Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

When he quit playing he was head coach at Taft High School. They won a championship. Then he moved on to Pepperdine. Then to USC. Then to NBA Ignite.
He has 9 years of NBA playing experience to draw off of as well. Which comes with an automatic respect factor. Experience with every level of basketball.
He knows what lottery picks looks like he coaches them everyday. He knows how to get players into the NBA.
He gives us the nostalgia that will help ease the transition from the legend himself. Fans will immediately love him.
I want absolutely nothing to do with Jason Hart as a head coach, and that is zero disrespect to Jason Hart.

Not apples to apples, but similar career path to Rod Strickland.

Rod Strickland - 17-year NBA career (advantage Strickland)
College Coaching Background
University of Memphis - Director of Player Development/Director of Basketball Operations - 2006-09
University of Kentucky - Special Assistant to the Head Coach - 2009-14
University of South Florida - Assistant Coach - 2014-17
NBA G League Ignite - Program Director - 2018-22

Now head coach at LIU, he is 3-20 in his first season and overseeing the worst team in college basketball.

Again, Jason Hart might end up being a great head coach at the college or pro level. But he has zero experience as head coach at the Division I level. Really not sure how buying a lottery ticket like that makes sense for a school like Syracuse.

100% of east coast coaches and players have no idea who Jason Hart is. He has no recruiting ties to the east coast. We’ve seen how Hop’s recruiting has dropped since his east coast connections dried up. Hart has no connections in the east coast. Could he become a good coach? Maybe, but there’s no way in hell I would take a chance on a west coast assistant coach with zero east coast ties. At least Hop grew up on the west coast. Hop has a hell of lot more qualifications than Jason and Hop is not doing all that well. If JW doesn’t go and get an experienced head coach, you’re better off giving Autry or Gerry a shot.
Sean Miller made a successful transition from the East Coast to West Coast when he went out to Arizona.

Last edited:
i think Jason Hart would be a great pickup and his background with the program could ease the transition and begin to mold the new offense and defense. That being said, I don't think he would come here. When he did come here if I remember correctly we almost lost him because he wanted to stay back in Cali where his family is. Granted he is older and more mature but his drive to end up back on the west coast would just make us a stepping stone for him to showcase his ability and then take the next open offer.

i think Jason Hart would be a great pickup and his background with the program could ease the transition and begin to mold the new offense and defense. That being said, I don't think he would come here. When he did come here if I remember correctly we almost lost him because he wanted to stay back in Cali where his family is. Granted he is older and more mature but his drive to end up back on the west coast would just make us a stepping stone for him to showcase his ability and then take the next open offer.

I don't think he'd be eager to depart warmer weather for CNY -- he'd know full well what he's getting into, having already spent time here.

But I want to point out that the main reason he wanted to stay in So Cal was because his younger brother had a severe medical condition, and he was hesitant to go so far away.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Jason Hart as a head coach, and that is zero disrespect to Jason Hart.

University of Memphis - Director of Player Development/Director of Basketball Operations - 2006-09

Now head coach at LIU, he is 3-20 in his first season and overseeing the worst team in college basketball.

Again, Jason Hart might end up being a great head coach at the college or pro level. But he has zero experience as head coach at the Division I level. Really not sure how buying a lottery ticket like that makes sense for a school like Syracuse.
Everybody has to start somewhere.
Rod Strickland is a lot different than Hart. Rod’s only coaching experience was with USF under Antigua who was 23-55 in 3 years before he was fired. That’s it that’s his only coaching job. The others were all administrative. Also LIU is a horrible school that nobody has ever succeeded at.

Hart has been head coach at two different levels. He has high level assistant experience at USC. He coached and recruited high level players.

If you don’t want him that’s fine. But to compare him to Rod Strickland is a smack in the face to Jason Hart and his hard work and accomplishments.

Everybody has to start somewhere.
Rod Strickland is a lot different than Hart. Rod’s only coaching experience was with USF under Antigua who was 23-55 in 3 years before he was fired. That’s it that’s his only coaching job. The others were all administrative. Also LIU is a horrible school that nobody has ever succeeded at.

Hart has been head coach at two different levels. He has high level assistant experience at USC. He coached and recruited high level players.

If you don’t want him that’s fine. But to compare him to Rod Strickland is a smack in the face to Jason Hart and his hard work and accomplishments.
I think Hart would be a great choice for the reasons you outlined. He has experience in different roles, levels and comes with recruiting success. I don’t know what his coaching philosophies are but I assume he’d quickly move away from the crap we see now. He played in your face D here and I would expect the same.

He’s young, experienced, successful and has the bonus SU ties that unfortunately seem like a prerequisite. It’s probably unlikely but I’d much rather go for JHart or someone with similar experiences than one of our assistants or Hop.

“While Hart was with USC, the Trojans made three NCAA tournament appearances and had several players drafted into the NBA, including Evan Mobley, Onyeka Okongwu, Kevin Porter Jr., De’Anthony Melton, Chimezie Metu and Jordan McLaughlin. Hart’s dues were paid at USC. However, it didn’t result in any substantial head-coaching offers:

“One at Loyola Marymount University and another that was just exploratory conversation at San Jose State,” Hart said. “Once I couldn’t get a full interview with San Jose State after we went to the Elite Eight and I recruited lottery picks, nose clean, didn’t get caught up in nothing and graduated all the guys, and found diamond-in-the-rough players like De’Anthony Melton, who was a two-star, I was like, ‘Something is going on.’ So after that, I was like, ‘I am going to listen to the first opportunity I get to be a head coach.’ ”

I don't think he'd be eager to depart warmer weather for CNY -- he'd know full well what he's getting into, having already spent time here.

But I want to point out that the main reason he wanted to stay in So Cal was because his younger brother had a severe medical condition, and he was hesitant to go so far away.
In the end, money and exposure talks. He’d be paid a lot more as the head coach at Syracuse over the G League Ignite. And the G League is no doubt a steppingstone. If he has his mind set on the NBA, maybe he sticks it out in hopes of getting an NBA assistant job and then a head coaching job. But I just think Cuse would be hard to turn down, cold winter weather aside.

“While Hart was with USC, the Trojans made three NCAA tournament appearances and had several players drafted into the NBA, including Evan Mobley, Onyeka Okongwu, Kevin Porter Jr., De’Anthony Melton, Chimezie Metu and Jordan McLaughlin. Hart’s dues were paid at USC. However, it didn’t result in any substantial head-coaching offers:

“One at Loyola Marymount University and another that was just exploratory conversation at San Jose State,” Hart said. “Once I couldn’t get a full interview with San Jose State after we went to the Elite Eight and I recruited lottery picks, nose clean, didn’t get caught up in nothing and graduated all the guys, and found diamond-in-the-rough players like De’Anthony Melton, who was a two-star, I was like, ‘Something is going on.’ So after that, I was like, ‘I am going to listen to the first opportunity I get to be a head coach.’ ”

Why is this story originating out of Walnut Creek? Is that where Hart's team is based? Because Walnut Creek in Northern California is about as nice as California gets. I also think Jason Hart was like me, we spent 8 months x 4 in Syracuse, and that's it. Plus, I think he didn't even want to do that, except SU wouldn't let him out of his commitment.

It was a kidney transplant I believe that his brother has having done. But also don’t forget Harrick was all over Hart ($$$?) trying to get him to change his mind which was the main reason for JB not giving him his release. In the end everything worked out for everyone.

Also LIU is a horrible school that nobody has ever succeeded at.
That is simply not true.

They went to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments from 2010-13, and most recently went again in 2017-18.

The school is located blocks from Barclays Center, has a good facility for their level, and has plenty to offer a recruit.

The rest of your argument may have some validity, but the above shows how much research you do to assume certain things.

The fact remains that Jason Hart has never been a Division I head coach. I think we could do a lot better.

Unless something changes drastically.

49 points tonight at home vs UCLA. That’s two bad losses in a row at home.

His teams consistently struggle to score.

I don’t see how they bring him back next year.
He had such a great start at UW.

I wonder what went wrong.

100% of east coast coaches and players have no idea who Jason Hart is. He has no recruiting ties to the east coast. We’ve seen how Hop’s recruiting has dropped since his east coast connections dried up. Hart has no connections in the east coast. Could he become a good coach? Maybe, but there’s no way in hell I would take a chance on a west coast assistant coach with zero east coast ties. At least Hop grew up on the west coast. Hop has a hell of lot more qualifications than Jason and Hop is not doing all that well. If JW doesn’t go and get an experienced head coach, you’re better off giving Autry or Gerry a shot.
Connections matter little now. Money talks (and buys introductions).

Mike Hopkins was never anywhere else but Syracuse before he went to Washington. Jason Hart by default have a ton more connections throughout the CBB landscape by default. GLeague Ignite, long NBA career, etc.

“100% of east coast coaches don’t who he is” is completely BS and false lol

Jerome Tang also took a chance on Keyonte Johnson, the high rated Florida Recruit who collapsed on the floor of that game in 2020. The kid didn’t play for almost two seasons. But he has been thoroughly impressive this season at K State.
Jerome Tang is a very good X and O’s coach, overall talent for K St is just ok even with the portal additions. He won’t be at Kansas St for long.

What was Jim Boeheim’s resume and record when he took over a program that had been in the final four just a couple years earlier?

Reality is you just don’t know until they’ve been in that spot.

We’re either hiring a a proven head coach who has won elsewhere, or we’re not.

Which means, we’re either going outside the Orange alum family, or we’re not. Because there’s not one Orange alum who has been a successful head coach out there.

If we’re going Orange, Hart has a better resume than Autry or GMac or Griff, and frankly Hop has experience not doing well as a head coach. So under the assumption that it’s gotta be Orange, I’d go Hart all day based on the resumes on paper.

If we don’t want him, fine….gotta get the best HC at a school that’s below us. I, and several others here, have mentioned Wes Miller at Cincy. He’s experienced but young and has done well at smaller programs and worked his way up to a solid, storied program that is below us, and he’s still doing well. Worth mentioning!

So dont shoot the messenger on this but I have heard some rumblings about Miller to Cuse. That if he doesn’t jump this offseason and sticks there another year, we’ll offer him.

He would have a decent sense of what he would be getting into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom