It is impressive how improved this team is | Syracusefan.com

It is impressive how improved this team is

Status
Not open for further replies.

RF2044

Living Legend
There were signs early [such as the passing / ball movement] that this year's squad might play a more impressive brand of team basketball. But when you think about how far they've come, it is amazing.

Not only is Boeheim a helluva coach, but you have to give the kids a lot of credit for working hard, competing, and not folding up tent when the season seemed ready to go off the rails.

They are playing like an NCAA tournament team now. It really is a shame that we stubbed our toe against VT / ND the first time -- if we'd closed out those winnable games, we'd be in first place in the conference, and probably ranked. Hope those two losses don't come back to haunt us in the end.

But focusing upon today, hats off to JB and the team.

There were signs early [such as the passing / ball movement] that this year's squad might play a more impressive brand of team basketball. But when you think about how far they've come, it is amazing.

Not only is Boeheim a helluva coach, but you have to give the kids a lot of credit for working hard, competing, and not folding up tent when the season seemed ready to go off the rails.

They are playing like an NCAA tournament team now. It really is a shame that we stubbed our toe against VT / ND the first time -- if we'd closed out those winnable games, we'd be in first place in the conference, and probably ranked. Hope those two losses don't come back to haunt us in the end.

It is a bummer we lost both of those and couldn't pull out even one decent non conference win. Given the improvement the margin of error the next 3 games is zero. Have to win them all to not only look like an NCAAT team on the court but also in the standings.

If we can get the good break we deserve in Eli coming back for one more season we can be a serious problem. This team with a full year of experience under their belts is a top 20 team in the country and can compete at the top of the ACC

they key is avoiding the sweeps and get a couple of your own

That should be easier with Grayson Allen gone. ;)

I'm curious if he is a fan of the Cobra Kai show? I know I am.

(For those not familiar wiith the chant, it was "Sweep the leg, Grayson", based on the line near the end of the original Karate Kid movie)

Last edited:
I said this from the start that this team would come together by the end of the season and that by next season would be hitting their stride. They are ahead of pace IMO.

Buddy and Girad have really stepped up. QG giving solid minutes off the bench. Dolezaj really performing far better underneath.

It feels good to be playing winning basketball again...

I think it pleases all of us (except those not posting these days) that the team has shown the continued improvement that many of us felt they would.

My only personal disappointment is that Jesse doesn't look like he will be able to give us meaningful minutes this year. I still hold a lot of hope for him next year.

I think it pleases all of us (except those not posting these days) that the team has shown the continued improvement that many of us felt they would.

My only personal disappointment is that Jesse doesn't look like he will be able to give us meaningful minutes this year. I still hold a lot of hope for him next year.
When Jesse gains some strength, he's going to be a lot of fun to watch in the paint.

The bolded part is the most important part of your comments. The team is gelling together and they are dangerous. No, not ready to be 1-seed, but this team is better than the early season Orange looked like; which happens to be another JB quality - Prepare for the Tourney, not just the others you play in conference.

For the record, I do not think JB should resign, I believe he has a few more good years left in him.

JB always has a vision as to what he hopes his team will look like. Sometimes it comes to fruition, other times not so much.
The most significant thing he stated about this team is that they simply weren’t prepared for the high level of those first few games. It gives insight to why he always loved the cupcakes to start seasons, since easy wins help build confidence and identity.
To his credit, he has never wavered on their getting better with more experience, and he was right. We’re starting to see that vision round into shape. He’s a HOFer for a reason. We look like “Syracuse” again!

I'm with you on Jesse, being I see something in him that gives me excitement for the future.

As for disappointment, I might add Goodine in to a lesser extent. The team certainlly could have benefitted if things had worked out better for him this season.

Hold on...we had a 17 point lead in firstbhallf and held on to win by one...now were a Tournament team.

It's crazy to think that this team is actually just a few good posessions away from being 6-1 in conference right now. I'll admit that I was spending some time on the "We Suck" train earlier in the season, but my hope is slowly coming back

Hold on...we had a 17 point lead in firstbhallf and held on to win by one...now were a Tournament team.
1579446575923.png

If we can get the good break we deserve in Eli coming back for one more season we can be a serious problem. This team with a full year of experience under their belts is a top 20 team in the country and can compete at the top of the ACC
I would feel more comfortable if we could get a more competent center on the team. I appreciate the comeback Sidibe has made from his knee problems and this is not meant to be a knock-Sidibe post but he is still a below average D1 center. Can you imagine how this year's team would be with even a slight scoring threat inside?

Not yet but at least it is within the realm of possibilities. No matter how you look at it, the team is playing better than earlier in the year and is probably beating the expectations of most.

Lot of positives but almost blowing it to VT again is cause for concern. But I don’t think any of the 3 top ACC teams are automatic losses. And we are pretty even with everyone else. So hopefully this keeps up. Washington and Guerrier look like serviceable 6/7 guys. Loved Howard going for all those steals. Hated the threes down the stretch each jacked and missed badly.

We really should be 5-1 in the ACC which is crazy to think about

Perhaps instead of crazy, it's more of a reflection of the league being considerably down this year. At this moment, IMO, it appears the league has 3 locks, Louisville, Duke and FSU. It appears that UVA now resides with the "rest of the pack" and nowhere near the sure thing type sentiment JB gave the impression they were in his post game presser after the season's opening game.

Out of this cluster, we could finish as high as 4th in the league to as low as 10th or so, without there really being much at all that separates any of those teams. I'm not sure what these other teams out of conference records are against other quality P5 type opponents, etc., but I know ours is bad. With that said, I could easily see a case where if we finish 4th or 5th in the conference, a team finishing say 7th or 8th could get in over us depending on its OOC record, quality wins, etc.

I said “playing like a tournament team,” not predicting we are in. Ultimately, the pre-conference o-fer plus the home losses to VT and ND will probably sink us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom