It’s Portal time! | Page 78 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Can guys transfer in the fall semester to join a different team for the spring semester. Has that question been answered yet?

I mean I don’t really feel like looking. But has anyone seen anywhere how many P5 players are transferring that played more then 20mpg this year. Just curious if there is a percentage or anything. For example 15% of P5 Transfers played at least 20 minutes. Just curious

I mean I don’t really feel like looking. But has anyone seen anywhere how many P5 players are transferring that played more then 20mpg this year. Just curious if there is a percentage or anything. For example 15% of P5 Transfers played at least 20 minutes. Just curious

Adam Miller started all 31 games at Illinois and played 25 mpg...

haven’t seen anything on that. The only metrics I’ve seen are that a little over 30% of D1 players are in the portal and that 100 schools have 5 or more players there.

When is the deadline to enter your name in the portal?
July 1 for this year. Normally it would have been May 1 for fall winter sports like football & basketball, and July 1 for spring sports. This year they voted to push everything to July 1.

ouch

Um, yeah. That doesn't math.

So - 30% of all hoops programs will willingly go with fewer than 13 players, because - reasons?

(this doesn't include the Super-Seniors like CDB, who don't count against the 13 cap)

I'd imagine a lot of those 30% will end up scrambling for sub-optimal landing spots, and many would likely have been better served never leaving in the first place.

But it's highly unlikely that they won't find a place, period, to play.

... and THAT, is pretty much the only way Syracuse will land a backup guard and/or forward.

So - 30% of all hoops programs will willingly go with fewer than 13 players, because - reasons?

(this doesn't include the Super-Seniors like CDB, who don't count against the 13 cap)

I'd imagine a lot of those 30% will end up scrambling for sub-optimal landing spots, and many would likely have been better served never leaving in the first place.

... and THAT, is pretty much the only way Syracuse will land a backup guard and/or forward.
Like I said the article was talking about football. They didn't cover basketball. I will try to find the article again to link here if I can.

There’s a share in there (could be 10% or could be 40%) that’s tarnished and not seen as worth the potential trouble/risk. There’s a bigger pool of players than the portal...and many coaches (like ours, for now) could be trading off depth for the chemistry that comes from everyone clearly knowing their role and buying in.

Like I said the article was talking about football. They didn't cover basketball. I will try to find the article again to link here if I can.
I think things will be similar for basketball.

I expect a significant number of coaches unwilling to add players to their rosters to go from say 10 or 11 to 13 for fear of losing more players who get upset when transfers are added.

Unless the coaches think the new player is going to make a significant immediate impact, I bet a bunch of coaches choose to ignore development/depth type players.

The players hurt the most will be the ones at the back ends of the lower end programs.

The transfer rule in a good idea in theory. But there will be some unintended consequences. Hoping a lot of the negative stuff will settle down as the restless types make that one time immediate change and get it out of the way.

Didn't see this one coming. Really nice pick up for Hop.

Interesting backstory on this kid. He was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome and they never thought he would play competitive sports. He was cleared to play late in life l, so he is a late bloomer. Worth a read if you have a few min. Good job, Hop.

I think things will be similar for basketball.

I expect a significant number of coaches unwilling to add players to their rosters to go from say 10 or 11 to 13 for fear of losing more players who get upset when transfers are added.

Unless the coaches think the new player is going to make a significant immediate impact, I bet a bunch of coaches choose to ignore development/depth type players.

The players hurt the most will be the ones at the back ends of the lower end programs.

The transfer rule in a good idea in theory. But there will be some unintended consequences. Hoping a lot of the negative stuff will settle down as the restless types make that one time immediate change and get it out of the way.
Not sure if discussed, but any news on JBA? Seems like he should have been picked up somewhere by now.

Here you go.

The person projecting 30% will be left without a spot is Shane Lyons, West Virginia AD and chairman of NCAA football oversight committee.

The article also acknowledged in basketball many contacts are made pre-portal entry through personal trainers and high school coaches indirectly to skirt the tampering rules.

I don't think this is a "math" problem. It is more of a fit problem.

If there were only five people in total in the transfer portal, from five schools but one at each position from 1 to 5, they vacated five spots, they have no landing spots...unless another school forced someone out, withdraw an offer or have an unused scholarship. Of course you can play out of position, or some 5s can play 4s and some 2s can play 1s, but do they want to?

Some kids want a chance to start, some a better fit, some closer to home, some didn't like their school coach teammates system whatever, and some forced out because they see their minutes diminishing from others transferring in. Not all of them will find a landing spot.

Obviously, having a landing spot, to most, means a "better situation" then the one you left to enter the portal. So I don't think of a Kentucky transfer looking for a better role is truly thinking Holy Cross or Charleston Southern University as real landing spots.

Just saw an ESPN article on the transfer portal on football, they expect about 30% of those in the portal will not find a landing spot.
Bronco Mendenhall spoke about this in a Twitter/Facebook broadcast with UVa donors. He said that there were way, way more D-1A people in the Portal than there were landing spots. In his broadcast, Tony Bennett said that the combination of the portal and immediate eligibility is going to make roster management very difficult.

Bronco Mendenhall spoke about this in a Twitter/Facebook broadcast with UVa donors. He said that there were way, way more D-1A people in the Portal than there were landing spots. In his broadcast, Tony Bennett said that the combination of the portal and immediate eligibility is going to make roster management very difficult.

along those same lines I heard a discussion on the radio with a college coach who said that it’s also hurting high school players in that some kids who were borderline D1 aren’t getting offers now for D1 because coaches are going to go portal instead and grab kids with some experience plus talents that have shown already.

Maybe he should see if JB would take him back?
It might not happen with JBA, but I could see this occurring with others. It already has to some degree with players changing their minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom