Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Unless something changes drastically.

49 points tonight at home vs UCLA. That’s two bad losses in a row at home.

His teams consistently struggle to score.

I don’t see how they bring him back next year.
Agreed. He has really struggled.

Be interesting to see where he lands next year.

Yikes. They had a nice win against a good St Mary’s team in November. But then they lost center Frank Kepnang, who was turning into a defensive force, to a season ending injury in early December. And I think Wash State transfer Noah Williams is also still out due to injury.

Yikes. They had a nice win against a good St Mary’s team in November. But then they lost center Frank Kepnang, who was turning into a defensive force, to a season ending injury in early December. And I think Wash State transfer Noah Williams is also still out due to injury.
He’s had so many bad breaks through the past few years after such a great start. Every year something really bad happens with his players whether it’s injury, grades, character issues.

We dodged a bullet.

Hop inherited a quality squad from his predecessor, who was a solid recruiter / subpar game coach, and he's struggled ever since once his own players were on the roster.

We dodged a bullet.

Hop inherited a quality squad from his predecessor, who was a solid recruiter / subpar game coach, and he's struggled ever since once his own players were on the roster.
Maybe he’d be better at a mid major

He’s had so many bad breaks through the past few years after such a great start. Every year something really bad happens with his players whether it’s injury, grades, character issues.
Yep

Hop unfortunately has been worse than Romar who was about as good as they have ever had albeit "good" being relative. Hop might still get over. 500 this year but doesn't change much

I take Hop back here as HC in a heartbeat… bring in some good assts. Maybe a Tim Welsh type? Unless we really do a national search, which with our luck, won’t happen, we’ll have much better players with him at the helm. Freshman recruits and transfers.

We dodged a bullet.

He brought in Stewart and Mcdaniels. We can’t near that quality of recruit.

That’s sad

We dodged a bullet.

I wonder what his career would be like if his first coaching job would have been on the East Coast. Could he have replicated the trajectory of someone like Kevin Willard with jobs and future promotions at the MAAC/Big East/Big Ten levels.

he could be a good assistant coach for the Cuse, imo
Associate head coach, Lead Recruiter or some such... We'd have to do three things to get him to agree:

1) Hire a head coach who is unquestionably not his peer or less in experience. Hiring away another power conference head coach with a history of success. He's not going to be assistant to Autry or McNamara.

2) Pay him like a mid major head coach.

3) Publicly state that he's our next head coach if the current guy moves on.

I think it's extremely improbable, but money talks and we have underpaid our coaching staff for generations, so maybe this is the time to really pull the trigger on some coaching offers people can't refuse.

We dodged a bullet.
Yeah look at how dominating the Syracuse program - including the Boeheim duo (trio?) has been since Hop joined UW.

1672670534766.png

Yeah look at how dominating the Syracuse program - including the Boeheim duo (trio?) has been since Hop joined UW.

View attachment 223853

You're right -- we've sucked too. In no small part due to the talent pool slipping at Syracuse post-Hop.

But when Hop had two NBA starters on his team during the season referenced above, he came in last place.

No thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom