Class of 2019 - PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PF Isaiah Stewart (NY/LaLumiereIN) to Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said he is "open to Syracuse," though Orange coaches "haven't expressed as much interest as other schools.":bang::bang:

Not reading much into that. Guessing it is a function of limit of two coaches on the road until recently, the focus on completing the 2017 class and the fact that JB sees every one of his games as a parent. Hope we get some early movement on 2018 so we can get back to being ahead of the curve on recruiting.

He said he is "open to Syracuse," though Orange coaches "haven't expressed as much interest as other schools.":bang::bang:

'cuz it's so far away down the Thruway to Rochester.
Sheesh. How many times do we have to hear this from our supposed "top" recruits?

'cuz it's so far away down the Thruway to Rochester.
Sheesh. How many times do we have to hear this from our supposed "top" recruits?
And the kid plays for the City Rocks, right? JB sees every game the kid plays. Probably even practices. He has unbelievable access to the kid. I don't understand the lack of contact.

That and how many Power Forwards does one program need? Two of our top targets for 18 are forwards. Not all of these guys are going to be 1 and done.

I know. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Looks like they are going all in on Carey at PG so that's it there. :bang:

I know. It doesn't make a lot of sense. Looks like they are going all in on Carey at PG so that's it there. :bang:
Carey.. hopefully still Duke... and probably still Ayala if he doesn't reclassify.

Carey.. hopefully still Duke... and probably still Ayala if he doesn't reclassify.

Right. I've been wanting what Francis said for awhile. A guy with some blow-by ability and someone who can break down a good defense and get to the rim. Ayala, IMO, is not that kind of player. Neither is Frank or HW. So hopefully Carey works out.

Right. I've been wanting what Francis said for awhile. A guy with some blow-by ability and someone who can break down a good defense and get to the rim. Ayala, IMO, is not that kind of player. Neither is Frank or HW. So hopefully Carey works out.

Nice. I'll have to give his new pod a listen.

I also want that but without Carey I don't know that we have options in that way. Duke isn't coming to us in my opinion and that leaves Ayala unfortunately. The one thing I would say is Ayala is a much better prospect than HW or Frank. I'm not excited about him but if other offers don't come like his AAU coach is saying then maybe he comes back and says he always wanted to come here. He would be a solid program kid for us and at least bring some consistency to the PG position.

I also want that but without Carey I don't know that we have options in that way. Duke isn't coming to us in my opinion and that leaves Ayala unfortunately. The one thing I would say is Ayala is a much better prospect than HW or Frank. I'm not excited about him but if other offers don't come like his AAU coach is saying then maybe he comes back and says he always wanted to come here. He would be a solid program kid for us and at least bring some consistency to the PG position.

For sure. Let's just hope we can get Carey. There's only so much a team can do if your PG cannot breakdown decent-good defenses. One would need other ways to score to overcome that. A good inside post-up game, shooting galore, etc.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Isiah. Hopkins has a good eye for talent.

Too bad that the on-going rumor is that he is a lock for Georgetown.

I actually logged on here because of this. I thought there might be more discussion. I have no idea how Hop leaving will hurt us(or help us?) in terms of his coaching ability(mixed feelings about the big's development), but I can foresee him beating us out of some great players on the recruiting trail. I like Hop and have since his playing days, but I dislike the fact that we now have a new competitor for a good number of recruits. I wish SWC75 did his laborious efforts in here too, as I'd be curious to see what teams we have the most head to head competition with, for both interest and offers, and where Washington now ranks with that.

And the kid plays for the City Rocks, right? JB sees every game the kid plays. Probably even practices. He has unbelievable access to the kid. I don't understand the lack of contact.
I know a guy on the board at Aquinas. Says G'Town is it for this kid.
JB has done this enough to know lost causes.
If things change, I am sure SU will jump back in.

I actually logged on here because of this. I thought there might be more discussion. I have no idea how Hop leaving will hurt us(or help us?) in terms of his coaching ability(mixed feelings about the big's development), but I can foresee him beating us out of some great players on the recruiting trail. I like Hop and have since his playing days, but I dislike the fact that we now have a new competitor for a good number of recruits. I wish SWC75 did his laborious efforts in here too, as I'd be curious to see what teams we have the most head to head competition with, for both interest and offers, and where Washington now ranks with that.

In my opinion and just for discussion, it makes sense for Mike Hopkins to go after prospects that he helped to cultivate: the Reid's, the Marcus Z's, the Isiah Stewart's, Mika Adams and even the Simi Shittu. He has their trust and confidence. If he gets one to accept then that goes a long way to his credit as a recruiter. To do that, he has to convince them to come to Washington which is a 3000 mile (give or take) distance from their home(s) and friends. Then, they have to be a match for what he is trying to build out at Washington. Finally (and this factor can change) near-term, Hop has to be extremely selective for 2018 because Washington currently only has one available scholarship available.

Other than that now that he is the Head Coach, will he spend as much effort recruiting as he has in the past or will that be delegated among his staff? If it is delegated to his staff, how much recruiting funds will he designate for the East Coast vice the West Coast, Mid West and Canada. I can surmise that his current staff is more experienced with West Coast, mid-West and Canada recruits than the east coast/Florida/Ohio-MI-IN-IA areas.

He may get a recruit or two early (his first year or two) but then it could peter out. So, losing a Marcus Z, a Similar Shittu or a 2019 Isiah Stewart to Washington is possible but all the factors have to fit. Example: Washington will need a big man (PF or C) for 2018, Simi would fit the bill but Marcus Z is a point. Believe that Hop has more pull with Marcus than he does with Simi. N. Reid would be a fit but don't think that Washington made his final 4.

N. Reid would be a fit but don't think that Washington made his final 4.

Reid is down to 7 schools but your point still stands as Hop/Washington didn't make the cut.

In my opinion and just for discussion, it makes sense for Mike Hopkins to go after prospects that he helped to cultivate: the Reid's, the Marcus Z's, the Isiah Stewart's, Mika Adams and even the Simi Shittu. He has their trust and confidence. If he gets one to accept then that goes a long way to his credit as a recruiter. To do that, he has to convince them to come to Washington which is a 3000 mile (give or take) distance from their home(s) and friends. Then, they have to be a match for what he is trying to build out at Washington. Finally (and this factor can change) near-term, Hop has to be extremely selective for 2018 because Washington currently only has one available scholarship available.

Other than that now that he is the Head Coach, will he spend as much effort recruiting as he has in the past or will that be delegated among his staff? If it is delegated to his staff, how much recruiting funds will he designate for the East Coast vice the West Coast, Mid West and Canada. I can surmise that his current staff is more experienced with West Coast, mid-West and Canada recruits than the east coast/Florida/Ohio-MI-IN-IA areas.

He may get a recruit or two early (his first year or two) but then it could peter out. So, losing a Marcus Z, a Similar Shittu or a 2019 Isiah Stewart to Washington is possible but all the factors have to fit. Example: Washington will need a big man (PF or C) for 2018, Simi would fit the bill but Marcus Z is a point. Believe that Hop has more pull with Marcus than he does with Simi. N. Reid would be a fit but don't think that Washington made his final 4.
I think a lot of it is that he just moved out to Seattle. He still has all the relationships from being on the east coast. Once he has another year or 2 out here I could see him recruiting more west coast kids because it is harder to get kids to flip from coast to coast. I just think now he only knows what he knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.