It’s over for Syracuse Football | Syracusefan.com

It’s over for Syracuse Football

OburgOrange

Living Legend
I’ve known this for a while, but I was always in denial. But with the recent signings of Kelly and Riley to these enormous contracts….and more to come, players getting paid at the big programs,,,,SU will never compete for a Natty ever again. College football that I once knew and loved, is forever gone

I’ve known this for a while, but I was always in denial. But with the recent signings of Kelly and Riley to these enormous contracts….and more to come, players getting paid at the big programs,,,,SU will never compete for a Natty ever again. College football that I once knew and loved, is forever gone
You mean kind of like Wake Forest? Just sayin'

You honestly thought Syracuse could compete for another national championship?

I’ll never understand this NC or bust mentality; there’s 130 FBS teams. My goals as a fan for our team are bowl games, NY6 bowl, ACC champions. In that order. Would this not be enough for some of us, being ACC champions?

That’s the idea isn’t it? 20 years ago we could. 1987 says hello. Like I said, I’ve been in denial for a long time, but reality has hit me in the head. I’ll still go to the games like I have for the last 40 years, sigh
20 years ago? When Syracuse lost to Miami 59-0? Or 1987 which is so long ago half the coaches don’t even remember that team. Listen I get this blind loyalty, it’s fun to think Syracuse can compete and maybe there is a magic season where a couple things bounce Syracuse's way and they make it to 11-1 or 12-0, but to think that in the playoff era any team outside of the blue bloods can catch lightning in a bottle is just out of the realm of reality. Cinci will likely show us that this year.

Expectations have to be realistic if we ever want to see a competitive football program again, 6-7 wins average with a couple 9 win years sprinkled in there should be viewed as a major accomplishment and grounds for a parade.

Last edited:
That’s the idea isn’t it? 20 years ago we could. 1987 says hello. Like I said, I’ve been in denial for a long time, but reality has hit me in the head. I’ll still go to the games like I have for the last 40 years, sigh

We have to hope the playoff is expanded and we hit lightening in a bottle one year. There's always a Flutie out there who can just rise the entire ship higher than ever expected.

With 4 team playoffs, VERY unlikely we get there. With 8-12 I wouldn't rule us out if things break right.

The money in college sports will flow downward. You need 100 teams to run a college football season. Live sports are the last outpost of real money on television for advertisers.

We'll be fine

Sad to say that was 34 years ago. Mac isn’t walking back through that door.

unnamed.jpg

Man, you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Sure as of right now we won’t be in the hunt every year. But as long as we are in the ACC we have a shot. You go on a run 1 season and go undefeated you get there and then that opens the door to A LOT of things….more donor money etc etc etc

Just have to have better success than what we have been to build some momentum

Man, you must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Sure as of right now we won’t be in the hunt every year. But as long as we are in the ACC we have a shot. You go on a run 1 season and go undefeated you get there and then that opens the door to A LOT of things….more donor money etc etc etc

Just have to have better success than what we have been to build some momentum
We continue to rank last in the ACC in recruiting year after year After year.

We continue to rank last in the ACC in recruiting year after year After year.

Well……………..we need a coaching change to be honest…

We have no excuse for our poor recruiting…and I don’t want to hear “there’s no kids in the northeast” or “it’s Syracuse the weather is awful”

Recruiting isn’t localized anymore, it’s nationwide and even global

Basketball has no issues bringing kids to Syracuse despite weather struggles.

You just need the coaching staff that the kids believe in and want to come play for………Dino isn’t moving that needle at all currently

Well……………..we need a coaching change to be honest…

We have no excuse for our poor recruiting…and I don’t want to hear “there’s no kids in the northeast” or “it’s Syracuse the weather is awful”

Recruiting isn’t localized anymore, it’s nationwide and even global

Basketball has no issues bringing kids to Syracuse despite weather struggles.

You just need the coaching staff that the kids believe in and want to come play for………Dino isn’t moving that needle at all currently
I don’t like the weather excuse either. Doesn’t hurt Pen St, Ohio st, Wisconsin, Mich st, Michigan , even Minnesota! And, we have a dome. So ya, weather is not an excuse in recruiting. So what is it?

And we keep changing coaches . Nothing improves

I don’t like the weather excuse either. Doesn’t hurt Pen St, Ohio st, Wisconsin, Mich st, Michigan , even Minnesota! And, we have a dome. So ya, weather is not an excuse in recruiting. So what is it?

Well, I’m going to ruffle some feathers here….

Syracuse doesn’t invest in getting younger people interested into Syracuse football.

This was the first season we saw a push for the students to attend football games in a long time so that’s a huge start.

We have 0 traditions, absolutely nothing that sets us apart on game day. In game production is awful and isn’t drawing fans.

When the defense is on the field during first and second down it’s pretty quiet in the dome. Think about some of the away games you’ve gone to. The crowd is engaged the entire time, especially on defense. With the “good” football programs I’ve gone to at away games the entire stadium is standing the entire time. They are there for the game and not some social event.

We also have a lot of people who are very complacent with where the program is and just chalks things up to “well were Syracuse.”

This $150 million sports project is a huge plus however, we had a shot at going ALL OUT on the dome and backed off and went as minimal as possible. Don’t get me wrong the dome is absolutely beautiful now, but they left a lot of things out that could have really done it wonders. Glad that they ended up doing the uplifting on the outside of the building…that helped.

Personally I would have taken the whole west side of the dome and make it glass.

Syracuse is dipping their toes into being serious about football and I truly hope they dive all the way in…..there’s a lot of money there that Syracuse could make but like anything….you have to spend money to make money

The original poster is taking some shots but there has not been one trend in college football in the last 30 years that has favored schools like SU, let alone schools that are run like SU.

Personally I don't think the ACC in football looks like it does today in 2030. Hope I'm wrong but the schools who are in this game are eventually going to tire of the check cashers.

Well, I’m going to ruffle some feathers here….

Syracuse doesn’t invest in getting younger people interested into Syracuse football.

This was the first season we saw a push for the students to attend football games in a long time so that’s a huge start.

We have 0 traditions, absolutely nothing that sets us apart on game day. In game production is awful and isn’t drawing fans.

When the defense is on the field during first and second down it’s pretty quiet in the dome. Think about some of the away games you’ve gone to. The crowd is engaged the entire time, especially on defense. With the “good” football programs I’ve gone to at away games the entire stadium is standing the entire time. They are there for the game and not some social event.

We also have a lot of people who are very complacent with where the program is and just chalks things up to “well were Syracuse.”

This $150 million sports project is a huge plus however, we had a shot at going ALL OUT on the dome and backed off and went as minimal as possible. Don’t get me wrong the dome is absolutely beautiful now, but they left a lot of things out that could have really done it wonders. Glad that they ended up doing the uplifting on the outside of the building…that helped.

Personally I would have taken the whole west side of the dome and make it glass.

Syracuse is dipping their toes into being serious about football and I truly hope they dive all the way in…..there’s a lot of money there that Syracuse could make but like anything….you have to spend money to make money
Yes, the point about the crowd not being engaged until third down drives me nuts. I was at the game Saturday, and I can understand not screaming and clapping every down of the game like a madman to throw off the other team. But, there was less than 2 minutes left in the first half, and Pitt had the ball, and I'm trying to get some rowdiness going, and cheering and yelling, but not a single person made a peep until third down. It's almost like most of the crowd can't read when to be rowdy, when to be quiet. Consistently our crowd gets loud when our team has the ball in red zone before a snap. it's quite irritating. I wish we had more fans who got into the game, sadly, I'd take a mostly full dome at this point, or a small but rowdy crowd, because it seems like we can't have both.

Last edited:
The original poster is taking some shots but there has not been one trend in college football in the last 30 years that has favored schools like SU, let alone schools that are run like SU.

Personally I don't think the ACC in football looks like it does today in 2030. Hope I'm wrong but the schools who are in this game are eventually going to tire of the check cashers.
How is this whole thing sustainable? The gap keeps widening between the haves and the have nots

Im not saying OP is wrong.

But I do think Syracuse can compete for ACC championships. The bar can’t be lowered just because Dino’s depressed us to the point of self loathing