Is it reasonable to call ourselves a fringe 2019 CFP contender?

I have been thinking a lot about 2019 expectations since the Camping World Bowl, and going into next year the only game that we will not be favored in the preseason to win will be Clemson. With the result of the Clemson games the last two years, I wouldn't suspect that we will be a massive underdog in that game either. There's a small part of me that sees the potential for everything to break right, and for us to make the CFP either as a 1 loss ACC champion or an unbeaten one. I want to ask you all straight up, is that remotely reasonable? To be clear, I am NOT saying my expectation is 12-0. At this point I think my expectation is 9-3/10-2 for 2019. My question is more to do with whether it's reasonable to think of making the CFP and potentially winning it all as possible.

If it is reasonable, it's the first time that's been the case since I have been a fan, and that is very exciting.

Think any team with aspirations for and evidence of 10 wins is in the conversation.

For perspective, it appeared that the lowest ranked P5 team with 10 wins at the end of the season was us at 15. The lowest ranked team with 11 wins was 10.

Essentially if you can win double digits regular season, you are in the top ten and thus in the conversation for the playoff.

This is not at all to say that winning 10 games makes you an actual contender but it means that you had a season where if you got one or two breaks then you could be the 11-12 win team that makes it.

That is exactly where I see us. As long as Tommy is what most of us think he is, and we have decent health, then my expectation for this season is 8-10 regular season wins. That means we just need one more win to be in the final conversation.

Chip

Living Legend
Of course. We're a way too early Top 15 team.

Some talented parts need to come together at the skill positions, and our tackles on both sides have to hold up, but sure.

Better to need talented players coming together than needing untalented players to play above their abilities.

HtownOrange

All American
somehow coming off a 4 win season we were a contender.
The instant improvement from 4 wins to 10 wins proves what we all suspected, that is, we had the coach, the system, the heart, even some victories over elite teams but lacked the depth/talent to overcome the injuries/attrition that is a byproduct of D1 CFB.

I don't see HCDB looking back, I expect a minimum of 8 wins next fall (assuming no too many injuries) but could see a double digit win season and even contending with a couple breaks.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
I don’t think we are going to be a CFB playoff team next year but definitely if we are the 2nd highest ACC team we would be in the NY6.
It is a process for all programs.
2012 Clemson went 10-2 won the Peach Bowl over LSU
2013 10-2 Orange Bowl over Ohio State
Then they went have won 4 ACC titles in a row.

I would take 10-2 next year and the Orange Bowl.
Continue the momentum and get the recruiting/talent on the upswing.

TerryD

Scout Team
I think that Syracuse is a contender for the 2019 playoffs.

In a number of ways, Syracuse mirrors ND.

The Irish were 4-8 in 2016, then went 10-3 in 2017 with a Camping World Bowl win against LSU.

The next season, the Irish went 12-0. Syracuse could well do the same.

upperdeck

Living Legend
really its all in the schedule.. catch Clemson while we are still ahead of the game and win and we are a contender. 12-1, with a clemson win and ACC title puts you in the mix. thats all you can ask.

the odds of using doing that are low, but still we dont have to beat 3-5 really good teams, probably no more than 1-2.

ND will not run the table again, its too hard.. the numbers show Clemson is unlikely too as well.

I don’t think we are going to be a CFB playoff team next year but definitely if we are the 2nd highest ACC team we would be in the NY6.
It is a process for all programs.
2012 Clemson went 10-2 won the Peach Bowl over LSU
2013 10-2 Orange Bowl over Ohio State
Then they went have won 4 ACC titles in a row.

I would take 10-2 next year and the Orange Bowl.
Continue the momentum and get the recruiting/talent on the upswing.
Agreed. Our O line will be average at best, we will miss the Dungey scramble on 3rd and 8. It seems nobody wants to talk about lines, but Lawrence never got touched from bamas front 4, that's damn impressive. We're not there yet.

Alsacs

I am statboy because I use stats to form opinions
Agreed. Our O line will be average at best, we will miss the Dungey scramble on 3rd and 8. It seems nobody wants to talk about lines, but Lawrence never got touched from bamas front 4, that's damn impressive. We're not there yet.
I think Dino is a good enough HC to get us a conference title and basically if you win your conference title you are a contender for the CFB playoffs.
I just don’t expect right away. We clearly have the HC to get it done though.

omniorange

All Conference
Yes, it is reasonable and as another poster said, it certainly isn't unreasonable.

I am measuring things against Brile's Baylor teams since we seem to be on a similar trajectory. And just as we skipped over Brile's third outing and this season had a similar year that Baylor had in his fourth year at the school, I am hoping next year we skip past his fifth year showing of 8-5 and go directly to a similar showing to Brile's sixth season there, which finished 11-2, 8-1 in conference, and went to the B12's contract Fiesta Bowl but lost to UCF there. Baylor's best season was the following year and they were serious contenders for the CFP most of that season. Their key loss that year was at a 7-6 West Virginia, so you can understand that I am dreading the @Pitt game in 2020. :mad:

Cheers,
Neil

JoeSU

All Conference
Thinking back to last year at this time, it's interesting to think about how high our expectations have risen.

Shenexon

All Conference
I expect we’re going to be more competitive on a consistent basis in 2019, with the team needing to win several clutch games to approach the same record, and would really need to come together as a team to get in the 2020 bowls. Much will be on TD to run the offense and to deliver in the clutch. He’s got the potential but we may have to be patient and hope others step up on offense and defense to create some team wins. It sure looks to be a fun year with room for optimism...

care taker

'Penciled in' starter
Our schedule is favorable
Our passing game will be better
Our running game will be better
Our secondary will be better
Special teams the same
Coaching will be better
Dome will be louder
We need health and the all important Lady Luck !!
And we have confidence and a belief with evidence!!
We can win 11 !

GoSU96

Living Legend
really its all in the schedule.. catch Clemson while we are still ahead of the game and win and we are a contender. 12-1, with a clemson win and ACC title puts you in the mix. thats all you can ask.

the odds of using doing that are low, but still we dont have to beat 3-5 really good teams, probably no more than 1-2.

ND will not run the table again, its too hard.. the numbers show Clemson is unlikely too as well.
A one loss SU is not in the mix

Pearl309

All American
If we finish with one loss that is a head scratcher and win the acc, with Clemson also finishing with one loss to us, we have a 0.0% chance.
Clemson would need to lose to us and also to a&m
Lock in ‘bama and/or Georgia, then also lock in ND/Ohio state/Michigan/Washington/Wisconsin/Oklahoma/Texas/Oregon.
The math just won’t be on our side, then again, Nick Foles won a Super Bowl so who knows

sdhall01

2018 Cali Winner: Sacks
Not reasonable. I think SU can be a solid top 15 team but not a title contender.**

**Talk to me after SU plays Clemson.
This is my attitude. I think we could be a real top 15 team with NY6 aspirations. However, all bets are off if we beat Clemson.

Frozen

All American
Our schedule is favorable
Our passing game will be better
Our running game will be better
Our secondary will be better
Special teams the same
Coaching will be better
Dome will be louder
We need health and the all important Lady Luck !!
And we have confidence and a belief with evidence!!
We can win 11 !
Also, we’re going to have an Eye-talian starting quarterback, which can’t hurt.

If we can get a few elite grad transfers to come in and patch up some holes and solidify the roster then yea, why the F not.

Top Bottom