Interesting Experiment for Final Four Weekend... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Experiment for Final Four Weekend...

Personally I think Nantz should stick to golf but this could turn out really bad!

The Turner Network channels plan to use "local talent" rather than Nantz and company to broadcast the semi-final games. Since we don't have local TV announcers... would that mean Matt Park and Jim Satalin doing tv instead of radio?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/12/s...mc=edit_tnt_20140311&nlid=1437122&tntemail0=y

I wonder if that means that they will have the radio broadcasts with the game like ESPN had on WatchESPN for the college football National Championship. If not, then maybe Jason Benetti would have the play-by-play call for us.

Why is cbs messing around here?

The National Semi-finals will still be broadcast on TBS with Jim Nantz & Co.

TNT and TruTV will offer the "local" versions.

You have a choice.

Matt and Jim are a lot better than some of those ACC announcers on the regional package. Just hope it's not Mark Larson.

You have a choice.

Matt and Jim are a lot better than some of those ACC announcers on the regional package. Just hope it's not Mark Larson.
I know...I just don't get it.. Nantz is the best...

I'd sign up for Raf and Verne. They could also throw in a feature to measure their BAC's throughout the broadcast.

You have a choice.

This makes a lot more sense; Nantz is their voice; they aren't gonna pull him from the FF.

love it.

but they really should just mike up a few guys out at Colemans or some place in the City.

now that, id listen to.

probably have to be on showtime, but damn...
Bees, Jake and I would do it for a very reasonable fee. Section 310, represent!

And yes, it would have to be on pay cable. Our call would not be fit for the children.

Matt's a little too bombastic for my taste, but Satalin is better than 99% of the national color talent. He knows the game, has a decent voice, and avoids saying foolish things. That makes him a triple threat, I believe.

Bob Costas and Mike Tirico? Former local guys, a little TV experience. Professional.

sutomcat said:
Bees, Jake and I would do it for a very reasonable fee. Section 310, represent! And yes, it would have to be on pay cable. Our call would not be fit for the children.

It would crush most of what we get now.

It would crush most of what we get now.
which is the point. problem for Syracuse is... because most games are on espn, there are no local announcers, except for radio...and who listens to the game on the radio??

this has the acc and raycom all over it. its a way for the acc guys to telecast the inevitable dook or unc F4 game.

its not like the pro's where if given the choice...im watching the YES and MSG announced feeds.

i'd like them to experiement with no announcers at all. just pump in the crowd noise.

Not sure what feed will be picked up in Canada, but if its not Nantz it would be fine with me.

love it.

but they really should just mike up a few guys out at Colemans or some place in the City.

now that, id listen to.

probably have to be on showtime, but damn...
i want a live mystery science 3000 broadcast where they can mock the real announcers in real time

i'd like them to experiement with no announcers at all. just pump in the crowd noise.

been done. didn't work .miami dolphins. 1980. not that i hated it.
link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

wish i could mic up the man cave for some viewers. have to be on HBO or SHOWTIME of course. lottsa laughs and critique (language and ganja references not suitable for all listeners)

funny story. my wife was a 1st grade teacher and many years back a couple of her girls
stopped over to our house with an SU VICTORY CAKE that they had specially made.
i told the lil' darlings that the wife was out for a while (beer run) but thanks i'd pass it along.
but the girls asked if it would be ok if they waited so they could present it to her themselves.
ok. i asked them to wait and then went inside and collected up all the cans and paraphernalia.
i invited them in and they sat on the couch with me and the posse drinking soda and eating orange frosted cake. the attempt to self edit with our two little censors present was hilarious !
needless to say my wife was stunned to return home and walk into our little brownie troup.

Last edited:

Honestly, there is way too much talking during these events. I too would like more crowd noise, and maybe some of what the coaches are saying. Give me the Joyce experience, with a little Raf and Bobby Knight mixed in.

i watched the texas cuse FF from 03 that someone linked. billy packer would not . i want crowd noise, screeching shoes, and some player banter. thats it.

Just read a transcript of the chat room. :D

A transcript of the chat room would sound like Gilbert Gottfried or Fran Drescher or Pee Wee Herman telling us, at the most dire and hopeless moment of a game, to have perspective, over and over and over. And over. And over.

And over.