Is anyone else nervous that... | Syracusefan.com

Is anyone else nervous that...

mgurtz79

Walk On
we only have three guards for next year, only two that have played and only one with real crunch time experience? If Triche were to get injured (or if he plays the disappearing game) we would be screwed.

If any one of those guys gets hurt there is no safety net and as much as size wise Fair/Southerland would be interesting at the top of the zone, I think teams could really put heavy pressure and force a high number of turnovers.

Is there any chance that we go after an unknown JUCO ala Kristoff a few years ago when we needed a big guy?

I am losing sleep over it, very nervous, because we played 4 guards so much in meaningful games this year. Isn't Mookie coming back?

I'm only concerned in regards to the possibility of injuries. If noone gets hurt we'll be fine. Carter will play at the 1, Triche will start at the 2 and shift to the 1 when Carter sits, and Cooney will be the 2 off of the bench.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us try some of James or CJ at the two for a few minutes once we get Noel. Just a few reasons why.

1. James and CJ are a Jr and a Senior JB likes leadership.
2. They are better defenders then KJO and KJO got some time at the two a few years ago.
3.We have passing bigs in DC and Noel. MCW is maybe the best passeing point in the country.
4. James and CJ both have a good jumper to knock down jumpshots.
5.. James and CJ are athletic on back door cuts off the ball.
6. James and CJ both have a pretty good basketball IQ. Southerland rarely turns the ball over.
7. It makes the zone longer and Noel and Rak will cheat up some anyay while still rebounding. Can't wait to see Noel and Rak on the floor together on D.
8. CJ will have some post up game as a SF even more as a SG with James on the perimeter.
9. Grant looks pretty darn good already.
10. We lose all three of our isolation players. Good movement without the ball with mismatches attacking the rim, will help aid isolation. Especially when jumpers aren't falling. It creates less pressure from defense and easier inside baskets.
11. Teams are going to go with smaller lineups here and there. We can go with a two forward and 2 Big lineup. Giving us advantages at the two and the three in the paint. And we will already have DC2 and Noel.
12. I think we are more likely to see offense out of the high then low post making height attacking the basket more usable. Think back to Wes in the butler game. It was one of the two offensive weapons we had all game. And it opened up Andys three pointers more. Infact not sticking to Wes in the post might have cost us the game.
13. Our bigs are in great shape to play 30 minutes and it would give our guards a breather for defensive purposes.
14. CJ and James can tend to be scrappy ball players.

Realistically, I think we could hang with anyone with a lineup of Triche/MCW at the point, CJ, James, Rak, Noel. Infact it could have a shot of being our best lineup.

The only downside is dribble penetration as a SG and sliding defense.
We will have to see though because that Triche guy is pretty good and Cooney might blow a couple of minds next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us try some of James or CJ at the two for a few minutes once we get Noel. Just a few reasons why.

1. James and CJ are a Jr and a Senior JB likes leadership.
2. They are better defenders then KJO and KJO got some time at the two a few years ago.
3.We have passing bigs in DC and Noel. MCW is maybe the best passeing point in the country.
4. James and CJ both have a good jumper to knock down jumpshots.
5.. James and CJ are athletic on back door cuts off the ball.
6. James and CJ both have a pretty good basketball IQ. Southerland rarely turns the ball over.
7. It makes the zone longer and Noel and Rak will cheat up some anyay while still rebounding. Can't wait to see Noel and Rak on the floor together on D.
8. CJ will have some post up game as a SF even more as a SG with James on the perimeter.
9. Grant looks pretty darn good already.
10. We lose all three of our isolation players. Good movement without the ball with mismatches attacking the rim, will help aid isolation. Especially when jumpers aren't falling. It creates less pressure from defense and easier inside baskets.
11. Teams are going to go with smaller lineups here and there. We can go with a two forward and 2 Big lineup. Giving us advantages at the two and the three in the paint. And we will already have DC2 and Noel.
12. I think we are more likely to see offense out of the high then low post making height attacking the basket more usable. Think back to Wes in the butler game. It was one of the two offensive weapons we had all game. And it opened up Andys three pointers more. Infact not sticking to Wes in the post might have cost us the game.
13. Our bigs are in great shape to play 30 minutes and it would give our guards a breather for defensive purposes.
14. CJ and James can tend to be scrappy ball players.

Realistically, I think we could hang with anyone with a lineup of Triche/MCW at the point, CJ, James, Rak, Noel. Infact it could have a shot of being our best lineup.

The only downside is dribble penetration as a SG and sliding defense.
We will have to see though because that Triche guy is pretty good and Cooney might blow a couple of minds next year.

Actually the major downfall is Fair and Southerland cannot handle the ball (assuming they don't improve greatly) very well and any form of ball pressure would cause serious problems. A good defensive team (like South Florida this year) would have a field day on defense with that lineup.

Grant has seemed like he's been a capable ball handler, right? If a scenario were to happen where one of the guards got hurt (please God no), then I think I would be pretty comfortable with him handling the ball if need be.

Grant has seemed like he's been a capable ball handler, right? If a scenario were to happen where one of the guards got hurt (please God no), then I think I would be pretty comfortable with him handling the ball if need be.

He is listed as a PF by some services so I don't think he is someone I would count on

I'd be mostly ok with CJ handling the ball a little. I don't think he's any (or at least much) worse than Kris.

Southy @ the 2 would be fun if for no other reason than watching teams play against our zone when the SU line up goes
6'5 / 6'8
6'9/ 6'11 / 6'8

MCW can handle the ball and he or Southy can chuck 3's on offense while everyone else attacks the glass.

we only have three guards for next year, only two that have played and only one with real crunch time experience? If Triche were to get injured (or if he plays the disappearing game) we would be screwed.

If any one of those guys gets hurt there is no safety net and as much as size wise Fair/Southerland would be interesting at the top of the zone, I think teams could really put heavy pressure and force a high number of turnovers.

Is there any chance that we go after an unknown JUCO ala Kristoff a few years ago when we needed a big guy?
remember 2003, that was cool

I'd be mostly ok with CJ handling the ball a little. I don't think he's any (or at least much) worse than Kris.

Agree all we have to do is get by the press in that lineup which I believe MCW will be good at.

Noel and Coleman both have a high post game and are better dribblers then Rak and Keita.
On top of that CJ/James would have no trouble sealing off at the two and the three.
Neither would DC. That leaves three guys that can seal off and catch a pass.
When 2-3 of your players have some isolation and don't have trouble sealing off their defender at the same time you don't need dribble penetration to pass the ball around.

Both CJ and James have a nice midrange jumper also.
Heck we could run all four of our bigs(counting CJ and James) in and out of the high low post in that lineup and get closer shots at will.

Mookie is reportedly coming back and will provide a very experienced fourth guard, and I only half-jokingly mention Nolan Hart . . . he'll fill Brandon Reese's shoes as the deep emergency guard . . . Hart was really good coming out of high school and probably could have played D2, maybe even low D1, and he now has 2 years of experience with the system.

He is listed as a PF by some services so I don't think he is someone I would count on

He has run the point-forward position for his high school team a little bit in the few games I have watched of his though.

Vaguely at this point. Did Duany spend more time at the 2 or at the 3 that season?
I meant more in the sense that we had one senior guard and 2 and a half inexperienced guards

I meant more in the sense that we had one senior guard and 2 and a half inexperienced guards

Fair enough. I just can't for the life of me remember where Kueth Duany played most of the time. I know he was huge for us but can't remember if he played more at the 2 or the 3.

Fair enough. I just can't for the life of me remember where Kueth Duany played most of the time. I know he was huge for us but can't remember if he played more at the 2 or the 3.
if I recall correctly he played mostly at the 2

Duany played 2 or 3 his first two years as a reserve. His junior year, he played a ton at the 4 [believe it or not], since we had no size--often alongside Preston Shumpert. Played exclusively at 2 his senior year pretty much.

if I recall correctly he played mostly at the 2

I thought that as well but then didn't Edelin and Mcnamara play together a fair amount? I recall him playing the 3 a bit too but then Carmelo would be at the 4 so thus the confusion or was Melo technically the 4 on defense? Duany and to a bit smaller extent Pace were the glue guys on that seemed to play wherever that year.

Edit ~ wait Hak was at the 4

Duany played 2 or 3 his first two years as a reserve. His junior year, he played a ton at the 4 [believe it or not], since we had no size--often alongside Preston Shumpert. Played exclusively at 2 his senior year pretty much.

Got it. Starting lineup was Mcnamara, Duany, Melo, Hak, Forth w/ Edelin, Pace, and McNeil off the bench. For whatever reason I thought Edelin was the starting PG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom