It’s Portal time! | Page 77 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Not sure you can credibly say you're good with 8 or 9 players after previously blaming scholarships lost from sanctions for hurting the program.
the target needs to be players that will be here for 1 year...if they wanna go hard for 22 recruiting (which I think they do).

Who are the grad transfers out there that would be willing to come even without guaranteed playing time???

the target needs to be players that will be here for 1 year...if they wanna go hard for 22 recruiting (which I think they do).

Who are the grad transfers out there that would be willing to come even without guaranteed playing time???
If he played more than 7 players consistently, that would be less of an issue

If he played more than 7 players consistently, that would be less of an issue
well i think it is bc the idea that bench players and players who dont play are likely to leave so they arent a good investment of time and resources. Why stock up your bench with braswells and newtons if they will just bounce anyway...i dont think the size of the rotation is the issue bc theres always going to be players outside of the rotation no matter how many are in it.

Not sure you can credibly say you're good with 8 or 9 players after previously blaming scholarships lost from sanctions for hurting the program.
One option though is JB’s decision - the other effects the quality of players you can even get or keep, if sanctioned.

Wonder if some coaches will start considering resources and being more selective when recruiting and developing incoming freshman players vs options the portal now gives coaches to fill their roster. Developing players who are now much more prone to transfer since there are only 200 minutes a game to split between a team roster might change many coaches philosophy on recruiting.

If I recall correctly there were many years we had less than a full roster, maybe 10 players though and used the remainder to reward walk-ons.

I think coaches may rethink spending so many resources and time on recruiting players and rely more on the portal. Spending three years recruiting a player and then they up and leave after one year is not a wise investment. It should cause some pause in their thinking.

I think coaches may rethink spending so many resources and time on recruiting players and rely more on the portal. Spending three years recruiting a player and then they up and leave after one year is not a wise investment. It should cause some pause in their thinking.
Then we need to rethink our defense.

Why chase after a new car that might turn out to be a lemon, when you can get a used vehicle that's only 1-2 years old that you've already seen in action.

Two years is clearly the max window for contributing players to want to show what they can do. Those who can do something will leave. Those who don’t get a chance will leave. Those who remain probably aren’t good enough to win at the highest level. That’s the framework to work within it seems. The model will continue to shift as the clear one-year window guys are choosing to bypass entirely at a higher level. It’s not super tricky to assess and adjust to. Doesn’t mean it’s fun but it’s pretty clear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom