is this finally the year???? | Syracusefan.com

is this finally the year????

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
with the 3 pt shot becoming so important the last 10 years or so, every year i see all these teams bombing away and drilling 3s and i think to myself “why cant that be us????”. well is that finally gonna be us this year? im so sick of watching syracuse teams that cant freaking shoot! i havent followed this offseason too closely but looks like we got some shooters.

We have shooters but point guard position is somewhat in doubt. Also, defense? Much is cloudy in the crystal ball.

But if Buddy has the kind of season we hope, the whole country will be rooting for us. (Well, except for the state of North Carolina.)

We have shooters but point guard position is somewhat in doubt. Also, defense? Much is cloudy in the crystal ball.

But if Buddy has the kind of season we hope, the whole country will be rooting for us. (Well, except for the state of North Carolina.)
Hey Beadle...not the whole state of NC! There are a few Orange fans down here but we are greatly out numbered. It will be fun to watch the 3 pointers fall for our side more often. First exhibition was promising. Still lots of room to improve but we do have a few building blocks as long as we stay away from injuries.

We cant shoot because we wont play inside out. We never ever ever feed the post and then kick out to an open perimeter shooter. We pass and dribble around the perimeter and take way more contested threes. Sometimes we run pick and roll but the guy who rolls never ever ever gets the ball so nobody worries about the guy rolling to the basket so we get a double team or a hard show from the defender guarding our guy setting the pick and the point guard is not skilled enough to take advantage of the double team on the pick and roll. Centers are the only guys who ever pick on the pick and roll instead of a forward who can shoot, take it to the hole or pass. Even in the first exb. game. frank worked hard to establish position down on the blocks and Joe just looked at him like no way bro. and passed to the other side.

We cant shoot because we wont play inside out. We never ever ever feed the post and then kick out to an open perimeter shooter. We pass and dribble around the perimeter and take way more contested threes. Sometimes we run pick and roll but the guy who rolls never ever ever gets the ball so nobody worries about the guy rolling to the basket so we get a double team or a hard show from the defender guarding our guy setting the pick and the point guard is not skilled enough to take advantage of the double team on the pick and roll. Centers are the only guys who ever pick on the pick and roll instead of a forward who can shoot, take it to the hole or pass. Even in the first exb. game. frank worked hard to establish position down on the blocks and Joe just looked at him like no way bro. and passed to the other side.

most teams don’t dump it down low to have it kicked back out. What teams do, and we’ll do this year with Jimmy is get it into the high post and that player kicks it out to the opposite corner or wing.

I think our defense will be significantly better than most people are expecting.

I know...slow footed white guys, blah blah blah...but in the exhibition replay I saw Jimmy--on the back side of the zone watching as Pace tried to penetrate the far side--react when the ball got to the far corner. He anticipated a pass to a Pace team mate who was dashing to the basket and broke up the play.

I considered this to be a sign that the guys know that they must attack the passing lanes with a vengeance if they want to beat the best teams they will face this year. Even if you're not the most athletic player on the court, if you can anticipate the opponent's next likely pass, you can get yourself quickly into position to make a steal.

Sure, if some team is killing us with deep corner threes, we may need to make sure that Benny--and maybe Frank--is out there on the floor to contest them, but generally I'm hopeful that Jimmy's/Cole's length combined with some good anticipation instincts can still make this year's zone a turnover-forcing machine like those we've seen in the past.

That's what I'm looking for, anyway. If we actually do see something close to that happening, it will absolutely improve this team's upside potential...

Last edited:

I live in NC and I root enough to cancel out 10 Dookies, Heels, Deacons and Wolfpack!

When it comes to shooting, given what we have it's going to be about runs. We have some guys who can both hit 4 or 5 in a row and it wouldn't be an anomaly.

One of the the things I've had in the back of my mind is if we can manage to have a couple of those kind of runs in games. It creates separation and with the zone then really makes it hard for a team to counter those runs.

In the past it's the teams that can go on huge runs that win so many games for SU. We only really saw that in a few games late in the year and when AG was hot.

Two 15-0 or 15-4 type runs can be devastating for an opponent. It's these situations where you see elite shooting teams making their ability to shoot seem like a superpower. It's also why Notre Dame looks like a decent team. They play zero defense so they can win some games still because of the shooting factor most years. But ultimately are mediocre or above average given their carefree approach to D.

Was our 2012-13 team the one with Fab as a sophomore who eventually couldn’t play in the NCAAs because of cheating? (The beginning of the rest of our trouble.) With Fab, our team could have won the tournament.

Anyway, they went on a bunch of runs. They might start out kind of lackadaisical and then “The Run” would happen. Next thing you know, we were 15 points up. I can’t remember, but we probably went on those runs because of our defense. With the team we have today, it will have to be our shooters getting hot and then the rest of the team catching the fever. That absolutely can happen.

So yesterday Duke won an exhibition by 100 something to 30 something. They never ever let up. They will destroy you without conscience. I don’t think Boeheim has the stomach for that.

Was our 2012-13 team the one with Fab as a sophomore who eventually couldn’t play in the NCAAs because of cheating? (The beginning of the rest of our trouble.) With Fab, our team could have won the tournament.

Anyway, they went on a bunch of runs. They might start out kind of lackadaisical and then “The Run” would happen. Next thing you know, we were 15 points up. I can’t remember, but we probably went on those runs because of our defense. With the team we have today, it will have to be our shooters getting hot and then the rest of the team catching the fever. That absolutely can happen.

So yesterday Duke won an exhibition by 100 something to 30 something. They never ever let up. They will destroy you without conscience. I don’t think Boeheim has the stomach for that.

Yeah. Impressive by Duke. That said Duke and UK etc always love to go in with some 50-60 point plus wins in pre season/exhibition. They are loaded this year too so nothing new there much like Zion team etc.

We made the FF in 2013 the year after Fab.
2012 was when he was suspended.

I would hope Boeheim wouldn't do that.

Duke was up by 50 at halftime...63-13.
What's the point of a further beatdown of a team that didn't play a regular season game all last season?
OK, no starter played more than about 21 minutes.
But how much of an embarrassment do you want to dish out?
Duke had a 24 point run in the 2nd half.

I would hope Boeheim wouldn't do that.

Duke was up by 50 at halftime...63-13.
What's the point of a further beatdown of a team that didn't play a regular season game all last season?
OK, no starter played more than about 21 minutes.
But how much of an embarrassment do you want to dish out?
Duke had a 24 point run in the 2nd half.
I have never seen Boeheim try to smash a team to the ground. My Duke friend said that K took the starters out after the first 6 minutes of the second half. Boeheim probably would have started the walk ons in the second half.

I think that's a good way to look at it.

Not sure how good we'll be on defense or on the glass. Also, we had a key departure at PG, so that's a question mark.

But it seems like this is a team that could light up even good teams -- if they're on and shots are falling, we're going to be dangerous as hell. And if they aren't, we'll struggle in certain games to score.

im so sick of watching syracuse teams that cant freaking shoot! i havent followed this offseason too closely but looks like we got some shooters.
Not sure, but I am going to guess that late 80s/early 90s SU hoops would have not have been your scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom