Interesting NIL numbers | Syracusefan.com

Interesting NIL numbers

I wonder how much NIL money is taxable income and how much is envelopes of cash.

College athletes are not required to reveal what they earn from NIL deals, so the actual amounts of money they are making are difficult to verify. This explains why the figures are so low in this article. The athletes can make deals with companies and endorse their products, and they can also accept unlimited amounts from boosters. Players do have to do something in return for the cash they receive from boosters, but a selfie with the player or an autograph covers that stipulation.

The money that boosters used to give to universities was dispersed to support all of the school's athletic programs. Most boosters only have a limited amount of money they can donate and if top basketball and football stars are being paid a million dollars or more, people should expect that many athletic departments will have less money to support these teams that play minor sports.

NIL is also going to have a major impact on the college football and basketball world. UConn's athletic department has been losing millions of dollars in recent years and if a lot of the money from boosters is diverted to their hoops stars, the university is unlikely going to be able to continue financing a football team at the FBS level. Four of North Carolina's starters who played in last year's national basketball championship game returned this year and they're all making hundreds of thousands of dollars. Armando Bacot drives around campus in a $80,000 Audi SUV and according to his mother he has deals worth well over $500,000. There are a lot of schools in the conference that are not going to be able to remain competitive in the future with the league's biggest programs.

The biggest disparity in college sports is the conference television contracts. The Big Ten's new contract dishes out more than $7 billion over the next seven years, while the ACC has a contract that runs through 2036, and only pays the conference $240 million annually. A lot of universities are going to be left in the dust by the changes that are coming to college sports

Last edited:
How does this beer sale thing work? Wondering if Meier's Creek, prison city or another local brewery could brew a beer with proceeds going to an SU collective.

and it still gets you to wondering the value of paying these athletes in a business sense.. I mean what product are people buying because and celebrity was paid to endorse it?

and it still gets you to wondering the value of paying these athletes in a business sense.. I mean what product are people buying because and celebrity was paid to endorse it?
It’s not a product it’s affiliation or lifestyle or access - the non tangible aspects of brand building. Affiliation can mean a lot to a brand looking to position itself with the right crowd. At least that’s where I see the business benefit although I sense a lot of NIL is not strictly done for a business benefit …

Kim Kardashian is worth many millions. Not sure where where your off-the-grid hideaway is, but I’d love to rent it for a few days.

How does this beer sale thing work? Wondering if Meier's Creek, prison city or another local brewery could brew a beer with proceeds going to an SU collective.
Next step would to be to strike the NIL package and then follow it up with a contract in the Dome. The AD and collectives would be able to leverage our beer sale advantage on campus for mutual profit to all parties. I would be more inclined to buy multiple beers if I knew a part of the proceeds were going to the student athletes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom