Interesting Time Warner article - network costs - Big 10 Net? | Syracusefan.com

Interesting Time Warner article - network costs - Big 10 Net?

I understand the leverage with fox etc, but if people dont watch it then they wont want to pay for it.

To get NFL Red Zone you have to buy a sports tier with Time Warner that includes BTN. I'm a Red Zone junkie so I got the extra tier and haven't watched a second of BTN programming. I will be cancelling this the second the games are over on week 17. Hopefully the Red Zone channel gets separated next season. When RZ first premiered in 2009 my cable co. at the time charged $50 for the entire season w/o any other channels added. With TW it's cheaper but I don't want to commit any more money to those B1G mofos than I have to.

To get NFL Red Zone you have to buy a sports tier with Time Warner that includes BTN. I'm a Red Zone junkie so I got the extra tier and haven't watched a second of BTN programming. I will be cancelling this the second the games are over on week 17. Hopefully the Red Zone channel gets separated next season. When RZ first premiered in 2009 my cable co. at the time charged $50 for the entire season w/o any other channels added. With TW it's cheaper but I don't want to commit any more money to those B1G mofos than I have to.

I didn't notice this until a couple weeks ago but my bill went up a couple bucks per month for that sports tier which was no big deal for the nfl stuff. But then I noticed I pay for the BTN on that tier but also the Pac10 network. Why the do I want the PTN? By tying these networks to other popular networks, we pay a little extra for crap we don't want. Just wait till they up our bill and these things are on basic. Infinitely more people have basic than have the sports tiers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah they discreetly put a note on my last bill saying they were raising the price to 9.95 and I only watch the Redzone channel. They just need to put that and NFL Network on regular cable and they can take away BET and Lifetime.

I actually think at some point a service provider is going to offer channels a la carte. Most people only really watch a few channels and it would be a way to get a higher profit by charging more to that customer for that channel while paying less to the networks themselves and lowering people's overall bill.

I actually think at some point a service provider is going to offer channels a la carte. Most people only really watch a few channels and it would be a way to get a higher profit by charging more to that customer for that channel while paying less to the networks themselves and lowering people's overall bill.
This is supposed next step...not far off...where ala carte purchase of cable network programming will be the wave of the future...like fairly soon. If this is so, then what a few of the conferences are doing may infact be the wrong way to go...why does a person living in Syracuse, NY care about a B1G game between Iowa and Nebraska?

This is supposed next step...not far off...where ala carte purchase of cable network programming will be the wave of the future...like fairly soon. If this is so, then what a few of the conferences are doing may infact be the wrong way to go...why does a person living in Syracuse, NY care about a B1G game between Iowa and Nebraska?

Exactly it would put the emphasis back on brand instead of location

The other big trend that may rebound adversely for the BTN, PCN and other proposed conference networks is the move of the younger generation away from cable TV to digital devices. My 19 and 22 year old daughters no longer watch any television. It's all online entertainment. Big deal, you might be saying, those girls probably never watched sports TV to begin with except for maybe tennis or soccer. You would be right in that, but the problem is that many of their male friends have also ditched the televisions. Although I'm not really familiar enough to with the various digital alternatives to discuss this issue knowledgably, it doesn't appear that this is good news for the cable TV companies and college football conferences who have invested, or will be investing, heavily in cable networks.

I will be very interested to see how the reported Apple TV changes the industry. There is room for innovation in this space as they have been using the same model for decades

While your total viewing bill may go down a bit, your actual cost per channel will go up. So far that's to be expected. However, don't be surprised if ESPN is only available in a package with ABC Family and the Disney Channel. The same games that content providers play with service providers/aggregators may now be played with individual subscribers as well.

If Congress were to regulate content providers as well, don't be surprised if the price of each ESPN channel is ridiculously expensive. Also, expect some of your favorite niche channels to simply disappear.

If they all price themselves out of the market then so be it. the older i get the more i can live without television.

The $182 a month I pay right now for the TWC triple play is almost to my threshold of just not paying it anymore.

i'll go back to listening to games on the radio if i have to and every TV show I watch I can also view for free on the internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom