Is the ISO-ball offense going to go away? | Syracusefan.com

Is the ISO-ball offense going to go away?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I like have shooting on the team but our offensive philosophy hasn’t changed while the talent has declined.

Everyone has to admit when JB has proper personnel his defense works. It may not recruit well since players want to play in the NBA but it works.

Something that hasn’t changed is our offense. I don’t get how the brilliant basketball mind of Jim Boeheim can’t work on our stagnant offensive philosophies. Which have become so Iso heavy that the games just become can make shots. If those shots are consistently tough shots then its hard to be consistent.

I wish one of the assistants could be tasked with revamping our offense. We don’t need to be 100% motion or 100% iso.
Just watch good coached offensive teams. They mix it up. Arizona last night in the second half put a clinic how coaching can help an offense.

Anyone think it can change in the JB Era?

I like have shooting on the team but our offensive philosophy hasn’t changed while the talent has declined.

Everyone has to admit when JB has proper personnel his defense works. It may not recruit well since players want to play in the NBA but it works.

Something that hasn’t changed is our offense. I don’t get how the brilliant basketball mind of Jim Boeheim can’t work on our stagnant offensive philosophies. Which have become so Iso heavy that the games just become can make shots. If those shots are consistently tough shots then its hard to be consistent.

I wish one of the assistants could be tasked with revamping our offense. We don’t need to be 100% motion or 100% iso.
Just watch good coached offensive teams. They mix it up. Arizona last night in the second half put a clinic how coaching can help an offense.

Top 20 offense this year, defense was and has been the problem.

Top 20 offense this year, defense was and has been the problem.
Our offense made shots that won some games.

It’s not a good philosophy that will win 6 games in March with the talent we have been getting.
We were so bad defensively because of our athleticism.

Our system can’t balance both because by going for shooting it killed the defense by those “ shooters” lack of defense.
Too much ISO and too much dependent on making tough shots.

I didn’t like our offense. We scored points because we took a lot of 3’s and had guys who could make them in spurts.
The offense was not consistent. It was all about making shots.

Our offense made shots that won some games.

It’s not a good philosophy that will win 6 games in March with the talent we have been getting.
We were so bad defensively because of our athleticism.

Our system can’t balance both because by going for shooting it killed the defense by those “ shooters” lack of defense.
Too much ISO and too much dependent on making tough shots.

I didn’t like our offense. We scored points because we took a lot of 3’s and had guys who could make them in spurts.
The offense was not consistent. It was all about making shots.
Not sure how an offense could be top 20 over the course of a season and “not be consistent.” But once again, the issue was defense. Syracuse lost games because they were getting out scored. Put this offense, iso and all, with a top 75 defense and syracuse is an entirely different squad and likely finished in the top 4 of the ACC easily.

Not sure how an offense could be top 20 over the course of a season and “not be consistent.” But once again, the issue was defense. Syracuse lost games because they were getting out scored. Put this offense, iso and all, with a top 75 defense and syracuse is an entirely different squad and likely finished in the top 4 of the ACC easily.
When Jesse was in we looked like a legitimate good offensive team that had dimension

VCU, Auburn, Nova, Gtown, Duke1, Pitt2, VT, ND, Duke 2, Wake1.

10 of our losses came with bad performances on offense.

We all know our defense should have been better. Zero disagreement. That said our offensive numbers came from great offensive performances against weaker teams. We actually had a number of better defensive performances in the 10 losses noted above.

I'm not saying we didn't have a pretty good offense but the numbers are deceiving when you break it down further looking at individual games.

I wish one of the assistants could be tasked with revamping our offense.

maybe John asks him to hire a new offensive coordinator if he wants to coach one more year.

defense was and has been the problem.
Ok then maybe John asks him to find a defensive coordinator too, and JB just manages the substitutions.

As much as I hate thinking about the NFL these days as a Cowboys fan- I look at the issues we have as similar. Effectively a good to great offense against middle of the pack or worse opponents. To the effect of being able to run up the stats and efficiency numbers. Then a massive drop-off vs middle and up teams. The drop off goes from top 20 to maybe 80-100 spots lower in those games. That speaks to the obvious flaws regarding dribble penetration and athleticism that become obvious watching this team all year.

i think JB's approach is all about being able to be the puppetmaster.

he wants to make decisions for what the team does on offense and defense...

the zone enables him to pick and choose what an opposing offense does and who gets the shots and who doesnt...which, when executed properly, can be devastatingly effective...(with an inadeqaute zone, it is quite possibly the worst defense in the sport...but thats a different issue)

he is the mastermind...and generally it has worked...although I think opponents are getting smarter and smarter...and his talent has gotten lower and lower ...and his "puppetry" is not working as well as it has for most of his career.

i think this is the real reason kadary left...he didnt want to be a puppet.

On offense...it is the same ...although not to the same extent...with the iso offense...he can decide who gets shots throughout the game and when...(theoretically)

it doesnt work at times...and the team went through extended stretches of zero scoring this season multiple times per game it seemed, despite having a top 20 offense in the nation

too many times it seemed the team would go away from what was working and go iso and then stop scoring...i wonder how much of that was directed from the HC

perhaps a reason that the zone and the iso offense seem sacrosanct in JB mind is because for him it is all about deciding as much as possible what happens on the court for his team...and these schemes enable that.

by the end of every season, he does seem to get there...and get the team playing at its maximum level, but the past regular seasons have been brutal...as the team adjusts to his system and as he adjusts his directions to actual optimal winning choices...he's been off in some of his calculations...this season, especially but also the past 5-10years or so as well.

maybe he realizes this and will try a new approach...giving players more freedom...

but the offensive scheme needs to not go iso...

its just so easy for good teams and coaches to stymie

When Jesse was in we looked like a legitimate good offensive team that had dimension
There were a few games there where it really felt like the Girard and Edwards pick and roll was going to become a dominant force.

C’est la vie

Maybe next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom