Interesting (perhaps irrelevant) Note about Staff | Syracusefan.com

Interesting (perhaps irrelevant) Note about Staff

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
I just saw on Facebook that three staff members of the basketball offices, including JB's assistant, just got hired by the Boeheim Foundation.

For the first time, I'm starting to think his retirement is imminent and he's giving all his loyal people parachutes so they don't have to worry.

Saw that too. That's the second intangible that indicates things are moving along in some capacity. Absolutely would not be surprise me if he retires before the season started.
Before the season would still shock me at this point. But if you are expecting to see him coaching into his 80s, I don't think that's going to happen.

Saw that too. That's the second intangible that indicates things are moving along in some capacity. Absolutely would not be surprise me if he retires before the season started.
I would be shocked if he retires before next season. He thinks he has a contender next year and he wants to coach it. Only way he retires before coaching 2 more full seasons would be if he's sick, which I hope is not the case.

I would be shocked if he retires before next season. He thinks he has a contender next year and he wants to coach it. Only way he retires before coaching 2 more full seasons would be if he's sick, which I hope is not the case.
He loses his two best players next year in Girard and Jesse. He promised to coach this year’s freshmen. I think this will be his last year.

This is interesting, does the fact JB is giving parachutes mean that there is no guarantee of an "in house" succession?

If going in house why the need to jump ship?

This is interesting, does the fact JB is giving parachutes mean that there is no guarantee of an "in house" succession?

That’s way overthinking it

I just saw on Facebook that three staff members of the basketball offices, including JB's assistant, just got hired by the Boeheim Foundation.

For the first time, I'm starting to think his retirement is imminent and he's giving all his loyal people parachutes so they don't have to worry.
Your interpretation of the announcement is not correct. Ashley left the basketball office about four years ago when she got married. Kelly (who used to run the Foundation) is continuing in her job as JB's assistant, but is taking on a little responsibility with the Foundation. There was formerly a full time director of the Foundation. Now, the responsibilities will be split three ways.

I've had people I worked with for years that I didn't care for... If I was promoted to being in charge, I would have gone a different way while filling their roles.

Executive and personal assistants are extremely specialized. Autry, McNamara or whomever might not have wanted to keep them, either in their same roles or at all.

JB hiring them away removed that worry. It's a nice thing to do for loyal employees.

EDIT: cto thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree, and with incorrect data no less.

Your interpretation of the announcement is not correct. Ashley left the basketball office about four years ago when she got married. Kelly (who used to run the Foundation) is continuing in her job as JB's assistant, but is taking on a little responsibility with the Foundation. There was formerly a full time director of the Foundation. Now, the responsibilities will be split three ways.
Not to mention Ashley is married to the current Director of Basketball Operations (Peter)

We have an NC type expectation for next year's team?

I've had people I worked with for years that I didn't care for... If I was promoted to being in charge, I would have gone a different way while filling their roles.

Executive and personal assistants are extremely specialized. Autry, McNamara or whomever might not have wanted to keep them, either in their same roles or at all.

JB hiring them away removed that worry. It's a nice thing to do for loyal employees.

EDIT: cto thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree, and with incorrect data no less.
Please read carefully what I wrote. Kelly remains as JB's executive assistant. She is taking back a small piece of work of the Foundation (She ran the Foundation before becoming JB's executive assistant). Ashley and Jill will do the marketing, communications and grant administration at the Foundation. These moves have ZERO to do with JB's future retirement plans (whenever they may be).

We have an NC type expectation for next year's team?
JB and the staff think the team will be extremely good in 23-24. So do I. Maybe not a NC type expectation, but at least a consistently ranked type expectation and certainly a squad capable of a deep run in March. Also, if Adam manages to produce a $1m player (which is looking unlikely for 2023 unless a stud ends up in the portal), then why not?

JB and the staff think the team will be extremely good in 23-24. So do I. Maybe not a NC type expectation, but at least a consistently ranked type expectation and certainly a squad capable of a deep run in March. Also, if Adam manages to produce a $1m player (which is looking unlikely for 2023 unless a stud ends up in the portal), then why not?

Seems reasonable, especially if Mintz rounds into form as the team's "star" / go to guy in year 2.

The class of 2022 has a lot of nice program guys. I expect Jesse to be gone, but who knows? If he came back, then Mintz / Edwards would be a heckuva foundation to build upon -- with Symir, Copeland, Taylor, and Bunch waiting in the wings.

A lot hinges on what the potential for Brown / Carey turns out to be. If those guys hit [and I'm not suggesting that we need them to put it all together in year 1], then we have a lot of nice components. Maybe Benny also figures things out and lives up to his lofty HS ranking.

And maybe NIL delivers us a star to add to that mix, taking a solid nucleus to the next level. Even without that, I could see a lineup of Symir, Mintz, Taylor, Brown, and Edwards being a top 25 team. We'd be exponentially more athletic than last year, with better system fits for the zone.

Seems reasonable, especially if Mintz rounds into form as the team's "star" / go to guy in year 2.

The class of 2022 has a lot of nice program guys. I expect Jesse to be gone, but who knows? If he came back, then Mintz / Edwards would be a heckuva foundation to build upon -- with Symir, Copeland, Taylor, and Bunch waiting in the wings.

A lot hinges on what the potential for Brown / Carey turns out to be. If those guys hit [and I'm not suggesting that we need them to put it all together in year 1], then we have a lot of nice components. Maybe Benny also figures things out and lives up to his lofty HS ranking.

And maybe NIL delivers us a star to add to that mix, taking a solid nucleus to the next level.
We're knocking on the door. We just need to keep our 2022 guys happy and hope Adam can find a 5-star to plug in. I could see it happening.

Agree that Mintz could very well be a 2-year guy who dominates. I'm 95% sure Joe and Jesse will leave. No idea on Symir but I could definitely see him staying. Maybe I'm crazy, but I have a feeling each of the 6 freshmen will pan out. Maliq and Peter Carey were the biggest question marks, and apparently Maliq might start as a freshman, and all reports indicate Carey is not only freakishly athletic, but he's also skilled. We have every position covered next year with really good options, and we have the possibility of Adam getting a star. There's a lot to look forward to.

There’s currently a huge hole in the middle in 23-24.

There’s currently a huge hole in the middle in 23-24.
I was thinking that’s where Adam could plug in a guy if possible. Or otherwise get a transfer and offer a starting spot. We also really have no idea about Carey’s capabilities yet. But I agree that’s a position of concern.

Please read carefully what I wrote. Kelly remains as JB's executive assistant. She is taking back a small piece of work of the Foundation (She ran the Foundation before becoming JB's executive assistant). Ashley and Jill will do the marketing, communications and grant administration at the Foundation. These moves have ZERO to do with JB's future retirement plans (whenever they may be).
Right... I responded to the post before reading your reply. I understand the roadsigns aren't nearly as clear as I read them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom