Is it time to go to DEFCON 1?? | Syracusefan.com

Is it time to go to DEFCON 1??

Letter for change?

• Total voters

thenug211

Walk On
I believe that this board is probably a cross section of the most die hard and loyal SU fans. I think that even many of the most loyal “JAB can do nothing wrong folks” are seeing the hard truth at this point... that the program has been floundering for years and things aren’t getting better.

I am curious are the people on this board who are stakeholders in the university and the program via things like season tickets, financial donors,Orange Club even Alums...are you ready to pull the plug
If Wildhack doesn’t make a change? Have we crossed the rubicon??

In your opinion, how would a respectful letter to
The administration imploring change be received if
Stakeholders are willing to withdraw financial support? Has JB earned the right to burn it to the ground on the way out?

JAB was a great coach...past tense. I struggle with this my heart is losing to my head.

I love the post title :) However, I can't see this poll staying up. Not cool. I have my opinion, but will not vote.

JB has earned the right to leave when he decides. He can be "coaxed" but w/ his stubbornness, that will likely make things worse. However, once Buddy is done- all bets are off.
That’s probably the right answer.

JB has earned the right to leave when he decides. He can be "coaxed" but w/ his stubbornness, that will likely make things worse. However, once Buddy is done- all bets are off.

I have read that opening sentence countless times here over the past decade. And I still have no clue what it means.

I am not saying the original poster is over-dramatic, but here are two handy definitions for those who may not be familiar with his choice of words. Somehow, I don't think college basketball is the equivalent of nuclear war -- or the rise of Julius Caesar

DEFCON 1 would only happen when nuclear war is imminent, or if there is a severe threat against the US or if a missile is coming towards us. Basically, DEFCON 1 means that the US is completely ready for anything, it means that nuclear war is going to happen.

The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" refers to any individual or group committing itself irrevocably to a risky or revolutionary course of action. (Julius Caesar's crossing the Rubicon river on January 10, 49 BC precipitated the Roman Civil War, which ultimately led to Caesar's becoming dictator and the rise of the imperial era of Rome).

Last edited:
I am not saying the original poster is over-dramatic, but here are two handy definitions for those who may not be familiar with his choice of words. Somehow, I don't think college basketball is the equivalent of nuclear war -- or the rise of Julius Caesar

DEFCON 1 would only happen when nuclear war is imminent, or if there is a severe threat against the US or if a missile is coming towards us. Basically, DEFCON 1 means that the US is completely ready for anything, it means that nuclear war is going to happen.

The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" refers to any individual or group committing itself irrevocably to a risky or revolutionary course of action. (Julius Caesar's crossing the Rubicon river on January 10, 49 BC precipitated the Roman Civil War, which ultimately led to Caesar's becoming dictator and the rise of the imperial era of Rome.
Thoughts on today's game?

I have read that opening sentence countless times here over the past decade. And I still have no clue what it means.
I'll try to explain. It means that after 40+ years of building this program and taking it to tremendous heights, while simultaneously becoming the very face of said program, that he has at the very least "earned the right", not to mention respect, consideration, courtesy, to call his own shot.
Again, that's a theoretical perspective that can be adjusted, should we go 7-23 or something calamitous like that. But as of right now, he has in fact earned that right. JMHO

It's like Bobby Bowden. FSU could not figure out the correct way to get rid of him and they suffered for years because of it. We cannot figure out how to.get rid of JB and are suffering through our 7th consecutive mediocre regular season. The miracle NCAA runs in 16 and 18 are camouflaging it and were a band aid and obscured the reality of the situation.

In your opinion, how would a respectful letter to The administration imploring change be received if Stakeholders are willing to withdraw financial support? Has JB earned the right to burn it to the ground on the way out?
It would be received with a polite, non-committal stock response, thanking you for you interest in Syracuse sports.

And then tossed in the shredder.
1610840492999.gif

It's like Bobby Bowden. FSU could not figure out the correct way to get rid of him and they suffered for years because of it. We cannot figure out how to.get rid of JB and are suffering through our 7th consecutive mediocre regular season. The miracle NCAA runs in 16 and 18 are camouflaging it and were a band aid and obscured the reality of the situation.
Those 6 wins are what the true believers are hanging onto. They ignore that we were not good for 30+ games those seasons.

I believe that this board is probably a cross section of the most die hard and loyal SU fans. I think that even many of the most loyal “JAB can do nothing wrong folks” are seeing the hard truth at this point... that the program has been floundering for years and things aren’t getting better.

I am curious are the people on this board who are stakeholders in the university and the program via things like season tickets, financial donors,Orange Club even Alums...are you ready to pull the plug
If Wildhack doesn’t make a change? Have we crossed the rubicon??

In your opinion, how would a respectful letter to
The administration imploring change be received if
Stakeholders are willing to withdraw financial support? Has JB earned the right to burn it to the ground on the way out?

JAB was a great coach...past tense. I struggle with this my heart is losing to my head.

I liked your metaphors. Don’t listen to the (pedantic) haters.

I totally understand many folks here are very upset at not only today's game but the last several games. However I do not see any need to run a poll to promote running JB off. This is a tough year for many reasons out of his and many other coaches control. Two 14 day COVID quarantines,, only 4 minutes in the first game with your starting center, on top of a raw set of center backups. Yes there are things that could be done differently but anyone that believes JB is not trying to win is totally out of touch with reality. Am I at about wits end with this team - yes, but let's give them positive support and stop trying to undermine the entire season. If nothing else, this is good therapy for me.

Lets Go Orange!

I totally understand many folks here are very upset at not only today's game but the last several games. However I do not see any need to run a poll to promote running JB off. This is a tough year for many reasons out of his and many other coaches control. Two 14 day COVID quarantines,, only 4 minutes in the first game with your starting center, on top of a raw set of center backups. Yes there are things that could be done differently but anyone that believes JB is not trying to win is totally out of touch with reality. Am I at about wits end with this team - yes, but let's give them positive support and stop trying to undermine the entire season. If nothing else, this is good therapy for me.

Lets Go Orange!
Pitt hasn't played since the last time they played us.

Pitt hasn't played since the last time they played us.
I hear you but that is their problem, not ours! On top of it, this was the best thing that could happen to Pitt to give their injured player time to recover. He really burned us today!

Lets Go Orange!

I don’t think anyone thinks JB is trying to tank the season. I think people are rightly questioning his use of Buddy and Joe as the two primary guards. Kadary isn’t going to get better sitting on the bench. He showed his promise when Buddy was out with COVID and needs time on the floor to grow without worrying about betting Boeheimed. And, FWIW, all teams are dealing with the virus, so that excuse doesn’t hold water. As far as ‘undermining the entire season’, well, welcome to the Syracusefan board :)

I'm surprised we don't get sued by the ACC for bait and switch (literalists take note, that was sarcasm). When we came on board they thought they were "buying" a powerhouse program from the Big East and what they got was whatever you want to call how we have been playing over the past few years . . . what I would categorize as mediocre and still slip sliding away. It's a damn shame.

I hear you but that is their problem, not ours! On top of it, this was the best thing that could happen to Pitt to give their injured player time to recover. He really burned us today!
He came back weeks early from a serious injury! We can’t get our offensively challenged center back from arthritis

The phrase "crossing the Rubicon" refers to any individual or group committing itself irrevocably to a risky or revolutionary course of action. (Julius Caesar's crossing the Rubicon river on January 10, 49 BC precipitated the Roman Civil War, which ultimately led to Caesar's becoming dictator and the rise of the imperial era of Rome).
Now granted, I wasn't an English major at SU, but I seem to recall literary devices like metaphors and idioms to be useful for drawing comparisons between things that, while not exactly alike, share similar themes or characteristics. Not for declaring them to be exact equivalents. Surely the original poster wasn't suggesting that college basketball fortunes are equal in gravity to nuclear war. Given the state of things as of late, and judging by sentiments on this board and heard amongst Syracuse fans in general, I don't think his word choice was wrong or inappropriate.

Now granted, I wasn't an English major at SU, but I seem to recall literary devices like metaphors and idioms to be useful for drawing comparisons between things that, while not exactly alike, share similar themes or characteristics. Not for declaring them to be exact equivalents. Surely the original poster wasn't suggesting that college basketball fortunes are equal in gravity to nuclear war. Given the state of things as of late, and judging by sentiments on this board and heard amongst Syracuse fans in general, I don't think his word choice was wrong or inappropriate.

It’s just going to get worse!

I'll try to explain. It means that after 40+ years of building this program and taking it to tremendous heights, while simultaneously becoming the very face of said program, that he has at the very least "earned the right", not to mention respect, consideration, courtesy, to call his own shot.
Again, that's a theoretical perspective that can be adjusted, should we go 7-23 or something calamitous like that. But as of right now, he has in fact earned that right. JMHO

You are allowed to think this. Many do. But there comes a time when everyone needs to step aside. For JB, that was supposed to be after the 2017 season.

Obviously the whole Defcon 1 thing is a bit much. But the Rubicon thing has a ring of accuracy about it. Who is going to play Brutus? Likely no one.

It would be received with a polite, non-committal stock response, thanking you for you interest in Syracuse sports.

And then tossed in the shredder. View attachment 194780
i agree that is most likely the response, unless ”shareholders” meant what they said and hit the university where it hurts most...in the wallet.