Is Tom Herman done at Texas? | Syracusefan.com

Is Tom Herman done at Texas?

Crusty

Living Legend
Big money not happy with Herman. This job is a coach killer.

Herman had it made at Houston but wasn't satisfied.

Ever since TAM jumped to the SEC UTs recruiting got diluted. Will never be the same.

It shouldn't be that state has the most d1 talent in the country unless you have Bill Bellichicks personality or grobs coaching ability you should win there.

Who are they even going to get, urban isn't doing it, kyle shannahan isn't leaving the 49ers for texas lol, those are the two dream candidates for them, herman will get an nfl OC job or just about any CFB HC job he wants plus the nice 15M buyout

Ever since TAM jumped to the SEC UTs recruiting got diluted. Will never be the same.

I mean, if you're the CEO of KeyBank you don't hang up the phone if JP's board asks you to replace Jamie Diamon

I mean, if you're the CEO of KeyBank you don't hang up the phone if JP's board asks you to replace Jamie Diamon
If you are the next in a line of good ceo's that got fired trying to manage the unmanageable it might give you pause. The grass always looks greener in the other pasture...until you get there.

Besides, UT is not what it used to be, but expectations remain the same.Better off taking your chances in the pros.

this x100.

I dont get people who say "why would they leave?" First of all...its a boat load of money. 2nd) Herman started as a GA there, how cool to come full circle. C) Texas is like a top 5 college job. They call, you take the call. 4th, successful people are often very motivated individuals who want more and more. They don't just turn off the switch.

If you are the next in a line of good ceo's that got fired trying to manage the unmanageable it might give you pause. The grass always looks greener in the other pasture...until you get there.

Besides, UT is not what it used to be, but expectations remain the same.Better off taking your chances in the pros.

Yeah, but you always leave that greener pasture a hell of a lot richer than when you entered. And when you leave that second pasture? There's gonna be a third pasture with a ton of potential.

If you believe you are a great coach, you know in the modern game you cannot win a National Championship at a Louisville or Houston. And if you are a great coach (or believe you are a great coach) you know that UT has national championship potential. Even if you fail at UT, you know that you'll come out of it with more money and just as many opportunities as when you came.

That's why Charlie strong went from one of the best non-P5 jobs, to UT, to one of the best non-P5 jobs. And you can guarantee Tom Herman has enough clout in the game to get an equivalent job to UH if it doesn't work out in UT. The biggest difference is his kids' trust funds will be seven digits deeper because he took a shot at a white whale.

I’m sure Herman could go back to Houston in a heartbeat as ole Dana H isn’t exactly killing it in The American Conference.

Tilman Fertitta would write that check and not blink an eye. Oh to have a zillionaire booster!

It’s hard to win
See i disagree. It’s really not. They have a top five recruiting class most times and still can’t do it. What is happening. Great recruiting area. Literally can’t miss. So confusing.

I’m sure Herman could go back to Houston in a heartbeat as ole Dana H isn’t exactly killing it in The American Conference.

Tilman Fertitta would write that check and not blink an eye. Oh to have a zillionaire booster!

I doubt it, guy whose fortune is tied to the hospitality industry probably not feeling overly generous right now

Rumblings are that it will be Urban.
Spite is a helluva drug.

See i disagree. It’s really not. They have a top five recruiting class most times and still can’t do it. What is happening. Great recruiting area. Literally can’t miss. So confusing.

You assume the recruit rankings are accurate but nevertheless, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee, would be in the hunt every year and they're not. (in any given year those teams annually comprise the recruit rankings top 10 to go with Georgia, OSU, Clemson, LSU, Alabama.) It's hard to win and it's really hard to win enough to be in the hunt every year.

Charlie Strong was fired with a 37-16 record. Better than Herman. His win % was actually better than Mack, though Mack coached 364 games. In Mack's last 4 years he averaged over 5 losses a year though. I assume he didn't forget how to coach either. The board has him god like status now at UNC.

You assume the recruit rankings are accurate but nevertheless, Michigan, Penn State, USC, Florida State, Miami, Oregon, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee, would be in the hunt every year and they're not. (in any given year those teams annually comprise the recruit rankings top 10 to go with Georgia, OSU, Clemson, LSU, Alabama.) It's hard to win and it's really hard to win enough to be in the hunt every year.

Charlie Strong was fired with a 37-16 record. Better than Herman. His win % was actually better than Mack, though Mack coached 364 games. In Mack's last 4 years he averaged over 5 losses a year though. I assume he didn't forget how to coach either. The board has him god like status now at UNC.

Your point on the recruiting rankings are valid. A&M moving to the SEC also have hurt as well. The Big 12 is usually a circus show and right now Oklahoma has been better coached and clearly has better offensive systems in place and recruit better for that offensive system. Obviously, Herman is no Lincoln Riley very few are.

I think Herman probably has more support that Charlie Strong did but I think he will get one more year after this.

Texas will think they can get Meyer but will wind up with somebody like Matt Campbell. I would say the UCF coach but he's an Oklahoma guy.

Another mess is Nebraska, obviously not what they once were either. Scott Frost is 9-16 and in his 3rd year and suppose to be the savior.

My overall point, big boosters love to play remember when and keep throwing money at the problem when the landscape has changed and it's harder than ever to win and recruit on a consistent basis. People just have unrealistic expectations. You still have to have to develop the talent regardless of how many stars the kids have and after awhile programs like FSU, Nebraska and Texas become less appealing due to the expectations.

Your point on the recruiting rankings are valid. A&M moving to the SEC also have hurt as well. The Big 12 is usually a circus show and right now Oklahoma has been better coached and clearly has better offensive systems in place and recruit better for that offensive system. Obviously, Herman is no Lincoln Riley very few are.

I think Herman probably has more support that Charlie Strong did but I think he will get one more year after this.

Texas will think they can get Meyer but will wind up with somebody like Matt Campbell. I would say the UCF coach but he's an Oklahoma guy.

Another mess is Nebraska, obviously not what they once were either. Scott Frost is 9-16 and in his 3rd year and suppose to be the savior.

My overall point, big boosters love to play remember when and keep throwing money at the problem when the landscape has changed and it's harder than ever to win and recruit on a consistent basis. People just have unrealistic expectations. You still have to have to develop the talent regardless of how many stars the kids have and after awhile programs like FSU, Nebraska and Texas become less appealing due to the expectations.

Nebraska is probably the one that should hire Paul Johnson. Go back to their roots.

Texas will figure it out eventually. There are just too many advantages for them not to succeed.

Nebraska is probably the one that should hire Paul Johnson. Go back to their roots.

Texas will figure it out eventually. There are just too many advantages for them not to succeed.
Its not the 80's anymore, that won't fly in the Big Ten.