Interesting stat on starting with the ball | Syracusefan.com

Interesting stat on starting with the ball

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So we've gotten the opening kickoff in every game this season.

We've scored on 5 of 6 of those possessions. The one we came up empty was against Purdue. In the other games we've got 4 TDs and 1 field goal.

That's some nice efficiency. Those are tone setters. I like putting a boot to the throat right away and make the other team start their offense with just a little pressure having to play from behind.

Last edited:
So we've gotten the opening kickoff in every game this season.

We've scored on 5 of 6 of those possessions. The one we came up empty was against Purdue. In the other games we've got 4 TDs and 1 field goal.

That's some nice efficiency. Those are tone setters. I like putting a boot to the throat right away and make the other team start their offense with just a little pressure having to play from behind.
Good point. This represents a complete turnaround in philosophy from past years, where we would routinely win the toss and defer to receive the ball in the second half. I love it.

Good point. This represents a complete turnaround in philosophy from past years, where we would routinely win the toss and defer to receive the ball in the second half. I love it.
I'm not sure how many times it's been our call to take the ball, but I am a big fan of getting it first and putting points on the board.

It reminds me of the Mike Shanahan days in Denver. He always like to script the first 10 plays of the game, and it was a very successful strategy. I wonder if Anae does the same thing. We always look so crisp on the first drive.
That’s what I’ve thought as well - it used to work well in the NFL for severAl teams (back when I watChEd NFL)

So I decided to look into this a little more. Shrader has been magic on these first drives. He's 15/18 passing with a passing TD and 3 rushing TDs. Also interesting, the two drives with incomplete passes are the ones where we got a field goal and no score (punted vs Purdue). The other drives with TDs he has a perfect passing percentage.

I definitely think Anae and Beck get credit for putting him in position to succeed right away. Coaching matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom