Iroquois Snubbed from 2022 World Games | Syracusefan.com

Iroquois Snubbed from 2022 World Games

Dumb. I’m sure they wouldn’t want to but could they play for the US or Canada? Or are they totally blacked out ?

Playing for the US or Canada goes against everything they stand for.
I get it. Just asking theoretically, if the Haudenosaunee nation isn’t being recognized are they men without a country in these association’s minds?

I get it. Just asking theoretically, if the Haudenosaunee nation isn’t being recognized are they men without a country in these association’s minds?

This is the first year that LAX has been included in these games. By not inviting the 3rd best team in the world, they're not off to a good start.

The ultimate goal is to get LAX approved as an Olympic Sport for 2028. These World games would be a dry run.

Can anyone name the countries that are in the tournament besides the US and Canada? What a foolish public relations move in my opinion. Let them play!

Every sport is different.

Here is a medal chart from 2017. Looks like all the usual suspects...

2017 was the 1st time Women's LAX was included. USA, Canada, Australia, GBR, Japan, Poland (host nation).

Looks like only 8 Men's teams will be invited for 2022.

are the world games different than the world lacrosse championship, or did the lacrosse championship get moved under the world games umbrella, for lack of better words?

edit: so i looked it up and it appears the world games is different than the lacrosse championship. is lacrosse using the world games as a venue to get into the olympics? on a side note, there are so unique sports at the world games

edit 2: looks like lacrosse is using the world lacrosse championship in 2023 as a venue to get into the olympics, so what are the world games?

are the world games different than the world lacrosse championship, or did the lacrosse championship get moved under the world games umbrella, for lack of better words?

edit: so i looked it up and it appears the world games is different than the lacrosse championship. is lacrosse using the world games as a venue to get into the olympics? on a side note, there are so unique sports at the world games

edit 2: looks like lacrosse is using the world lacrosse championship in 2023 as a venue to get into the olympics, so what are the world games?
Based on the statement by World Lacrosse, it is totally different and when the World Lacrosse Championships are played again the Iroquois Nationals will be one of the participating teams there.

Based on the statement by World Lacrosse, it is totally different and when the World Lacrosse Championships are played again the Iroquois Nationals will be one of the participating teams there.

The World University Games are a qualifier for the Olympics. If the Iroquois aren't allowed to play in 2022, they won't qualify for Olympic play.

Totally different than the World LAX Championships (FIL) that the Iroquois play in every 4 years.

Last edited:
Governing bodies should simply get together and grandfathered the inclusion of Iroquois in all international lacrosse games out of respect and recognition that they started sport. Granting such would put this to rest and avoid future issues pertaining to criteria and eligibility.

I still don't understand why lacrosse needs to get into the Olympics to begin with. If the rules have to change and you can't include the Haudenosaunee, why are we, as a sport, doing this? If it is really about "growing the game" then it is on the FIL group to actually do some work in promoting the world championships every 4 years. The last championship was a mess and I couldn't even find accurate rosters for most of the teams, let alone any information about them. In my mind, No Iroquois Nationals, No Olympic lacrosse.

I don’t know much about lacrosse but as a causal fan if the Iroquois can’t play in the olympics I wouldn’t watch

Lyle Thompson wrote this yesterday...
Screenshot_20200725-142941_Facebook.jpg

So this is the same old story, different time in history.
Us, as native people will continue to run this ever lasting track of hurdles.
it’s timeless and exhausting but we must continue to fight.
—The colonizers don’t want Indigenous people to be native. Want us to be Canadian/American and history have proven that. Residential schools, blood quantum’s, passports, ect., the list goes on.
they don’t want to acknowledge us for who we are.
And it’s indigenous land AGAIN..
I know I sound furious and that’s because I am.
This is all beside the fact that we’re talking lacrosse-our medicine game- the creators game, as in for all of creation to play. Time and time again my people have welcomed you all (American/Canadians/ European) into our culture into our home land only to have it exploited.

I also think it is really important for people to understand this.

The FIL has changed its name to the World Lacrosse. They are not a part of the Olympic Committee or Olympic rules.
The 2022 Lacrosse Competition Games in Birmingham Alabama are a qualifier (as a sport) under the direction of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)
For the Olympic Games.
The make up of the IOC board is obviously not doubting our skills (Iroquois Nationals rank as One of the top 3 Teams best in lacrosse in the world.)
It can’t be our history( they already grandfathered us in and we have competed since 1990.
So they are essentially denying us our identity as a sovereign people. Again they are throwing our treaty’s in the trash.

When we talk medicine game we can’t ignore that the result of this medicine is unity, equity, and respect. And i want to see the world feel that, but I want our children to be there playing. I look forward to the day our children can climb this ladder and reach new heights and go to the olympics to do one of the many things we do best. Play.

How do people in an organization attempting to govern/support lacrosse screw this up so profoundly?

If lacrosse becomes an Olympic sport without the Iroquois eligible to play then the value of that gold medal is worthless.

It’d be the modern equivalent of a basketball gold medal before the US was allowed to send our pros.

Sure our college kids competed against other pros (and won) but we weren’t sending our best against their best.

I’m assuming lacrosse in the Olympics would allow professional players because I can’t imagine many teams (outside of US, Canada & the Iroquois) fielding a full roster of amateurs.

Wait until you see what the proposed Olympic rules are:
  • The field is 70 meters by 36 meters (as opposed to 100m x 55m)
  • Games are four 8:00-running time quarters
  • The shot clock is 45 seconds
  • Face-offs/draws only begin quarters; play is restarted immediately after goals.
  • Missed shots are turnovers regardless of who’s closest to the ball
  • No longsticks
  • Teams are 7 v 7 (as opposed to 10 v 10)
  • Offensive sets are either 4 v 4 or 5 v 5 (as opposed to 6 v 6)

I don’t understand this, it’s their sport. So dumb. The only reason I would even tune in to watch this event is to watch the Iroqoius. Now forget it.
It's not the lacrosse world championships, it's something else entirely. The lacrosse governing body has reiterated that the Iroquois are full members in good standing of the lacrosse governing body and will again be invited to play in the next world championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom