Is This True? | Syracusefan.com

Is This True?

Orijinal

All Conference
The Darian Chestnut article on Syracuse.com said that Syracuse's class is ranked 14th in the ACC by 2 four seven. Since there are only 14 teams in the ACC, this is a little startling. What's the reasoning behind this?

The amount of three stars who are rated on the lower end. The cumulative average brings down the overall class rank.

It is true. But the average rating for a Cuse commit is higher than the average for a Wake commit, they just have 17 commits instead of 15 which puts them higher at 12th place. Getting Duce Chestnut to commit would also move SU above Duke and into 13th place.

It is true. But the average rating for a Cuse commit is higher than the average for a Wake commit, they just have 17 commits instead of 15 which puts them higher at 12th place. Getting Duce Chestnut to commit would also move SU above Duke and into 13th place.
Oh yuck. So even getting a 4 star player would only move them to 13. Wow

We haven’t done a very good job with high profile recruits. But Chestnut, Cruz and Rooks would go a long way towards helping this class rankings wise. Obviously Chestnut is the highest probability there but the staff is fighting hard for the other two.

Rankings aside, I think this is a pretty strong class though that addresses a lot of needs. I really like what we’ve done on the lines and we’ve added some pretty nice regional prospects out of NY, MA and PA. Couple of kids with legit Michigan offers and a kid like Josh Hough whose offers are vastly underreported. Lamson looks like a prospect at QB tailor made for this offense.

And I think we’ll still see a few nice prospects out of Florida as well. The rankings could be better but I’m pretty happy with how this class is evolving.

We land better players in the second half of the cycle.

Syracuse needs to be top 45 in recruiting nationally. Somewhere around 10 in the ACC

Our recruiting has been below average for 20 years, this shouldn’t be breaking news. We do not get the national blue-chip recruits. Haven’t gotten them since the 90’s. If a factory school wants a player that we want, he isn’t coming here.

That said, this staff does a good job at finding under the radar recruits that other schools missed. Andre Cisco being a good example. They do a good job finding kids that others look past. Duce Chestnut will be a good addition and replacement next year for Trill/Cisco should they declare early.

Our current recruiting strategy is another important reason why the 1 year transfer rule cannot change. Because if we land a player that other schools overlooked and he turns out to be an excellent player; that player could be a target for the factory schools to poach.

Our recruiting has been below average for 20 years, this shouldn’t be breaking news. We do not get the national blue-chip recruits. Haven’t gotten them since the 90’s. If a factory school wants a player that we want, he isn’t coming here.

That said, this staff does a good job at finding under the radar recruits that other schools missed. Andre Cisco being a good example. They do a good job finding kids that others look past. Duce Chestnut will be a good addition and replacement next year for Trill/Cisco should they declare early.

Our current recruiting strategy is another important reason why the 1 year transfer rule cannot change. Because if we land a player that other schools overlooked and he turns out to be an excellent player; that player could be a target for the factory schools to poach.
I have been following recruiting since early 2000's. I understand the kinds of recruits that Syracuse lands.

It seems like Syracuse has been middle of the pack (10ish) in recruiting rankings in the ACC since joining. I actually thought recruiting was trending up this year, because some of these kids seem like they could be pretty good ...Lamson, Geer, Hawaii linemen, etc ...

I have been following recruiting since early 2000's. I understand the kinds of recruits that Syracuse lands.

It seems like Syracuse has been middle of the pack (10ish) in recruiting rankings in the ACC since joining. I actually thought recruiting was trending up this year, because some of these kids seem like they could be pretty good ...Lamson, Geer, Hawaii linemen, etc ...
I think this years class is better than the last couple. Several of these players are under the radar because they did not camp, receive exposure due to pandemic. Players like Folk and Hough are underrated. I think this is a good class that fills needs. We do however need to figure a way to land a recruit that will create attention. Chestnut is a start but Rooks is the type of player that would make up ground.

Rankings aside, I've liked each of our recruits with a possible exception of one meh WR.

Rankings aside, I've liked each of our recruits with a possible exception of one meh WR.
Gadsden or Hatcher or both would both be huge adds. Both have many big name offers and I’m surprised Gadsden isn’t getting more buzz just because his father had a good NFL career.

I know what you’re point is but I don’t know if I’d classify Cisco as ‘under the radar’. He had P5 offers from Nebraska (official visit), Illinois (official visit), Northwestern and Vanderbilt. He’s really exactly the type of recruit and recruiting battle that many of us trumpet that we need to win - beating out peer schools. And winning a kid that OV’d to Nebraska.

many of our recruits fit this profile; peer school offer, but they’re not rated very high, much like Cisco. You need to hit on a few who become stars and build the underbelly of the team with this type of peer school recruit profile.

I’m not as bullish on beating out MAC schools but each kid is different.

I know what you’re point is but I don’t know if I’d classify Cisco as ‘under the radar’. He had P5 offers from Nebraska (official visit), Illinois (official visit), Northwestern and Vanderbilt. He’s really exactly the type of recruit and recruiting battle that many of us trumpet that we need to win - beating out peer schools. And winning a kid that OV’d to Nebraska.

many of our recruits fit this profile; peer school offer, but they’re not rated very high, much like Cisco. You need to hit on a few who become stars and build the underbelly of the team with this type of peer school recruit profile.

I’m not as bullish on beating out MAC schools but each kid is different.
Then replace Cisco with Bergeron, Benson or Melifonwu. Point being is staff has done well finding the underrated/under recruited players. The investment in Canada has also been smart and provided talent.

The challenge has been and remains (honestly since Freeney left); finding a way to land the national recruit(s) that will provide momentum, juice and buzz to this program. Each and every year we get close to 1-2 players but come short. This year the player is George Rooks.

I wouldn't be too concerned with ratings this year. Summer camps can impact ratings and we don't have that this year. This class will be similar in quality to what we've been getting. I like that there is some beef on the lines and a solid QB coming in. Chestnut would be the cherry on top. Rooks, based solely on history, to me would be a shock. With the football season quite possibly not existing this fall, who knows what will happen come signing day.

The Darian Chestnut article on Syracuse.com said that Syracuse's class is ranked 14th in the ACC by 2 four seven. Since there are only 14 teams in the ACC, this is a little startling. What's the reasoning behind this?
We went 10-3 with 14th ranked recruiting classes, I'm not too concerned what 2 four seven thinks about our class.

Last year (including transfers) we added four 4-star kids. So yeah, this class looks down in comparison. But I like that we are adding a lot of linemen this class.

I think we're doing ok, but not great. We have to put together a few winning seasons in a row. We needed 8 wins and a bowl last year, and totally missed.

Now we have to try to do it (if there's a season) against a much tougher schedule. This is a crucial year. I believe in Dino, but if there's a season and we play 10 ACC teams, we have to still find a way to make a bowl.

Last year (including transfers) we added four 4-star kids. So yeah, this class looks down in comparison. But I like that we are adding a lot of linemen this class.

I think we're doing ok, but not great. We have to put together a few winning seasons in a row. We needed 8 wins and a bowl last year, and totally missed.

Now we have to try to do it (if there's a season) against a much tougher schedule. This is a crucial year. I believe in Dino, but if there's a season and we play 10 ACC teams, we have to still find a way to make a bowl.
Need to start quick, get on a roll and win some games we're not supposed to.

The ACC intentionally stacked our away games against us this year. It's a bunch of garbage.

If we can pull out 5 wins, I think I'll chalk up the season to being one that was just fun to watch. If we win 3 or less, I will fall into a pit of despair and wonder if the sun will shine on the Orange ever again

The ACC intentionally stacked our away games against us this year. It's a bunch of garbage.

If we can pull out 5 wins, I think I'll chalk up the season to being one that was just fun to watch. If we win 3 or less, I will fall into a pit of despair and wonder if the sun will shine on the Orange ever again

It sure looks that way, doesn't it?

I swear every change of plans the ACC makes seems to have the requisite “How can we screw with Syracuse?” element to it.

We went 10-3 with 14th ranked recruiting classes, I'm not too concerned what 2 four seven thinks about our class.

To be fair, we've also only been above .500 once in ACC conference play with those classes and have had losing seasons for 5 of our 7 years since joining league, which correlates pretty closely to what the recruiting sites think.

How many of those kids from the 14th ranked recruiting classes contributed to the 10-3 season besides our kicker? (who I admit DID A LOT for us)/ Cisco, Trill and ???

Or...were they the players that led us to the dud 5-7 season last year??? That 10-3 season had a senior QB that was not Dino's recruit. We also gloss over those (2) 4-8 seasons (2016 and 2017) that preceded the last winning season.

Signing a bevy of camp kids w/ competing MAC offers is where we've spent a lot of our recruiting capitol. We need a serious upgrade to win 1 or 2 more each year on superior talent alone within the ACC. Ok attack me......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom