Hop brought back for next year at UW…. | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Hop brought back for next year at UW….

Quade Green, Jaden McDaniels and Naz Carter.
^Bad grades, big ego freshman, alleged sexual misconduct.
He was very close to having a couple complete teams assembled. Covid shutdown seemed to impact UW harder than other schools too.

^Bad grades, big ego freshman, alleged sexual misconduct.
He was very close to having a couple complete teams assembled. Covid shutdown seemed to impact UW harder than other schools too.
Jaden’s family trashing Hop in the local scene didn’t help at all. May be the biggest one out of all of them.

Even his 1st two seasons are very misleading. They were leaking water down the stretch and the Pac-12 was weak even by Pac-12 standards one of those years. Winning a P6 conference and getting an 8 seed says a lot.

So dont shoot the messenger on this but I have heard some rumblings about Miller to Cuse. That if he doesn’t jump this offseason and sticks there another year, we’ll offer him.
Your lips to god's ear... Obviously a lot of runway between now and whenever the old man hangs it up. But I think Sean Miller would be a home run hire. Would kill it here.

He had such a great start at UW.

I wonder what went wrong.
A curse was put on him by the basketball gods after Elijah Stewart sort of bad mouthed JB In an interview w Jeff Goodman in 2020 I think. The losses piled up w talented players and then the talent dried up.

Last edited:
So dont shoot the messenger on this but I have heard some rumblings about Miller to Cuse. That if he doesn’t jump this offseason and sticks there another year, we’ll offer him.
So is there any rumblings a change is imminent this off-season?

Coaching in the G League doesn’t make you a head college coach. Case in point is Kenny Payne coming from the pros and crashing and burning at Louisville. The day to day routine is entirely different. He might be a great coach, but it would be a huge gamble that I’m not sure SU can take at this point in the program.
another example is Jerry Stackhouse at Vandy, G-League success, fourth year at Vandy and floundering, and seems to be imploding emotionally which might be a separate story

Miller would be a home run. He's had issues but he's an established winner - I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

On Hop, I know I'm in the minority, but I would be open to giving him a shot if big fish options fell through. As many have pointed out, the biggest reason our program has fallen off is talent. Hop might be the best recruiter in the history of the program, and there is a decent chance he could reignite those east coast relationships and get us back into the top 20 of recruiting rankings. That's what this sport is about.

Last edited:
Know you're the messenger but no way in heck should SU think about hiring him with the baggage/mess he left at Arizona.
Hopefully they will target Ed Cooley. He's done a great job at Providence and seems like a good father figure too.

With NIL, there is no need for Miller to cheat and offer "bags." He is a very good coach with great connections and would bring our program back to prominence.

Hop hasn't been successful, but a lot of great coaches had a rough start. Better that he took his lumps and learned some lessons on UW's dime than on ours. I think he's ready to come home.

I'd be satisfied with either guy.

Know you're the messenger but no way in heck should SU think about hiring him with the baggage/mess he left at Arizona.
Hopefully they will target Ed Cooley. He's done a great job at Providence and seems like a good father figure too.

If Sean Miller would come here and we can afford him it would be stupid not to hire him.

And we have no leg to stand on as an athletic department to try and claim some sort of moral high ground. That ship has sailed away plenty of times.

Only downside to Sean Miller has been his tournament success relative to expectations. But he’s really revamped his offensive philosophy in the year he wasn’t coaching.

another example is Jerry Stackhouse at Vandy, G-League success, fourth year at Vandy and floundering, and seems to be imploding emotionally which might be a separate story
Stackhouse is kind of a strange dude. He’s had anger management problems for a long time.

With NIL, there is no need for Miller to cheat and offer "bags." He is a very good coach with great connections and would bring our program back to prominence.

Hop hasn't been successful, but a lot of great coaches had a rough start. Better that he took his lumps and learned some lessons on UW's dime than on ours. I think he's ready to come home.

I'd be satisfied with either guy.
I’d have no issue with this.

Yeah, Miller would be a home run hire. If there's a downside, IMO, it would be Capel at Pitt chitting the bed over the next year or two, Miller gets us back to relevance, etc. and then he bolts to his alma mater. But I'd take the risk...

Yeah Hop will be a great assistant head coach for GMAC.
6CAF8852-5736-4341-979B-187EE0B1954F.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom