Investigation finds suspected match fixing in 680 soccer games | Syracusefan.com

Investigation finds suspected match fixing in 680 soccer games

ROCcuse

2nd String
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/s...pected-fixing-in-680-soccer-matches.html?_r=0

some bullet points
- At least 425 people from more than 15 countries — including club and match officials, and current and former players — are suspected of conspiring in nearly 700 matches in recent years on behalf of Asian criminal syndicates that made millions of dollars in profits by betting on the results

- matches included qualifying games for the World Cup and for the European Cup, and two Champions League matches, including one in England

- country with the most cases identified by Europol was Turkey, with 79. Germany was next with 70, followed by Switzerland with 41.

I would LOVE to have a list of players and officials that are known to have participated in this. Not sure we'll ever get it though.

I'm sure about 75% of the matches in question involve teams from Eastern Europe.

Match fixing doesn't necessarily involve the actual result being dubious. Most of it probably involves a single player acting to influence the outcome of a prop bet (first yellow card of the game, number of corners, etc.).

I'm sure about 75% of the matches in question involve teams from Eastern Europe.

Match fixing doesn't necessarily involve the actual result being dubious. Most of it probably involves a single player acting to influence the outcome of a prop bet (first yellow card of the game, number of corners, etc.).

I read a book about match fixing in soccer, and I think I have to disagree. In general, you usually can't bet that much on props to really make fixing a prop all that worthwhile. (At least in the US)

In general, you usually can't bet that much on props to really make fixing a prop all that worthwhile. (At least in the US)

Unless you are Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz threw down a couple mill for her prolonged national anthem...