Is Huggy the new BCTNWAC? Howland? | Syracusefan.com

Is Huggy the new BCTNWAC? Howland?

PoppyHart

All American
That is, Best Coach to Never Win a Championship.

Off the top of my head the following active coaches have multiple FF appearances, which is a good cut off point for this "honor", though not necessarily dispositive:

1. Howland (3)
2. Huggins (2)
2. Matta (2)
2. Stevens (2)

Calapari

imgres
imgres

128686742566001011.jpg

Probably Huggy, who also could end up passing both JB and JC on the all time wins list

Also consider these guys who don't make your list because they haven't been to multiple (or any) Final Fours:
Bo Ryan, unless you count his Division III titles
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
hate to say it because the guy is a Grade A , but Jamie Dixon

Vacated within 2 years. Lock it up !!!

Ok.. so your saying that when (if) his title is vacated, that he would be your pick for "best coach that has never won a championship"?

Huggy as far as longevity. All the other obvious choices (Ryan, Dixon, Howland, Matta) are still pretty young guys. Plus I think he's better than a lot of the coaches who have managed to win a title.

I'd go Huggy or Matta. For some reason, I always liked Huggybear.

I'd go Huggy or Matta. For some reason, I always liked Huggybear.

I've never understood the disdain some have for him. I loved his first season at WVU when he won with Belein's players and got those guys, who were specifically recruited to play Belein's system, to play his style of basketball. I thought was one of the best overall coaching jobs I've ever seen.

Going to miss playing against his teams. Calhoun, Boeheim, Pitino and Huggins - I doubt any conference has had four coaches as great as those guys at the peak of their careers at the same time.

Going to miss playing against his teams. Calhoun, Boeheim, Pitino and Huggins - I doubt any conference has had four coaches as great as those guys at the peak of their careers at the same time.

+1. Gotta love the Big East for it's coaches.

Hell, you can also go back to the era of JT, JB, Rollie, Lou Carnesecca, Barnes/Pitino, PJ Carlesimo, Jim Calhoun... it was a veritable treasure trove of coaches back in the day!

I do think the BE had the greatest group back in the day.
But...1980's ACC had quite a cast including:
K...Dean...Lefty...Valvano...Bobby Cremins...Terry Holland...

I do think the BE had the greatest group back in the day.
But...1980's ACC had quite a cast including:
K...Dean...Lefty...Valvano...Bobby Cremins...Terry Holland...
Cremiins and holland don't belong in the conversation. Not that they were bad, but just not elite elite.

Probably Huggy, who also could end up passing both JB and JC on the all time wins list

Also consider these guys who don't make your list because they haven't been to multiple (or any) Final Fours:
Bo Ryan, unless you count his Division III titles
Mark Few
Rick Barnes
hate to say it because the guy is a Grade A , but Jamie Dixon

Rick Barnes?

Mike Montgomery...he's at 630+ wins with at least one Final Four appearance.