Is this the moment... | Syracusefan.com

Is this the moment...

SU in Hershey

Starter
where the proverbial corner is turned?

This game looked to be the beginning of the end of this season. Another promising start, destined for disappointment. As others have said, if we lose this game, it is likely (or at least possible) that the wheels would have come off for this team.

But things changed, and for me, not without some pain.

I saw two of our warriors, our leaders, our points of pride and hope over the recent years, potentially play themselves into obsolescence. I speak of Eric Dungey and Antwan Cordy.

Hyperbole? Maybe. But as I have become older, I am often excited for positive change but find myself mourning for those who sacrificed and gave it their all to get us there. Those few, who will know they were part of something, but only be recognized for their accomplishments by those who never lost faith. We may see their name in the record book and feel a sense of wonder and yet, of unfulfilled promise.

I don't mean to put their football careers at a premature end, but it was a little painful to watch them in this game. The young bucks (Devito, Johnson, Harris, Trill, Melifonwu, Cisco, etc.) have given us a glimpse of what it could be like to fulfill Coach Babers' vision. That remains to be seen. But watching young Mr. Dungey and Mr. Cordy struggle really hurt. I think if we had lost, it would have been lumped in with all of the other negative feelings in a stew of fetid frustration. But in the face of a most unexpected yet dramatic win, I am excited for what may come, but mournful for the old guard for whom the orange faithful owe so much.

This is it.

Dungey did not play himself into obsolescence.

I say this at the risk of sounding corny, but Dungey left it all on the field in an effort to give us a shot at something more. He succeeded, we’re there and it’s up from here.

This is it.

I say this at the risk of sounding corny, but Dungey left it all on the field in an effort to give us a shot at something more. He succeeded, we’re there and it’s up from here.
Yes. It is

This is it.

I don't think what you said sounded corny at all. I would agree 100%. But, I think what you see in the differences between the two players, in an admittedly small sample size for TD, is a clear upgrade. Obsolete doesn't necessarily mean it is useless, but it generally suggests having been replaced. I think we can both agree on that being applicable.
And as I stated, that's what makes me sad. Like getting rid of my first car; I loved the newer car, but man, the sentimentality of parting with the old one was very difficult.

I don't think what you said sounded corny at all. I would agree 100%. But, I think what you see in the differences between the two players, in an admittedly small sample size for TD, is a clear upgrade. Obsolete doesn't necessarily mean it is useless, but it generally suggests having been replaced. I think we can both agree on that being applicable.
And as I stated, that's what makes me sad. Like getting rid of my first car; I loved the newer car, but man, the sentimentality of parting with the old one was very difficult.

I completely agree then. I just think Dungey’s honored our program in a way that’ll age very well.

I completely agree then. I just think Dungey’s honored our program in a way that’ll age very well.

For us as true fans, he will always hold a place in our hearts. And make no mistake, his teammates will remember him in a similar way, and his passion and fight will be carried forward in those who have played, practiced and just hung out with him.

I think TD will be a great QB, and if fate deems it, Chance Amie as well. But I think they have had to learn some significant leadership lessons and life lessons from somebody like ED, don't you?

That's a legacy.

1540090574294.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom