Is there a more out of touch alum than Pete Thamel? | Syracusefan.com

Is there a more out of touch alum than Pete Thamel?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Feel free to post this on the basketball board as well:

Worst SU alum ever. Admit's he doesn't bleed orange like some of the other media guys. Says it's because he covered the teams here. Well didn't Tirico too when he was here? Brings up the sanctions again and "that's why JB needs to go after next year", then goes on to compare the Syracuse Athletic department to Ohio State. While I agree we need more fundraising, comparing our Athletic Department to Ohio States is just plain ignorant.

I mean how stupid is this guy. Ohio State is one of the biggest state schools in the country. We are a small private North East school. Goes on to say the Jury is out on the AD hire. "It depends how he handles the JB succession". I cannot stand this guy.

Worst SU alum ever. Admit's he doesn't bleed orange like some of the other media guys. Says it's because he covered the teams here. Well didn't Tirico too when he was here? Brings up the sanctions again and "that's why JB needs to go after next year", then goes on to compare the Syracuse Athletic department to Ohio State. While I agree we need more fundraising, comparing our Athletic Department to Ohio States is just plain ignorant.

I mean how stupid is this guy. Ohio State is one of the biggest state schools in the country. We are a small private North East school. Goes on to say the Jury is out on the AD hire. "It depends how he handles the JB succession". I cannot stand this guy.
Probably still smarting from welts received due to a past JB lashing.

the JB succession has been handled. :crazy:

didn't Svyuerd himself say he wants our model to be stanford/nd/duke and thamel compares SU to Ohio State?

Somebody on the Hill likes him as he was fed the AD story before anyone else. However he has a douche side.

I hope they listened to his interview with Sal and Infanti, because he knows little about the SU AD department from the sounds of it.

Worst SU alum ever. Admit's he doesn't bleed orange like some of the other media guys.
Except Tirico is a play-by-play guy, not a journalist. A good journalist is going to do their best to be unbiased, while PxP is about personality and persona.

Also, so what if he isn't an outwardly rabid fan of Syracuse athletics? There's no rule that says an alum has to, especially if he has reasons. Besides, it's not like he's out to make the school look bad.

Except Tirico is a play-by-play guy, not a journalist. A good journalist is going to do their best to be unbiased, while PxP is about personality and persona.

Also, so what if he isn't an outwardly rabid fan of Syracuse athletics? There's no rule that says an alum has to, especially if he has reasons. Besides, it's not like he's out to make the school look bad.

Ok, he's not a fan. At least support your school. He never even does that. He always goes out of the way to slam us if he can. I've never once read or heard him say anything good about Syracuse.

The Ohio State AD has zero in common with us. If he brought up Duke or some other private school I would listen, but he does not.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic, dead-serious, or just trolling?

Ok, he's not a fan. At least support your school. He never even does that. He always goes out of the way to slam us if he can. I've never once read or heard him say anything good about Syracuse.

The Ohio State AD has zero in common with us. If he brought up Duke or some other private school I would listen, but he does not.
I can't tell if this is sarcastic, dead-serious, or just trolling?
The distrust of media on this board is disheartening.

The distrust of media on this board is disheartening.

I am not Dave85... Waters/Bailey/Carlson/Ditota are fine by me. I'm ok with all media members not named Mark Schwarz or Pete Thamel.

If you're talking, media, off the top of my head, I'll go with Craig Carton as worst media alum ever.

If you're talking, media, off the top of my head, I'll go with Craig Carton as worst media alum ever.

Lol, forgot about him, but then again I don't live in the tri-state area and have to listen to him all the time...

He also said that if JB were to stay beyond initial statement of 3 years, that Syverud's dignity would be called into question. WHY? As far as anybody knows did this 3 year span for coach come from the chancellor?

I am not Dave85... Waters/Bailey/Carlson/Ditota are fine by me. I'm ok with all media members not named Mark Schwarz or Pete Thamel.
There's a difference between disliking someone's style/approach and essentially calling them a disgrace. Thamel comes back to speak at Newhouse from time to time and is obviously successful and therefore great poster boy for the magazine and newspaper programs. Him describing Boeheim as an angry crab may be hard to stomach at times, but that doesn't make him the worst alum.

There's a difference between disliking someone's style/approach and essentially calling them a disgrace. Thamel comes back to speak at Newhouse from time to time and is obviously successful and therefore great poster boy for the magazine and newspaper programs. Him describing Boeheim as an angry crab may be hard to stomach at times, but that doesn't make him the worst alum.

Agree to disagree... What I heard today was very little about JB's style etc, more about everything else surrounding the school...

Just not my favorite... and I know a lot of other people have the same opinion of him as well...

Agree to disagree... What I heard today was very little about JB's style etc, more about everything else surrounding the school...

Just not my favorite... and I know a lot of other people have the same opinion of him as well...
I just hope the new AD can get a competent PR team together for once so people stop expecting people who aren't paid by the University to do it instead.

LeMoyneCuse said:
I just hope the new AD can get a competent PR team together for once so people stop expecting people who aren't paid by the University to do it instead.

There's a space between PR and what Thamel does that's pretty fair and honest. That's the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom