Interesting question on Orange Nation | Syracusefan.com

Interesting question on Orange Nation

SWC75

Bored Historian
They were discussing how a couple of NBA insiders were suggesting Buddy Boeheim might get drafted because "there's not much out there after the top 35 picks". This produced a chatroom storm on Twitch where several posters were denigrating Buddy and the hosts for taking this seriously. Paulie ask: What if Buddy had gone to another school and put up the numbers he did here? What would those criticizing say? Would they think it was a good thing he didn't come here because of all his limitations? Or would they criticize Jim Boeheim for being unable to recruit his own son, (or declining to coach him to avoid nepotism allegations), who could have been scoring all those points for us?

Buddy is a meh overall basketball player.

He's a volume scorer, who shoots a mediocre percentage.
He also is a minus athlete and negative defender.

I am VERY glad that he played here.
... except for the fact that his coach had Dad-goggles on the entire 4 years, and played him far too many minutes for his skill and ability levels.

In part due to being unable to recruit and/or retain more talented players, who might have gotten Buddy's minutes.

Don't see how he's playable in the NBA, due to his limitations.

... except for the fact that his coach had Dad-goggles on the entire 4 years, and played him far too many minutes for his skill and ability levels.

In part due to being unable to recruit and/or retain more talented players, who might have gotten Buddy's minutes.

Chances are you catch some heat for this post but it’s just the truth.

imo Cole’s the only one with arguable NBA level skills and even at that I dont think he’s draftable.

Buddy is unplayable in the league. Anytime he’s on the court the opposing team is going to seek him out for an easy bucket. Hard to hide a bad defender in man to man.

They were discussing how a couple of NBA insiders were suggesting Buddy Boeheim might get drafted because "there's not much out there after the top 35 picks". This produced a chatroom storm on Twitch where several posters were denigrating Buddy and the hosts for taking this seriously. Paulie ask: What if Buddy had gone to another school and put up the numbers he did here? What would those criticizing say? Would they think it was a good thing he didn't come here because of all his limitations? Or would they criticize Jim Boeheim for being unable to recruit his own son, (or declining to coach him to avoid nepotism allegations), who could have been scoring all those points for us?

Buddy will likely not make the NBA. Here's the thing, the NBA is insanely tough to make.

Alondes Williams was ACC POY and he MIGHT be a second round draft pick.

Armando Bacot is not in Givony's 2023 mock.

I can go on.

You can be a very good college basketball player and not make the NBA, happens all the time. I'm not sure who those "insiders" were, but saying that comment about the 35+ picks is archaic.

Buddy will be paid to play professional basketball somewhere if he wants. He has limitations that will likely not allow him to make an NBA roster.

It's not denigrating Buddy's college career to say he is not an NBA player. Those are not the same thing.

Credit to Buddy for his college career and his impending professional basketball career, wherever it may be.

No credit for that hot take of a bit that is very lazy and knowingly going to cause a stir.

[EDIT: SWC - just being clear, I'm talking about the guys having that convo doing it as a hot take, nothing that you wrote.]

Last edited:
Buddy will likely not make the NBA. Here's the thing, the NBA is insanely tough to make.

Alondes Williams was ACC POY and he MIGHT be a second round draft pick.

Armando Bacot is not in Givony's 2023 mock.

I can go on.

You can be a very good college basketball player and not make the NBA, happens all the time. I'm not sure who those "insiders" were, but saying that comment about the 35+ picks is archaic.

Buddy will be paid to play professional basketball somewhere if he wants. He has limitations that will likely not allow him to make an NBA roster.

It's not denigrating Buddy's college career to say he is not an NBA player. Those are not the same thing.

Credit to Buddy for his college career and his impending professional basketball career, wherever it may be.

No credit for that hot take of a bit that is very lazy and knowingly going to cause a stir.

[EDIT: SWC - just being clear, I'm talking about the guys having that convo doing it as a hot take, nothing that you wrote.]

And, of course, 'making it' and getting drafted are two different things. Buddy's competition wouldn't be his fellow draftees: it would be the other players on the roster or in the 'G" leagues.

Buddy is unplayable in the league. Anytime he’s on the court the opposing team is going to seek him out for an easy bucket. Hard to hide a bad defender in man to man.
There are a lot of guys that get targeted on defense. Buddy's other attributes likely don't over come that.
Not sure why the absolute pinnacle (NBA) is how one's college or professional legacy should be judged. (A general observation, not a dig at the posters.). Buddy has already accomplished his basketball dream: playing at SU for his dad. His brother taking part was icing on the cake.
People talk like the other coaches instructed their players to let Buddy score. It was quite the opposite.
For those denigrate Buddy: you can add up all of the seasons the ACC has existed. There are lots of great, great ACC players who never led the league in scoring or made 1st team. Buddy did both, so put that in your collective pipes and smoke it.

There are a lot of guys that get targeted on defense. Buddy's other attributes likely don't over come that.
Not sure why the absolute pinnacle (NBA) is how one's college or professional legacy should be judged. (A general observation, not a dig at the posters.). Buddy has already accomplished his basketball dream: playing at SU for his dad. His brother taking part was icing on the cake.
People talk like the other coaches instructed their players to let Buddy score. It was quite the opposite.
For those denigrate Buddy: you can add up all of the seasons the ACC has existed. There are lots of great, great ACC players who never led the league in scoring or made 1st team. Buddy did both, so put that in your collective pipes and smoke it.
I don’t think anyone is taking anything away from Buddy or his “legacy” by saying he’s not an NBA player.

I think Buddy was first team All-ACC. Not many meh players attain that. Not to mention that not many players could have carried last years Syracuse team to a sweet 16. Is he a NBA player? No. But he is a lot better than a meh player. Every team we played, had one goal on defense. Limit Buddy. Houston even went so far as to actual double team him. Fair is fair.

Luka Garza is a parallel—someone who achieved a lot in college, but probably isn't suited for the NBA. Buddy would be a defensive liability, and on offense, he'd had a more difficult time producing, even without being the focalpoint of an offense. I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong, but he'd have to away in combines scrimmages to pique my interest if i were a GM.

If Buddy had an NBA body he might have an NBA career.. There are lots of guys with NBA bodies with dont really have great NBA skills. You have to at least have a decent of NBA athletism to compete in a league like that. If he had better quickness many of the shots he had to take on college would have been much easier to get off and make. If he had better dribble skills. if he could jump better. if he had more speed.. he didnt get those skill sets, but much of that you can only improve so much.

If Buddy had gone to another school and put up the #s he did here, what would I say?

As far as his chances making the NBA, him going to another school wouldn't change my opinion a bit.

As far as if he put up the numbers he did at another school and that school had a losing record as well? I suppose I'd be saying shame he didn't have better teammates around him or wondering if he could have helped our team.

Would I criticize JB for not being able to recruit his own son? Depends. What's our record over the 4 years w/o him? If had 1 sweet 16 and 2 years with no bid which is what happened, probably. If we were say... in the tourney every year and had a final 4...prob not.

FTR, I dont think Buddy was a meh college basketball player at all. I'd say he was very, very good specifically on the offense end.

Buddy will make an Nba roster. I hope I'm wrong but I'd be really surprised if he got drafted tonight.

Luka Garza is a parallel—someone who achieved a lot in college, but probably isn't suited for the NBA. Buddy would be a defensive liability, and on offense, he'd had a more difficult time producing, even without being the focalpoint of an offense. I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong, but he'd have to away in combines scrimmages to pique my interest if i were a GM.

He might be the sort of guy who is the 15th guy on a roster but wins the three point shooting contest before the All-star game.

If Buddy had gone to another school and put up the #s he did here, what would I say?

As far as his chances making the NBA, him going to another school wouldn't change my opinion a bit.

As far as if he put up the numbers he did at another school and that school had a losing record as well? I suppose I'd be saying shame he didn't have better teammates around him or wondering if he could have helped our team.

Would I criticize JB for not being able to recruit his own son? Depends. What's our record over the 4 years w/o him? If had 1 sweet 16 and 2 years with no bid which is what happened, probably. If we were say... in the tourney every year and had a final 4...prob not.

FTR, I dont think Buddy was a meh college basketball player at all. I'd say he was very, very good specifically on the offense end.
I think the point of the post is, if buddy was coming into Syracuse on a team like Pitt and dropping 20 a game would we be pissed we didnt get him when he wanted to come to Syracuse? I’m not sure if record has anything to do with it, one player doesn’t make a team, but one player can make a team better. I’d argue the same thing about girard, imagine he comes in shooting 40% a game, sure he has some turnovers but we would be complaining about how ridiculous we couldn’t close a kid in the back yard who can drop 20 on any given night.

I hope he makes it for many reasons most especially because of his work ethic and the way he carried himself as a player, teammate, representative of SU and a Son.

He might be the sort of guy who is the 15th guy on a roster but wins the three point shooting contest before the All-star game.

They havent really let that level of player shoot in the 3 pt contest of late.

Buddy will get isolated and absolutely abused on defense in the NBA. If he could elevate his defense to mediocre he would be draftable. Unfortunately that’s a pretty tall mountain to climb.

I think the point of the post is, if buddy was coming into Syracuse on a team like Pitt and dropping 20 a game would we be pissed we didnt get him when he wanted to come to Syracuse? I’m not sure if record has anything to do with it, one player doesn’t make a team, but one player can make a team better. I’d argue the same thing about girard, imagine he comes in shooting 40% a game, sure he has some turnovers but we would be complaining about how ridiculous we couldn’t close a kid in the back yard who can drop 20 on any given night.

Ok, he asked a question and I answered. You say "WE would be complaining"..and I specifically spelled out that maybe I would or wouldnt. I'm sorry my answer didnt follow an agenda you were hoping for.

I've made it clear I'm not enamored with great numbers on bad teams. Every bad team has a guy who scores.

On top of that successful college career, Buddy will go play a kids game for millions of dollars over the next ten years in a series of beautiful foreign cities most of us will only get to visit in passing... Then he'll make many millions more coaching that same kids game until he gets tired of doing it.

Don't cry for me, Orange Nation.

Buddy will get isolated and absolutely abused on defense in the NBA. If he could elevate his defense to mediocre he would be draftable. Unfortunately that’s a pretty tall mountain to climb.

NBA mediocre.

Buddy won't play huge minutes in the NBA and won't be mauled by the best defender on the other team so he will have more energy to play decent defense.

Buddy won't play huge minutes in the NBA and won't be mauled by the best defender on the other team so he will have more energy to play decent defense.

Buddy likely won't play in the NBA. Loved him here, but he is not an NBA caliber player, along with 99.99999% of the world. There is nothing wrong with that. He will play overseas if he desires, and make plenty of money doing so.

Last edited:
Buddy likely won't play in the NBA. Loved him here, but he is not an NBA caliber player, along with 99.99999% of the world. There is nothing wrong with that. He will play overseas if he desires, and make plenty of money doing so.
He has a contract with the Pistons, so we will see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom