Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of it is that he just moved out to Seattle. He still has all the relationships from being on the east coast. Once he has another year or 2 out here I could see him recruiting more west coast kids because it is harder to get kids to flip from coast to coast. I just think now he only knows what he knows.

That makes sense and is what I'm hoping. I just hope he doesn't pluck anybody before then, even though some dont see the possibility, despite the multiple players both schools are targetting or have offered. After he cuts connections with the Syracuse pipeline, I wish him the best!

For what it's worth, if I wasnt a SU fan and had a chance to play in Seattle(or anywhere on the West Coast), it would have appealed to me FAR more than CNY winters. I know some kids want to be closer to home, but some like Jalen Carey, have stated that distance doesn't matter. For me it will be something interesting to keep an eye on, and a potentially better measure of Hop's recruiting abilities without the help/hinderance of being attached to JB's name.

That makes sense and is what I'm hoping. I just hope he doesn't pluck anybody before then, even though some dont see the possibility, despite the multiple players both schools are targetting or have offered. After he cuts connections with the Syracuse pipeline, I wish him the best!

For what it's worth, if I wasnt a SU fan and had a chance to play in Seattle(or anywhere on the West Coast), it would have appealed to me FAR more than CNY winters. I know some kids want to be closer to home, but some like Jalen Carey, have stated that distance doesn't matter. For me it will be something interesting to keep an eye on, and a potentially better measure of Hop's recruiting abilities without the help/hinderance of being attached to JB's name.
"Distance" is a broad term. Going to games at ACC or Big East venues is one thing. It is a daunting task for your family to fly across the country.

"Distance" is a broad term. Going to games at ACC or Big East venues is one thing. It is a daunting task for your family to fly across the country.

Stevie Thompson didn't seem to mind coming here from Crenshaw High, and I am darned glad for it!! I'm guessing there would be more examples if we spread out our recruiting. I remember plenty of posts wishing we did. Of course maybe Hop is not as bright as the members here, and they should tell him he has no chance with the multiple offers he's making? I'm being sincere, because it's premature to judge his recruiting ability at the moment, in my opinion.

What I have learned though, is not to blindly accept what I see written here, even when it has a strong majority behind it. That would maybe be one of the best posts SWC75 ever did, if he wanted to list things that some accepted, which didn't hold up. Maybe these assumptions are true the majority of the time, but it's far from a law, and with this team's recruiting luck...

Stevie Thompson didn't seem to mind coming here from Crenshaw High, and I am darned glad for it!! I'm guessing there would be more examples if we spread out our recruiting. I remember plenty of posts wishing we did. Of course maybe Hop is not as bright as the members here, and they should tell him he has no chance with the multiple offers he's making? I'm being sincere, because it's premature to judge his recruiting ability at the moment, in my opinion.

What I have learned though, is not to blindly accept what I see written here, even when it has a strong majority behind it. That would maybe be one of the best posts SWC75 ever did, if he wanted to list things that some accepted, which didn't hold up. Maybe these assumptions are true the majority of the time, but it's far from a law, and with this team's recruiting luck...
Stevie Thompson was 30 years ago, and he grew up with that spanking-new ESPN/Big Monday thing affecting his decision.

Stevie Thompson was 30 years ago, and he grew up with that spanking-new ESPN/Big Monday thing affecting his decision.

Again, we stopped recruiting nationally a long time ago. It's not that kids for 30 years have thought Cuse sucked and were so much smarter than the simpleton youre painting out a mezmorized Stevie to be. Some kids dont mind going to school long distances away. Some even prefer it. Some coaches are wise enough to dip their toe in the water and find out. JB just stopped recruiting nationally, kind of similar to how he stopped playing outside of NY for most of the early season. To quote Melo, "You know how Boeheim do". It doesnt mean other coaches and recruits have to agree with JB, because there are enough who dont. The world would be dull if everyone were the same, although that concept doesnt seem to be embraced that much here.

You may have heard of Nahziah Carter? Doesnt he invalidate your theory? It took a lot less than 30 years to do it.

Again, we stopped recruiting nationally a long time ago. It's not that kids for 30 years have thought Cuse sucked and were so much smarter than the simpleton youre painting out a mezmorized Stevie to be. Some kids dont mind going to school long distances away. Some even prefer it. Some coaches are wise enough to dip their toe in the water and find out. JB just stopped recruiting nationally, kind of similar to how he stopped playing outside of NY for most of the early season. To quote Melo, "You know how Boeheim do". It doesnt mean other coaches and recruits have to agree with JB, because there are enough who dont. The world would be dull if everyone were the same, although that concept doesnt seem to be embraced that much here.

You may have heard of Nahziah Carter? Doesnt he invalidate your theory? It took a lot less than 30 years to do it.
Exceptions prove rules.

And I never suggested that Thompson was a simpleton or mesmerized.

Exceptions prove rules.

And I never suggested that Thompson was a simpleton or mesmerized.

Hop's fresh off the boat in Washington. Isnt it VERY premature to call Carter an exception?

I'd say it's easier to get a kid to go out West, than to come to Syracuse from the West. Hop has all the right to keep his relationships going. I do share your concerns though. Still, I doubt it truly effects us. We are in it with plenty of kids that probably don't want to head all the way across the country. Personally, I would love to, but I don't have a scholarship to move. Stewart probably is a dream, anyway. Just to bring it back on topic. Hop isn't stealing him. We probably don't get him, but hope we do.

Hop's fresh off the boat in Washington. Isnt it VERY premature to call Carter an exception?
It takes 2 to tango.

Hop can recruit, and he certainly would like to bring some top east coast players to Seattle. But, how many will want to make that move? SoCal/Arizona is one thing, the rainy Pacific Northwest is something else.

Carter is listed as a 3-star--who clearly closed strong. He didn't have a lot of other options this late in the game.

It takes 2 to tango.

Hop can recruit, and he certainly would like to bring some top east coast players to Seattle. But, how many will want to make that move? SoCal/Arizona is one thing, the rainy Pacific Northwest is something else.

Carter is listed as a 3-star--who clearly closed strong. He didn't have a lot of other options this late in the game.

Scout just bumped Carter up to a 4-star. The other services all still have him at 3.

Scout just bumped Carter up to a 4-star. The other services all still have him at 3.

I'm not sure why some folks on here think Hop cant close these kids when evidence completely points to the opposite. The guy is off to an excellent start, and I think some folks have just been conditioned by Boeheim to think a certain way is the "right way". Longtime, if it makes you feel any better, I want to be wrong for the head to heads and have him be impotent. I just dont see it, though.

As an aside, I wonder if Hop might actually enjoy the head to head competition with his old team. He wouldnt be the first person, it's seen by some as validation when you win.

I'm not sure why some folks on here think Hop cant close these kids when evidence completely points to the opposite. The guy is off to an excellent start, and I think some folks have just been conditioned by Boeheim to think a certain way is the "right way". Longtime, if it makes you feel any better, I want to be wrong for the head to heads and have him be impotent. I just dont see it, though.

As an aside, I wonder if Hop might actually enjoy the head to head competition with his old team. He wouldnt be the first person, it's seen by some as validation when you win.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins succeeds at Washington. He will do it with West Coast, not East Coast, kids.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins succeeds at Washington. He will do it with West Coast, not East Coast, kids.

I agree that any longterm success that he has will be largely with west coast kids, but I expect him to bridge the gap over his first few years with a smattering of east coast kids. It would be foolish if he didn't try to leverage 15+ years of recruiting contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.