It’s Portal time! | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

He’s not counting Chaz. Quincy is gone. And Frank is in as of now.

That’s my read.
I remember when Howard Triche was discounted by many and he came on to be a starter. Not saying that Chas will be a starter on a contributor, but not saying it couldn’t happen.

JB also said we lost 2 guys who “probably would have started this year”. I assume he meant AG and Q but the comment implied the transfer portal, not the draft - wonder if he was implying Kadary would have started

I guess running 5s in practice with 10 legit D1 players isn’t an important thing anymore. Ridiculous
9 + Chaz is workable, IMO.

We only had 9 in 2003, but we had football player Xzavier Gaines as a walkon, plus a couple other reportedly stronger than normal walkons in Tyrone Albright and Ronneil Herron who could hold their own.

But if we were only to have 8 + Chaz and then be left with a true walkon in that 5 on 5 too...yeah, that’s not ideal IMO.

Its weird, there are scholarships available but no minutes and transfers want path to PT

I guess its hard to find a recruit who is willing to buy into a year 2 or year 3 projection to being in the rotation

I bet they take a recruit from HS late this spring who is holding out for a Power 5 level offer who would normally get one but isnt because of the portal this year

We only had 9 in 2003, but we had football player Xzavier Gaines as a walkon, plus a couple other reportedly stronger than normal walkons in Tyrone Albright and Ronneil Herron who could hold their own.

But if we were only to have 8 + Chaz and then be left with a true walkon in that 5 on 5 too...yeah, that’s not ideal IMO.
It just seems like there's no harm in adding another kid or two when there's going to be hundreds left in the portal at the end of summer. I'd rather have the emergency 11th man be a mid/low major level player, like a JBA, than a walk-on.

It just seems like there's no harm in adding another kid or two when there's going to be hundreds left in the portal at the end of summer. I'd rather have the emergency 11th man be a mid/low major level player, like a JBA, than a walk-on.
I actually see that scenario happening. There will be left over players in the portal and we might extend to one or two and say, limited minutes might be available.

I guess running 5s in practice with 10 legit D1 players isn’t an important thing anymore. Ridiculous
It’s an interview in April. Things change. It’s logical to approach the portal with caution since the vast majority of kids there want what we can’t give. We just learned that lesson. Let it play out and then pick/choose what makes sense when the thousand+ kids no longer have delusions of grandieur that the portal will solve all their issues.

It’s an interview in April. Things change. It’s logical to approach the portal with caution since the vast majority of kids there want what we can’t give. We just learned that lesson. Let it play out and then pick/choose what makes sense when the thousand+ kids no longer have delusions of grandieur that the portal will solve all their issues.
This is correct. ^^^ I love your “delusions of grandeur line.” 100 percent true. So many of these kids have an insanely inflated view of their talent and NBA prospects.

We had McNabb on a team in the 90's that made it pretty far in the tournament too.

Maybe having a football player as a walk on is the secret...

Last edited:
We h

We had McNabb on a team in the 90's that made it pretty far in the tournament too.

Maybe having a football player as a walk on is the secret...
My vote would be for Rhino. Put him at any position, I bet he excels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom