"Is that S for Syracuse?" | Syracusefan.com

"Is that S for Syracuse?"

Crusty

Living Legend
just came back from county office building and a lady at the front behind plexiglass wearing a mask sees my windbreaker and asked me that question. I was a bit surprised because even though this is SC not NC most around here think any S is NC State regardless of red or orange. When I sad yes, she replied, "Good taste!`

Though you would enjoy - I did!
LGO

One year, I was at my son's Lacrosse game in a part of the Houston area that I don't frequent. Game was over and there were parents from the second game showing up. I passed a guy with a large S on an orange shirt and said "Go Orange". He didn't respond and looked at me strangely. I realized later that the local school shared the same colors and block S, but didn't go by Orange. Ooops.

just came back from county office building and a lady at the front behind plexiglass wearing a mask sees my windbreaker and asked me that question. I was a bit surprised because even though this is SC not NC most around here think any S is NC State regardless of red or orange. When I sad yes, she replied, "Good taste!`

Though you would enjoy - I did!
LGO
It's funny, in my little SC burg we now have 3 families on our street who all lived in Manlius. A family who just moved in has their block S flag out and I have to do the double take every time I walk or drive by. In a pathetically sad little way I feel I've lost some of my identify that I now have to share with others. I've taken pride in being "that Syracuse guy" for so many years...

A couple weeks ago, I walked into a store in a Houston suburb wearing Syracuse T-shirt. A lady walked by and said "Go Orange.". I turned and she said she grew up by the university. We talked a few minutes of SU and the Orange.

Always happy to meet a fellow Orange can.

A couple weeks ago, I walked into a store in a Houston suburb wearing Syracuse T-shirt. A lady walked by and said "Go Orange.". I turned and she said she grew up by the university. We talked a few minutes of SU and the Orange.

Always happy to meet a fellow Orange can.
My reaction every time I see someone wearing Cuse gear outside of the 315 is to say "Go Orange." It's basically a reflex at this point.

Ughh, I was hungover in the Seattle airport years ago. Saw a guy rocking some nike shorts with a block S on them. I walked up and for some reason the only thing I could think of saying was "Nice S ya got there" He said "What?" I said it again.. He stared at me for a minute, saw my cuse shirt, and said "Oh, yea, go orange" and walked away.
He totally thought I said "nice ass ya got there"

Ughh, I was hungover in the Seattle airport years ago. Saw a guy rocking some nike shorts with a block S on them. I walked up and for some reason the only thing I could think of saying was "Nice S ya got there" He said "What?" I said it again.. He stared at me for a minute, saw my cuse shirt, and said "Oh, yea, go orange" and walked away.
He just knew what you were thinking

^^^Gotta try this w/ a “S” wearing hottie sometime!

I’ve travelled all over the world for work & leisure. Few years ago i went on a Serengeti/Mount Kilimanjaro safari in Tanzania, East Africa.
As we’re getting off the plane heading out to the lodge, pilot sees my S hat and from the cockpit says: “Go Cuse”! True story.
As Melo once said: “Cuse fans are everywhere”.

Last edited:

I’ve travelled all over the world for work & leisure. Few years ago i went for a Serengeti/Mount Kilimanjaro safari in Tanzania, East Africa.
As we’re getting off the plane heading out to the lodge, pilot sees my S hat and from the cockpit says: “Go Cuse”! True story.

So, the pilot thought you had a nice "S"?

A buddy of mine despises Syracuse. He'd trash me everytime I worse S.U. gear. He wore an orange block S hat, that was clearly a Syracuse hat. He claimed it stood for "Savage"...his last name.

A few years ago I went to a Dave Matthews concert in Cincinnati (a birthday gift for my wife, I'm not really a Dave Matthews guy... really not my scene). I wore a Syracuse hat to the concert, & while I was there I noticed at least 3 other Syracuse hats in the crowd... in southern Ohio... at a non-sports event... Syracuse fans are everywhere!

Last edited:

I’ve travelled all over the world for work & leisure. Few years ago i went on a Serengeti/Mount Kilimanjaro safari in Tanzania, East Africa.
I’ve gotten the “Go ‘Cuse” in Costa Rica, Italy and Norway. Planning a Uganda/Kenya trip next summer. Will report back.

It's funny, in my little SC burg we now have 3 families on our street who all lived in Manlius. A family who just moved in has their block S flag out and I have to do the double take every time I walk or drive by. In a pathetically sad little way I feel I've lost some of my identify that I now have to share with others. I've taken pride in being "that Syracuse guy" for so many years...
That's a lot of damn yankees in one neighborhood!

Is that an S in your pocket or are you just glad to see me

My response wouldve been “duh, what else would it mean?” And then throw a snowball in her face, to give the true experience

Once in ocean City MD I had a Syracuse shirt on and a guy in a Lemoyne shirt said Go Orange.

Once in the quad I had a throwback SU Harrison jersey on. Joe Morris asked me why I was wearing an Auburn jersey.:confused:

I was parked at a red light in Virginia Beach once. At the time, my license plate was in fact ALL4SU. Some guy walking with his wife (probably his wife, maybe his sister or cousin) spots my license plate and says loud enough for me to hear inside the car in his best cracker voice, “Look Honey, All for Sue!” I should have hit the accelerator.

About 15 years ago I was on the beach in the Outer Banks wearing a Cuse T-shirt and was asked by a man if I was a Cuse basketball fan. After I responded with an emphatic "Yes" (and a roll of the eyes by my wife) I had a long conversation with a man who had a lot of personal stories about JB. At the end of the conversation he told he had coached St Bonaventure ( when my brother was a student there) and was now head of officials for the A-10. It was Jim Satalin.

At the 1996 National Championship game at the Meadowlands I ran into a guy that looked exactly like Buzz Shaw. I approached him, introduced myself and then realized he was a good ole boy from Kentucky in a business suit....