Indiana Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Indiana Thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
I'm going by memory so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Syracuse is undefeated in the Big East/ACC challenge, the Big East/SEC challenge, and now the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Apparently you don't want to challenge Syracuse.

You are going to hear the same story from everyone after this game – Crean still can't figure out Boeheim's zone – don't believe it. As Syracuse fans we know that up to this point in the season Syracuse's defense hasn't been very difficult for anybody to figure out. If Cornell scored against Syracuse with relative ease, surely Indiana is capable of doing the same. The difference is, this was not the same defense that Cornell faced, and the thing everyone should (but probably wont) be talking about is Syracuse's continued improvement overall, especially on defense.

When you look at Syracuse's season thus far the improvement is exponential. The season opener was the low point (with Syracuse falling 14 points behind Cornell who is now 0-9). The next two against Fordham and Colgate weren't much better. After that, Syracuse found itself trailing late to St. Francis, but considering St. Francis represented a big step up in competition, I'd say the game represented a small improvement in Syracuse's play. In Maui, Syracuse played three games against three major conference opponents and stepped their game up big, looking fantastic on offense and poor on defense.

If you go back and look at my Baylor Thoughts you will see that I predicted the upcoming practice time would lead to improvements on defense. I also predicted that defensive improvements would lead to blow-out wins. I love when Syracuse makes me look smart. This game represented another step in Syracuse's evolution - probably the biggest yet because it was the one where they put everything together.

Indiana came out trying to run an actual offense, but looked so slow and clumsy doing it that they quickly regressed into throwing up bad shots and sending everybody to the offensive glass. Indiana is not very skilled offensively and it seemed to me that Crean came in knowing they would struggle to score and planning to muck the game up. This worked fairly well at first when the rebounds fell their way. Indiana is a pretty big team whose starting line up consists of one small guard in Ferrell and four wings who are 6'7 or taller, but even a big team that leads the country in rebounding cant turn offensive boards into a sustainable offense, and Syracuse actually ended up out rebounding Indiana.

At half time Boeheim made all the right adjustments, the biggest being contracting the zone and taking away passes into the post. The team responded, and the result was a shut out of historic proportions. The game got a little embarrassing, and Indiana got desperate (and dirty). The officials tried to keep control of the game by calling even the slightest contact inside a foul, and honestly if they hadn't Indiana's final score would have been in the 30's. Indiana only scored 13 points from the field in the second half, and six of those thirteen came from garbage time lay-ups Syracuse willingly allowed in an effort to avoid undeserved fouls.

I honestly can't remember a major conference team being shut down as thoroughly as Indiana was in the second half of this game. Compare Indiana's 37% from the floor and 29% from three to Baylor who shot 55% from the floor and 47% from three and you see the kind of defensive improvement I am talking about. Baylor is better than Indiana, but a twenty point field goal percentage difference has way more to do with Syracuse than who their opponent is. As a Syracuse fan you really could not have asked for more than to see SU continue their evolution by putting together a complete game and winning big.

On the other side of the court, Indiana came out playing a man to man defense that generally switched off on screens (which makes sense since almost everybody on their team is 6'7 or 6'8 so there are not a lot of mismatches to exploit).

In the second half Crean tried a gimmick press and a gimmick 1-3-1 zone out of desperation. Neither defense worked, but their 1-3-1 was especially bad. It seemed like everyone was open all the time.

Despite Indiana's size and obvious athleticism Syracuse shot 51% from the field, and 46% from three. I don't think it was Syracuse's best offensive performance, but usually young players struggle defensively and Indiana is very young.

Syracuse is not a finished product by any means. Their defense needs to improve and so does their offense, but they are quickly moving in all he right directions. The only question that remains is how high they go before topping out. I will end this with a comparison.

November 16 - Syracuse 69 – Colgate 50

December 3 - Syracuse 69 – Indiana 52

What better way to illustrate how far Syracuse has come in just a few weeks.

Player evaluations:

Ennis – Would you be surprised if I said he improved more than anybody in the week since Maui? His numbers look about the same, but his defense is on a whole new level. In Maui, Ennis found himself lost in space far too often, not knowing quite where to be in the zone. I saw none of that against Indiana, in fact, Ennis showed great instincts cheating inside to strip Volneh when Indiana tried to force the ball down low. The only caveat here is, Indiana had few shooters and few offensive options, making it easy for a Ennis to figure out where he should be, but there is no doubt improvements were made. Offensively the big thing you want to see from Ennis is finishing around the basket (since nobody seems to be able to stay in front of him). In this game he was 5-7 in the paint. Mission accomplished.

Cooney – Indiana switched a lot on defense, but tried to keep Troy Williams on Cooney. If you didn't watch the game (or sportscenter) Troy Williams is an ultra athletic 6'7 wing who had the play of the day with a follow up dunk over Fair and Grant that superman would be envious of. You might think that Williams length and athleticism would bother Cooney, but it didn't. Cooney ran Williams ragged, sprinting past screens, stopping on a dime and shooting with a quick release. I've said it before but Cooney makes incredibly difficult shots, and if he keeps making them I'm not sure anybody is going to be able to stop him. I mentioned to a friend before the game that if Cooney got hot, Indiana would not stand a chance, and that was true - he hit more threes than the entire Indiana team. Cooney is also playing fantastic defense, getting steals while maintaining good positional defense, something only the best of the best do.

Fair – Fouls bothered Fair in this game (as they bothered everyone on the back line of the zone) but discounting that I thought he played well. Indiana assigned their best defender (the senior Sheehey) to Fair, and asked him to crowd Fair and force him to put the ball on the floor. This didn't seem to bother Fair much. He had the best success of his career with dribble penetration, scoring 15 points on fifty percent shooting, and earning seven trips to the line. The damage could have been even worse because Fair had two threes that went half way down only to somehow pop out (goodbye soft Maui rims). Because he sat a lot towards the end with foul trouble, all of Fair's 15 points were important ones that came when the game was still in doubt.

Christmas – Coleman – Keita – I'm going to lump these guys together because they split the center minutes almost evenly (14 for Kieta, 14 for Coleman, 12 for Christmas) and took turns bearing the brunt of Volneh's dirty play and Hess and crew's quick whistles – each ending up with 4 fouls. I thought all three guys fought hard and acquitted themselves well, and for the first time all year we really needed all three. Christmas's blocks were a difference maker in this game, Keita showed the same fire that helped him shut Indiana down last year (although he got more fouls for his trouble this time around), and Coleman was surprisingly effective. I thought Coleman might struggle against Volneh's length but he showed a tenacity on the boards and a willingness to fight for position down low BEFORE catching the ball that is going to be the key to college success. For the first time he reminded me a bit of Arinze.

Gbinije – Played the 1, 2, and 3 positions and looked good defensively in each. He is useful for maintaining defensive continuity whenever someone needs to go to the bench. Every jump shot or drive to the basket he makes is a bonus.

Grant – Had the worst game of anybody on the team. He had four nice points off offensive rebounds, but canceled those out by making two big defensive blunders. He was the only player who looked lost on defense in this game. Keep an eye on Grant's defense. Right now its not very good, but he has the physical tools to be great (think a forward version of MCW). If everything clicks for him, he can take Syracuse to a new level defensively – and if they want to make big noise in March that is probably going to have to happen.

Very nice analysis, as always. Just to hear some additional thoughts on the subject, you mentioned the drastic decrease in opponent FG % between the Baylor game and last night. I definitely agree that the defense looked much improved against Indiana compared to the earlier games, which is encouraging to see. But I think a significant factor in Indiana's crappy percentages vs. Baylor's impressive numbers may simply be the fact that Indiana is a very, very poor shooting team...especially from 3. It's embarrassingly bad. Baylor has very good numbers for 3-point % and overall FG %. I'll disregard whether or not the supposed soft rims in Maui played any factor.

Very nice analysis, as always. Just to hear some additional thoughts on the subject, you mentioned the drastic decrease in opponent FG % between the Baylor game and last night. I definitely agree that the defense looked much improved against Indiana compared to the earlier games, which is encouraging to see. But I think a significant factor in Indiana's crappy percentages vs. Baylor's impressive numbers may simply be the fact that Indiana is a very, very poor shooting team...especially from 3. It's embarrassingly bad. Baylor has very good numbers for 3-point % and overall FG %. I'll disregard whether or not the supposed soft rims in Maui played any factor.

You are completely right. If we played the same D against Baylor that we did against Indiana they would have shot better than Indiana because they are a much more skilled team. Their field goal percentage would have probably landed somewhere between what they shot against us and what Indiana shot against us. I'd say in the 40's somewhere.

Baylor took 47 shots against us and made 55%. Lets say against our improved D they make 45% (still much better than Indiana) and even though its unlikely lets say they make the same amount of threes and the same amount of free throws. They would have only scored 57 points against us (as opposed to 67) and lost by 17 (as opposed to 7). That is the kind of difference I feel like our performance in the Indiana game will make.

You are completely right. If we played the same D against Baylor that we did against Indiana they would have shot better than Indiana because they are a much more skilled team. Their field goal percentage would have probably landed somewhere between what they shot against us and what Indiana shot against us. I'd say in the 40's somewhere.

Baylor took 47 shots against us and made 55%. Lets say against our improved D they make 45% (still much better than Indiana) and even though its unlikely lets say they make the same amount of threes and the same amount of free throws. They would have only scored 57 points against us (as opposed to 67) and lost by 17 (as opposed to 7). That is the kind of difference I feel like our performance in the Indiana game will make.

As our offense has really started to come into its own with CJ doing a little of everything, Grant operating inside, and Cooney just going berserk from 3, my main concern was our defense. I think it's great that we're starting to really see improvements in that area. It's hard not to be excited about how this team is shaping up!

As our offense has really started to come into its own with CJ doing a little of everything, Grant operating inside, and Cooney just going berserk from 3, my main concern was our defense. I think it's great that we're starting to really see improvements in that area. It's hard not to be excited about how this team is shaping up!

I completely agree.

I thought Coleman might struggle against Volneh's length but he showed a tenacity on the boards and a willingness to fight for position down low BEFORE catching the ball that is going to be the key to college success. For the first time he reminded me a bit of Arinze.

I very much like your comment about getting position down low BEFORE catching the ball. But what I saw and thought was significant was the one nice offensive play Coleman had was the way he got the ball, kept it up high, and made no pump fakes. He then immediately just did a half-step pivot and then plowed to the basket making his layup shot. It was a very quick catch, pivot, and shoot. I think when he does his pump fake thing that extra 1/2 second allows the defense to get in better position on him causing him to miss his shot, get stripped, or be blocked. Coleman does not take contact well in the act of shooting after the pump fake. I have not seen him make any shot after the pump fake. I think he does much better when he is just plowing to the basket while making his shot. It has to be catch, pivot, and immediately shoot.

I've actually never coached, but I have watched basketball my whole life, and I like to think I've learned to process what I see.

Me too. But this year I am coaching a 5th/6th grade team. We won our first game and the parents love what I've done. One parent said our team looked like professionals. I am having a blast! My son is loving the extra father time.

At half time Boeheim made all the right adjustments, the biggest being contracting the zone and taking away passes into the post. The team responded, and the result was a shut out of historic proportions.

To me, this was your most telling statement. Imagine that you were a player on the team and experienced the difference in results caused by some minor changes in application of the zone that the coach described at halftime. It has got to make a believer out of you and make you play harder.

I really got the feeling JB wasn't so much playing stall ball mid way through the second, but really calling off the dogs. That game could have gone the way of 1988 MSG if he hadn't.

I watched Cooney, he now runs his defender ragged to shake him . It's amazing to watch the work ethic he displays to get free. I think Ennis and Cooney are very smart players - they don't make the same mistake twice. At midnight madness it was apparent that Cooney and Ennis have developed a great partnership out there. Knowing one's teammates, coordinating both defensively and offensively is so key to being a great point guard and Ennis really gets it.

I agree that Grant's development - I don't think he's played that well yet - will be crucial to continued elite success. Fair and Grant( when he gets his game together) will be the most difficult match up for opponents. Was happy seeing improvement from DC2 - when he screens and sets picks he adds dimension and size that reed thin Keita's willingness to set picks and screens for teammates can't(too bad Cooney missed that one reverse layup - DC2 screened off so well making that drive possible). DC2 has to focus and get down the court quicker though or it will continue to limit his minutes.

So much fun watching these kids develop and work hard to get better. I think we've gotten better at recruiting not only players who fit the system better but the system now has the luxury, because of our depth, to require players to work hard on both ends of the floor to earn playing time.(better not only for the program but for the players too)

Last edited:
I very much like your comment about getting position down low BEFORE catching the ball. But what I saw and thought was significant was the one nice offensive play Coleman had was the way he got the ball, kept it up high, and made no pump fakes. He then immediately just did a half-step pivot and then plowed to the basket making his layup shot. It was a very quick catch, pivot, and shoot. I think when he does his pump fake thing that extra 1/2 second allows the defense to get in better position on him causing him to miss his shot, get stripped, or be blocked. Coleman does not take contact well in the act of shooting after the pump fake. I have not seen him make any shot after the pump fake. I think he does much better when he is just plowing to the basket while making his shot. It has to be catch, pivot, and immediately shoot.

You are right about Coleman turning and immediately laying the ball up, but that is easy to do when there is nobody between you and the basket and much harder with a 6'10 guy with a 7'wingspan and a 35 in vertical in your way. The reason Coleman was able to lay the ball right in is because he pushed Vonleh out of the way before the pass so that he had a free path to the basket. I want to see a lot more of that.

To me, this was your most telling statement. Imagine that you were a player on the team and experienced the difference in results caused by some minor changes in application of the zone that the coach described at halftime. It has got to make a believer out of you and make you play harder.

I'm sure the positive reinforcement will help as you said, but I have to say I never felt the defensive problems had anything to do with effort. Ennis was all over the place in Maui and gave a supreme effort, and it showed in all the steals he got. His problem was mental, he ended up in the wrong place too many times and gave up too many open threes. You can say the same for Grant, he is very willing to mix it up defensively and on the boards (hell it practically runs in his blood) he just needs to be in the best position to utilize his gifts. Long story short, more effort never hurts, but its not what Syracuse lacks, more film study is.

Great post and thread as usual . . . . . .although I really find I don't have much to add. I'm enjoying the hell out of watching this team improve especially realizing there will be even more to come.

The coolest part of the game was when we extended the lead to 8 you could tell it was over. We were going to bury that game and Indiana wasn't going to have an answer, and that's exactly how it went down.
Like in the tournament - within about 2 minutes I knew we had that game.

I'm sure the positive reinforcement will help as you said, but I have to say I never felt the defensive problems had anything to do with effort. Ennis was all over the place in Maui and gave a supreme effort, and it showed in all the steals he got. His problem was mental, he ended up in the wrong place too many times and gave up too many open threes. You can say the same for Grant, he is very willing to mix it up defensively and on the boards (hell it practically runs in his blood) he just needs to be in the best position to utilize his gifts. Long story short, more effort never hurts, but its not what Syracuse lacks, more film study is.
I didn't mean increased effort per se, I meant commitment to the zone and working hard to make it function as intended.

Fair – Fouls bothered Fair in this game (as they bothered everyone on the back line of the zone) but discounting that I thought he played well. Indiana assigned their best defender (the senior Sheehey) to Fair, and asked him to crowd Fair and force him to put the ball on the floor. This didn't seem to bother Fair much. He had the best success of his career with dribble penetration, scoring 15 points on fifty percent shooting, and earning seven trips to the line. The damage could have been even worse because Fair had two threes that went half way down only to somehow pop out (goodbye soft Maui rims). Because he sat a lot towards the end with foul trouble, all of Fair's 15 points were important ones that came when the game was still in doubt.

As always, I think 95% of your post is on the money. I have one comment about CJ's efforts last night, or should I say IU's defensive game plan against him. I think they did a great job of forcing him to his right, and that bothered him more than crowding him. Seemed like a blueprint for every team we play from here on out. Of course JB did a great job in the second half setting CJ up on the left side of the lane which allowed him a bit more freedom to dribble drive and he took advantage very well.

I would still love to see two things improve with CJ's game - use his right hand effectively, and give up the ball to wide open big men down low. He's missed some very easy assists to Rak and Coleman this year in the few games I've been able to watch.

The only thing I have to add on my thoughts about Indiana...WE OWN THEM RIGHT NOW!!!
big deal . . . SU could get to 20-1 vs IU and that 1 would still trump the 20

I noticed that from the crowd and kinda lost it for that split second. I really hope the staff emphasizes how big that was for him. I've been waiting a long time to see him go straight up with it instead of bringing the ball down low. I really think if he can make that a habit, he can score 15 a game (because he'd definitely play more minutes and because he's so good at sealing his man with his big body).

One other quick note: As much as I love Keita, it would be so huge if Coleman can really claim that center spot as his own. Having a big man that can catch passes adds a whole other dimension to the team. Last night (and a couple of times throughout the year), Cooney has made some absurdly good passes that have threaded the needle for an easy layup for Keita and Xmas only to have the pass go right through their hands. Cooney has to know his personnel, and to know that he can't be making those kinds of passes to them since they just can't handle them, but it would be huge if we had a center that could catch those passes and go straight up with it.