than you've ever seen on turf."

OR Visualize this, " Your're in the renovated Carrier Dome. Your house is 1/3 filled. The feeling is stagnant. The silence is deafening. You have a defense that misses assignments and tackles. You have a special teams that tries hard. You have an offense that stumbles even when it huddles. And you have a game that slower than you've seen on turf.

The positive this year is NO FANS IN THE DOME. Otherwise the booing would be deafening. Fans might even leave before half time.

Is this ROCK BOTTOM ? How do you measure progress/success ? Hope and dreams are just that. Perception is reality.

Last edited:
It is amazing to me that Coach Baber's gets defended at all. I hope as I am sure all of us do that next year he has a great turn around and all this complaining is a waste of breath and he wins 8 games and its sunshine and roses. What I believe is going to happen is we win 4 games max. We will beat Albany, we should beat Ohio but then who?? Rutgers, Liberty who? That's if Dino is given the life line that he plays that schedule. He may play another all ACC schedule with a chance of having to play Notre Dame again. Dino has had 5 years folks. We have the worst offense in the league and he was hired to bring in an electric offense!! We have so many ridiculous penalties, we are a joke of a team right now. I will always support the program, I will always hope for the best, but I also see the writing on the wall. Dino Babers is a great guy, but he is much closer to an overpriced Greg Robinson then he is a savior for this program from what I have seen so far.

I’m just pointing out that clamoring for a dual threat or a running QB isn’t going to happen most likely. I think that’s what we should be looking for but that’s not the type of QB Babers wants running his offense.

I’m just pointing out that clamoring for a dual threat or a running QB isn’t going to happen most likely. I think that’s what we should be looking for but that’s not the type of QB Babers wants running his offense.
Somebody better tell Baber this because Lamson is a dual threat QB and so is Shrader

I really don’t think Gilbert is the root cause of issues on offense this year. I mean he comes into this year minus top two RBs
from the get-go, starting QB goes down 4th game of year and is backed up by a kid who was playing TE last year and a true freshman QB, not to mention the abbreviated offseason; and I know his offense philosophy is same as Dino’s but it takes time to build rapport with QB and offense so not having much of offseason probably messed that up.

I really don’t think Gilbert is the root cause of issues on offense this year. I mean he comes into this year minus top two RBs
from the get-go, starting QB goes down 4th game of year and is backed up by a kid who was playing TE last year and a true freshman QB, not to mention the abbreviated offseason; and I know his offense philosophy is same as Dino’s but it takes time to build rapport with QB and offense so not having much of offseason probably messed that up.

I thought he did a poor job the first two games. Then GA Tech was good. I don't want to remember what happened vs Duke or Liberty so I don't recall. He did a good job vs Clemson, Wake, and BC. But Louisville there was no rhyme or reason to his game plan. We will see how he finishes the season.

So far the two best senior classes have been Shafer's and GRobb/Marrone. Go figure.

We have been dreadful every year of Dino’s tenure. You can’t blame it on first year players when it happens every year.

We have been dreadful every year of Dino’s tenure. You can’t blame it on first year players when it happens every year.
In 2016 SU was 32 in the country in penalties per game. It’s been worse since then. I’m not disputing that there have been a lot of penalties. But first year starters to contribute to that standard. Maybe trying to play fast has been more of the reason in other years.

In 2016 SU was 32 in the country in penalties per game. It’s been worse since then. I’m not disputing that there have been a lot of penalties. But first year starters to contribute to that standard. Maybe trying to play fast has been more of the reason in other years.

Not sure where you found that stat. Did you mean 2015 when we were 31st?

2020 91st
2019 128th
2018 102nd
2017 72nd
2016 123rd

Number of plays is a poor excuse. Wake last year was 8th in penalties per game yet were 5th in total O plays nationally. The year before they were 6th in penalties and 3rd in plays (plays per game I believe they were #1).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom