It’s Portal time! | Page 49 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Jalen Pickett, point guard from Siena just entered the portal. Rochester native. MAAC player of the year as a sophomore.
Somewhat off year this past season, but had COVID and a hamstring injury and was still first team all league.

Jalen Pickett, point guard from Siena just entered the portal. Rochester native. MAAC player of the year as a sophomore.
Somewhat off year this past season, but had COVID and a hamstring injury and was still first team all league.

Pickett’s stats are really impressive. 6’4. Pretty good outside shooter, can score and gets a lot of assists.

Question about the portal...is the portal for basketball only or for all NCAA sports? Are swimming, track and baseball transfers all go into this same portal or is there a portal for each sport?

If JG3 wants to quit BB and go play football for us does he enter the portal to be recruited by the FB side?

Can the portal get over crowded with too much pounding?
Every sport has its own transfer portal.

To play a different sport, you don't need enter the portal. You're free to talk with any school and they're free to talk with you.

Pickett’s stats are really impressive. 6’4. Pretty good outside shooter, can score and gets a lot of assists.

I would love for us to go after a really good PG like this kid. I’ve never been bullish on Girard, even as a freshman, which is why I was so happy when we got Kadary and you could tell he had all the skills we’ve been lacking for years. We’ll see if Joe can improve a lot in the off-season but I have doubts. I want a really athletic guard like Kadary with good passing skills who can attack off the bounce and get into the lane.

Word from UConn land that Kadary was essentially signed, sealed, and delivered to SH prior to him even announcing. UConn tried to make a push but it was already a done deal. Hey a two game suspension for a player like Kadary seems like a risk worth taking for Willard.
So I recently listened to the Locked On Syracuse podcast from April 1 with Daily Orange reporter Anthony Dabbundo as the guest, and he said that Kadary leaving is not a decision that had been made last week. It was a decision that had been brewing since late January. Apparently Kadary or his camp started putting feelers out that he might want to go elsewhere at that point. So it looks like there was back-channel tampering from Willard and his staff yet again, though initiated by Kadary.

Also, Dabbundo said that when he tweeted something back in January about Kadary’s outside or 3-point shot looking worse than in high school, one of Kadary’s assistant coaches at South Shore High in Brooklyn responded that Kadary can shoot, it’s about being allowed to shoot. The reply was something like, “take the handcuffs off him and you’ll see he can shoot. How can you say his form is horrible when he doesn’t shoot the ball?” So clearly JB handcuffing Kadary from shooting 3s was one of the big issues with “freedom” that Kadary was unhappy about. Btw, Im sure Allen Griffin really appreciates these high school coaches making the situation worse instead of telling a player to keep working and the time will come when he has free reign to shoot. JB said publicly on several occasions that Kadary’s shot was better than advertised, that he could make em if he was open, and that Gmac would fix his mechanics in the off-season to address any issues.

Last edited:
So I recently listened to the Locked On Syracuse podcast from April 1 with Daily Orange reporter Anthony Dabbundo as the guest, and he said that Kadary leaving is not a decision that had been made last week. It was a decision that had been brewing since late January. Apparently Kadary or his camp started putting feelers out that he might want to go elsewhere at that point. So it looks like there was back-channel tampering from Willard and his staff yet again, though initiated by Kadary.

Also, Dabbundo said that when he tweeted something back in January about Kadary’s outside or 3-point shot looking worse than in high school, one of Kadary’s assistant coaches at South Shore High in Brooklyn responded that Kadary can shoot, it’s about being allowed to shoot. The reply was something like, “take the handcuffs off him and you’ll see he can shoot. How can you say his form is horrible when he doesn’t shoot the ball?” So clearly JB handcuffing Kadary from shooting 3s was one of the big issues with “freedom” that Kadary was unhappy about. Btw, Im sure Allen Griffin really appreciates these high school coaches making the situation worse instead of telling a player to keep working and the time will come when he has free reign to shoot. JB said publicly on several occasions that Kadary’s shot was better than advertised, that he could make em if he was open, and that Gmac would fix his mechanics in the off-season to address any issues.
Good stuff - by the law it is tampering for sure, but if the player reaches out first....

I realize we have our guys and all but of all years to hit the transfer market hard this would be the year. So much talent. Although he didn't do much of anything at Tennessee so who knows. Not sure if he just didn't see the court due to talent or other issues?

When I saw pickett was transferring I became dreamy lol. No chance he ends up here but it would be such a huge addition. I home Symir balls out but it instetly made me think what if(though even then I don’t think it would’ve mattered)
he has the profile the team needs at guard...never seen him play but that is the profile.

When I saw pickett was transferring I became dreamy lol. No chance he ends up here but it would be such a huge addition. I home Symir balls out but it instetly made me think what if(though even then I don’t think it would’ve mattered)
I wouldn't be as bullish on Pickett as his stats indicate. He rarely dribbles with his left hand, and competent ACC coaches will pick up on that right away.

They quote Hubert Davis in that article as saying he intends to try to recruit Kessler back into Tar Heel blue. I wish JB had done the same with Kadary. Clearly these OG coaches like JB are having a hard time with the new college basketball transfer realities. They need to adjust what they’re doing and how they handle kids going forward.

They quote Hubert Davis in that article as saying he intends to try to recruit Kessler back into Tar Heel blue. I wish JB had done the same with Kadary. Clearly these OG coaches like JB are having a hard time with the new college basketball transfer realities. They need to adjust what they’re doing and how they handle kids going forward.

how do you know he didn’t? And if k was leaving as far back as the beginning of the season, that’s a different story.

That isn't apples to apples. Apples to apples would be G-Mac taking over and trying to re-recruit Kadary.

Coach Hopkins and Washington have 5 or 6 in the portal. He is the ultimate players coach and good guy. it's just the state of college basketball today. Everyone looking for greener pastures. Some find it and some find the Hall.

Cuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom