is Jesse a closet PG?! | Syracusefan.com

is Jesse a closet PG?!

Red Holzman

Starter
Jesse has attempted (and failed) some flashy "PG passes" and ball handling this season.
Last night he attempted his first 3 (with success!).

I remain intrigued by that 3 -Jesse had to force it due to the shot clock, but shot it confidently.
And stroke looked good!
-much better than many of the wild shots Jesse creates for himself around the basket.

What's the story -was that 3 pure luck?
The stroke was so nice that I thought it was going in as soon as Jesse released it.
His shots around the basket can look so awkward -but Jesse looked comfortable shooting that 3!

Green light to launch a few more when strategy requires drawing an opposing big away from the basket?
May be crazy -but how fun would that be to see Jesse swish a few more off those!

If he could shoot them consistently, he would show it in practice. If he showed it in practice, he’d have the green light to shoot them.

We knew his form was good because he’s a good free throw shooter. No reason to change it for a three.

‘Luck’ probably isn’t the right word, but I doubt we’re going to, nor should we, scheme 3’s for Jesse because he made one in a game.

If he could shoot them consistently, he would show it in practice. If he showed it in practice, he’d have the green light to shoot them.

We knew his form was good because he’s a good free throw shooter. No reason to change it for a three.

‘Luck’ probably isn’t the right word, but I doubt we’re going to, nor should we, scheme 3’s for Jesse because he made one in a game.

Jesse has attempted (and failed) some flashy "PG passes" and ball handling this season.

I remain intrigued by that 3 -Jesse had to force it due to the shot clock, but shot it confidently.
And stroke looked good!
-much better than many of the wild shots Jesse creates for himself around the basket.

The stroke was so nice that I thought it was going in as soon as Jesse released it.
His shots around the basket can look so awkward -but Jesse looked comfortable shooting that 3!

Green light to launch a few more when strategy requires drawing an opposing big away from the basket?
May be crazy -but how fun would that be to see Jesse swish a few more off those!
Jesse is not always the center. When he was a young player, he was short and a guard.

Jesse is not always the center. When he was a young player, he was short and a guard.
Now Jesse is tall -and a guard?
As noted, that 3 looked a lot more natural than some of the stuff Jesse creates around the basket.

As a fan, Winning Basketball is Priority 1, with Entertainment a close second.
If it doesn't impact Priority 1, I'd like to see Jesse attempt another 3 before he's done at SU.
Can he hit another one? Would be fun stuff.

And stroke looked good!

I think it was luck, yes. I like Jesse a lot but he still goes through baffling stretches of inconsistency in the paint. Last thing we want him doing is shooting 3s lol

It's OK for Joe or other "Marksmen" to launch a wild Heat Check after hitting a few!
Jesse has a better chance of making an open 3 than making some of the wild shots he creates in the paint.
If it won't really impact a game, why not. What's the difference?
I'd like to hear the Dome if Jesse can hit one or two against Duke Saturday.
Would fire up the team also -especially Judah who could see more space driving the lane.
Know it sounds crazy, and not going to get support here.
Will just die quietly on this hill! LOL

Pretty sure there was a video of Jesse shooting the 3 ball while training back in Amsterdam a couple summers ago. If I remember correctly he was making it look easy. All comes down to what Syracuse wants him to do. He’s a dominant force within 10 ft so why put him on the perimeter. It was just right place right time. He had no choice but to shoot so instincts kicked in. Maybe Boeheim can figure out a way to make him an option if we ever need a 3 end of game. He obviously wouldn’t be option 1 2 or 3 but adding a little wrinkle with him could be sneaky

Brooke Lopez was 3-21 from 3 in college.

He was 3-31 in his first 8 years in the NBA.

Then he made 134 3’s in year 9, and has now made 753 for his career.

Long story short, if we can keep Jesse here for about 7-8 more years, he’s probably going to light the Dome up with 3’s. Keep the faith!

Wait till he comes back and transfers to UVA…he’s going to extend and shred the zone with those 3s!

I kid, I kid….

It reminded me of the infamous T-Rob 3 -
Except Jesses form was better. Terrence had a strange arc and didn’t look good shooting them even though he loved to in warmups.

AFAIK, no interview/comments from Jesse on making that 3, and his perspective on that skill and taking more of them?
Reporters missed an opportunity to have some fun there!

Filipowski is 27% from 3, yet taken 91 this season.
Jesse can hit at least 27% -just know it;)
A center like the Joker that hits 3's is a great weapon.

When the offense struggles and SU falls behind by 15+ points with Joe/Bell 3-15 and Jesse being pushed around inside, why not see if Jesse can play the Joker role to open things up.
I know, I know...

Filipowski is 27% from 3, yet taken 91 this season.
Jesse can hit at least 27% -just know it;)
A center like the Joker that hits 3's is a great weapon.

When the offense struggles and SU falls behind by 15+ points with Joe/Bell 3-15 and Jesse being pushed around inside, why not see if Jesse can play the Joker role to open things up.
I know, I know...
Jokic was designed in a lab somewhere.

jesse has wisely moved his game outside the arc. he's heard repeatedly in the post pressers "he can't handle contact or phsyicality underneath" from his coach
so he's dialing up his elvir ovcina mojo deep.

His brain and height were, wouldn’t call him a body specimen though lol. He’s truly amazing and has a great iq, but I don’t think he will have the longest shelf life.
It is shocking that he could actually take another step if he got in shape. Of course, Donovan McNabb was never a model of health either.

Pretty sure they’re not spending time in practice trying to see if he can hit threes. It would be like posting up Sherman Helmsley

Pretty sure they’re not spending time in practice trying to see if he can hit threes. It would be like posting up Sherman Helmsley

Players spend a lot of time shooting around and playing unofficial ‘scrimmages’ with each other and things like that. If Jesse felt confident making 3’s, I think he’d show it at those times. Practices are also relatively low risk scenarios, especially for a Center with no competition for playing time. There’d really be nothing stopping him from stepping back and shooting some threes other than the coach calling him names.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom