Is something different with reffing in CBB? | Syracusefan.com

Is something different with reffing in CBB?

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I might be totally off the wall with this but it seems like Brian O'Connell during the Cuse/Drexel game and Jeffrey Anderson during the Cuse/Colgate game both accounted for about 75% of the whistles blown and probably 100% of the 50/50 calls no matter where they were positioned on the floor. It appeared that the other two, less experienced refs, would never blow the whistle, even though it seemed it would be their call. Did I miss something that said only the senior ref could blow the whistle and it was like in hockey where the linesman couldn't call penalties.

Idk but the reffing is weird. They call it like they are watching from 500 feet from the action. Very impressionistic at times. A lotta times its just anticipatory calls. Like you know as a viewer that a whistle is coming just from the angles of the players involved. if a defender makes an out of control swipe but makes zero contact they often get called. have no idea when I am watching on tv who is blowing what...but i could totally see what you are talking about. it also seems like certain refs call things waaay way differently than others. i really notice the refs ...which isnt a good thing, imo.

Idk but the reffing is weird. They call it like they are watching from 500 feet from the action. Very impressionistic at times. A lotta times its just anticipatory calls. Like you know as a viewer that a whistle is coming just from the angles of the players involved. if a defender makes an out of control swipe but makes zero contact they often get called. have no idea when I am watching on tv who is blowing what...but i could totally see what you are talking about. it also seems like certain refs call things waaay way differently than others. i really notice the refs ...which isnt a good thing, imo.
Yes, you will never tell from TV but when a ref is positioned under the basket and a foul is called on a play under the hoop, why is it Anderson calling it from up top 40 feet away.