Is Taj worth it? | Syracusefan.com

Is Taj worth it?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I think he is a very talented player despite his drops, but if I was his QB I would punch him in the face if she showed me up every play that I didn't pass to him. Dino needs to curtail that and the fact that it hasn't been curtailed yet is concerning. He embarrasses the program with those antics. That said we need him. That said he isn't Jerry Rice and should be fairly easy to replace.

He's made some incredible catches to. Just needs to grow up but I think he's worth it.

100% -- yes he is.

But he does need to tone it down. WRs are often divas -- could be a maturity thing.

Agree. Takes some guys time to mature especially when they are more than likely facing adversity in athletics when they might not be used to it. Dino needs to talk to him, but I wouldn't give up on him after his sophomore year.

Agree. Takes some guys time to mature especially when they are more than likely facing adversity in athletics when they might not be used to it. Dino needs to talk to him, but I wouldn't give up on him after his sophomore year.

Is there reason to believe that Dino has not been talking to him?

I also think there was some chemistry-based disconnect on this year's team.

Last year's senior class showed TONS of leadership. Even guys who hadn't played much before last year stepped up and were big time leaders on and off the field [example - Jamal Custis]. We also had a QB who was uber-competitive, that the team got behind.

Not pointing any fingers, but a lot of those intangible leadership attributes seemed to be gone this year, and it showed. Could be massively different next year, with so many returning / experienced players, and the bad taste of a disappointing 5-7 campaign on their minds the whole off-season.

I think it was after the first TD against Wake (or maybe the TD to Benson) that the camera showed him and Welch and TD on the sideline and, even after SU scored, he was still jawing away at Welch. Not angry at him, just totally keyed up/brash/whatever adjective you want to use here.

I think part of this is Taj's personality, not maturity level.

I think it was after the first TD against Wake (or maybe the TD to Benson) that the camera showed him and Welch and TD on the sideline and, even after SU scored, he was still jawing away at Welch. Not angry at him, just totally keyed up/brash/whatever adjective you want to use here.

makes you wonder if he's one of the 'me first' guys that HCDB called out in the press conference.

Is there reason to believe that Dino has not been talking to him?

No and if that's the case and Dino thinks it's a situation that will negatively affect the team, I trust his decision making.

He was amped up and the QB's were laughing. It wasn't a thing. I took it as a positive that he and Devito were talking.

Noticed that too and thought same thing - don't remember the dramatics last year but may have missed it. I do know that next year I want to see a ton less of it.

If he adds about 20 lb of muscle he could be a big time receiver. You can’t teach what he does when he’s given the ball with some space

Maybe he was pumping him, telling him they believed in him and to keep it up.

He was amped up and the QB's were laughing. It wasn't a thing. I took it as a positive that he and Devito were talking.

That's basically my point - that he's just naturally amped up in bad times and in good times. So whatever maturation that happens over the next couple years, I'm guessing that he's still going to be, for good or bad, an Energizer bunny.

I want him back, but agree Dino needs to talk to him and if it continues next year, he can sit a series or 10 and bring in Cam Jordan.

Yes
He has a tight relationship with Dungey and it is taking time for him and Devito to get on the same page.
Lots of misses when he was open and lots of him not running the right route or coming back to the QB this year but I suspect it will be cleaned up and we will see good Taj in 2020.

As a leader in the "Shut the hell up, Taj!" movement... someone who advocated for his benching several times this season due to his histrionics... we're in no position to cut someone loose who can contribute, and isn't committing crimes or flunking out of school. So yeah, worth it.

However, I was really disappointed in the utter lack of discipline in this year's team (which extends from antics to penalties). So I really hope Dino tightens that up this offseason.

Remember when Marvin Harrison complained about not being thrown too enough?

The lack of leadership on this year's team was apparent from Day 1. Fingers crossed a group steps up and gets the team to recommit to the details that got them so far in 2018.

Personally, I think the Taj stuff is way overblown. No doubt to me that he's worth it.

This X1000. Throw him a ball. Kid should have at least 5 more TDs where he wasn't thrown to or Tommy airmailed it OB. But we all remember the one drop against Clemson and start all this nonsense.

I 100% understand Taj's frustrations this year. He's been open a lot and has been missed for one reason or another - whether it be poor O-line play or Tommy not seeing the whole field. Even when the ball has been thrown his way, there have been a lot of off-target throws, including the one against Louisville that should have been an easy 6 if the ball was thrown upfield, but instead it was thrown to the sideline.

With all that being said, he needs to show more restraint, especially on the field of play. Stomping around like a 7 year old who got told no is not a good look for him, his QB or the rest of the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom