Is Old Music Killing New Music? | Syracusefan.com

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
No delete feature over here?
noidea.gif

No. New music is killing new music. They have nowhere to go but back to the good stuff.

This. I will say one of the few genres that does have some music I can listen to that is modern is rock- given some older sounds are being recycled. Otherwise it's really hard to get into anything past the early 2000's with a preference for moving backwards from there.

This. I will say one of the few genres that does have some music I can listen to that is modern is rock- given some older sounds are being recycled. Otherwise it's really hard to get into anything past the early 2000's with a preference for moving backwards from there.
This is why Greta Van Fleet had so much buzz.

This is why Greta Van Fleet had so much buzz.

Yep similar to the Weekend bringing back 80s pop/techno and some rock bands also trying to bring back 90s grunge.

Anything new which sounds good to me is exactly like something from the past. I prefer to listen to the artists who did it first. Of course all music evolves from what came before, but currently, I do not see any new ground being broken. Pretty much all genres and all music from around the world has been fused together at some point. I also think we have reached the limits of what can be accomplished electronically. Perhaps there will be a new instrument around which a new genre can be developed. At this point, I do not see where we can go. Perhaps, I am wrong and I am just missing something that is already out there. Either way, there is still so much music from the past for me to discover.

Last edited:
No. New music is killing new music. They have nowhere to go but back to the good stuff.
Eh, there’s so much music out there. You just have to know how to find what you’re looking for. Which is certainly a challenge for many. It’s a fractured market, for sure. I haven’t listened to the radio in probably a solid 5 years and beyond maybe going to bars and games, I’d have no idea what the “popular” songs are. And I listen to a ton of new music.

The algorithms in these streaming services can be decent ways to find new music….but I realize a starting point is probably needed there.

I also follow acts that I like on social media, and often they’ll post about music they like…and if it’s something unknown to me I’ll check it out.

I have found that there is a lot of great new rock bands in Canada. Up at my camp I listen to Kingstons K rock where I have been introduced to many bands you wouldn’t here in the US. The Glorious Sons broke through with two #1 songs on the US modern rock chart but covid cut their momentum. Other bands like Sheepdogs, Arkells, the Trews have been making great music but you just don’t hear it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom