Interesting reaction in my corner of Connecticut... | Syracusefan.com

Interesting reaction in my corner of Connecticut...

cto

Administrator
At the social hour after church this morning, dozens of people came up to me... wanting to talk about the SU team and its two last-second wins this week. I admit I'm known down here as the "crazy Syracuse fan", but I found it interesting that so many folks in the middle of Husky Nation seem to be fascinated with our team and the way it wins games.

I got the same spontaneous reaction in a bunch of emails and texts last night from friends who have no Syracuse affiliation and no history of rooting for SU.

If we were clobbering teams, I don't think these folks would feel the same way. Contrary to posters in some threads here, I think our last-second heroics are winning us fans (or, at a minimum, a lot of interest and fascination) because they perceive us as a maligned under-dog who is somehow getting the job done.

Last edited:
At the social hour after church this morning, dozens of people came up to me... wanting to talk about the SU team and its two last-second wins this week. I admit I'm known down here as the "crazy Syracuse fan", but I found it interesting that so many folks in the middle of Husky Nation seem to be fascinated with our team and the way it wins games.

I got the same spontaneous reaction in a bunch of emails and texts last night from friends who have no Syracuse affiliation and no history of rooting for SU.

If we were clobbering teams, I don't think these folks would feel the same way. Contrary to posters in some threads here, I think our last-second heroics are winning us fans (or, at the minimum, a lot of interest and fascination) because they perceive us as a maligned under-dog who is somehow getting the job done.
Go over to the Boneyard Joyce. You won't see any love there.

Dasher... I know that full well. The folks at my church and those sending those emails... are not the Boneyard folks. They are just random people who live in CT.. and who obviously know and follow college basketball. They are graduates of, among other schools, Dartmouth, South Carolina, Penn, Northwestern, Columbia, Amherst, Bowdoin, NYU, Marquette, Yale, etc. But they all seem to watch SU games and are fascinated with our team.

Last edited:
Well, over there you have the group of Phishy Phanatics who bash us at every opportunity because it makes them feel better about themselves and takes their mind off their rotten situation and their inevitable decline to mid-major status. I won't even get started about football.

Dasher... I know that full well. The folks at my church and those sending those emails... are not the Boneyard folks. They are just random people who live in CT.. and who obviously know and follow college basketball. They are graduates of, among other schools, Dartmouth, South Carolina, Penn, Northwestern, Columbia, Amherst, Bowdoin, NYU, Marquette, Yale, etc. But they all seem to watch SU games and are fascinated with our team.

My Duke friends are also fascinated with our team! :rolleyes:

People are definitely jumping on the train. This morning I saw at least four people in the supermarket in Albany proudly sporting Cuse gear.
Syracuse_Orange_Wooden_College_Team_Train.jpg

I had a guy at the grocery store in Houston see my cuse shirt and say "They barely won it today!" and kept walking. Never gotten a comment before.

People are definitely jumping on the train. This morning I saw at least four people in the supermarket in Albany proudly sporting Cuse gear.
Yup, my son spotted a Cuse shirt in an NJ mall today. Aside from our gear, hadn't seen much aside from MSG and in Cuse. It begins.

You have to feel bad for them; they try to spell ACC and always end up with AAC.
Must be an editor for USA Today is a husky. Today's spots page discussing UConn's game said their win puts them withon striking distance in the ACC title race.

Here in Houston, my boss is a transplanted Buffoloan, but not a bball fan. That said, even she has commented to me about the Duke win. People are watching us who may not have before.

If we were clobbering teams, I don't think these folks would feel the same way. Contrary to posters in some threads here, I think our last-second heroics are winning us fans (or, at a minimum, a lot of interest and fascination) because they perceive us as a maligned under-dog who is somehow getting the job done.
Probably just trying to butter you up because they know you have court side seats. ;-)

Proudly sported the CUSE wear here in Charlotte. Anyone else find that they walk a little taller, feel a bit prouder having the letters on?
This season has been bliss so far & for every ACC foe we put down, I basically strut around like Eddie Murphy as "Sheriff Reggie Hammond" in 48 Hrs!
:cool:

Last edited:
Proudly sported the CUSE wear here in Charlotte. Anyone else find that they walk a little taller, feel a bit prouder having the letters on?
This season has been bliss so far & for every ACC foe we put down, I basically strut around like Eddie Murphy as Sheriff Reggie Hammond" in 48 Hrs!
Need to stick another banana in Duke's tailpipe.

Shabazz is freakin' awesome!

Oh, wait...wrong board. Please continue.

Where could one purchase these trains?

Well, over there you have the group of Phishy Phanatics who bash us at every opportunity because it makes them feel better about themselves and takes their mind off their rotten situation and their inevitable decline to mid-major status. I won't even get started about football.

Overall, this board does the same thing to them.

This season has been bliss so far & for every ACC foe we put down, I basically strut around like Eddie Murphy as Sheriff Reggie Hammond" in 48 Hrs!

I have had a few interesting conversations recently at Planet Fitness after sporting the Cuse gear.

When I taught outside Austin, my students and fellow workers would root for Syracuse Basketball. They would come into school asking me about the game. Everyone was surprised to know that Syracuse is not close to NYC. I would tell them the distance would be the same from Austin to almost the Oklahoma border.

i have got the impression over our impressive run the past 5 seasons that we have become the bandwagon school. those without any other affiliations, or reason to despise us seem to really like our programs. basically we are the anti-Duke

i have got the impression over our impressive run the past 5 seasons that we have become the bandwagon school. those without any other affiliations, or reason to despise us seem to really like our programs. basically we are the anti-Duke
Well the Bernie Fine thing didn't help but I think a lot of people like JAB. He's so warm and cuddly.:p

That's adorable. Anyone with a kid between 2&6 should indulge.
I'm going t snag one for my little guy, for sure. He loves playing with those little trains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom